Buildings and capturing cities

Asklepios

Warlord
Some really basic questions, would appreciate your collective knowledge:

1) How does the game decide which buildings you get to keep or not when you capture a city? Do you get to keep them all?

2) What about Unique Buildings? (I'm pretty sure they turn into generic versions, but would like this confirmed)

3) What about Free Buildings in the city? Do they remain, and do they stay free of maintenance?

4) What about your own Free Buildings? If I have Tradition's 4 free monuments, and my fourth city ever is a captured one, do I get a free monument in it? Is it dependent on whether I puppet/annex?

Some really basic questions, would appreciate your collective knowledge:

1) How does the game decide which buildings you get to keep or not when you capture a city? Do you get to keep them all?
I'm not sure about this one, I know you don't keep all the buildings upon capture but I'm not sure which it lets you keep.

2) What about Unique Buildings? (I'm pretty sure they turn into generic versions, but would like this confirmed)
Unique buildings are turned into the generic versions, or your own unique building (Like a bank turning into a Hanse if you are Germany).

3) What about Free Buildings in the city? Do they remain, and do they stay free of maintenance?
No, unless a wonder in the city gives it to you free or the both civs have the same social policy for the free building.

4) What about your own Free Buildings? If I have Tradition's 4 free monuments, and my fourth city ever is a captured one, do I get a free monument in it? Is it dependent on whether I puppet/annex?
I think the free monument is the first 4 settled cities, but I'm not exactly sure on that either.
Hope that helped a little bit!

Regarding which buildings are kept. This is dependant on the XML tag "ConquestProb" which I believe is a percentage. If its' 100 (like most wonders) then it is always captured. if it's 0. (like Cultural buildings) they are always destroyed.

yeah, I read somewhere that there's randomness upon each capture so the more buildings there the better the probability more will be kept. I found this to be true. And yes, certain ones, like cultural ones, seem to get destroyed easier, whereas miltary builds seem to stay more easily. Wonders always stay unless they are national. The exception to this seems to be defense works which I've never seen kept, but this makes sense because you have to breach (destroy) them to get into the city.

I haven't dived into the code though, this is just offhand observation.

Wonders don't get destroyed but all the other buildings and national wonders could get destroyed. Great works of all types can get stolen by the capturer.

Only settled cities? Not annexed ones?

I am not really sure about this, but I believe Legalism gave 4 monuments to the first 4 settled or diplomatically acquired cities. The ones you capture won't get it. The part that I am unsure is the diplomatically acquired cities actually (which also fall in the "annexed cities" category, if they are not puppeted).

Only settled cities? Not annexed ones?

In my current game I captured a few cities (annexed a capital) before settling a 4th, and got no free buildings, when I did settle my 4th later, I got a free monument+aquaduct to start. So I think even trading cities would work the same as they aren't originally "your" first 4 cities as the raze/annex/puppet still applies.

In current game, I catpured an AI city before finishing Tradition.
I had free aqueduct after annexed it and finishing tradition.

Unique buildings are turned into the generic versions, or your own unique building (Like a bank turning into a Hanse if you are Germany).

Once it happened to me when I took over an Arabian town that it kept the bazaar. Might have been a glitch but I experienced this.

In current game, I catpured an AI city before finishing Tradition.
I had free aqueduct after annexed it and finishing tradition.

I just had something similar happen to me, I founded a city and was wondering where my aqueduct was. I think it went to my puppet city.

I once received a city in a peace deal that had a writers guild in it. It was terrible, couldn't delete it and build it where I wanted it.

Suspect he puppeted the city. Can only delete buildings in cities you've annexed or are razing.

Top Bottom