Supply System Brainstorm

The supply reduction from technology is there to ensure you have a proper infrastructure to maintain an army rather than beelining technology asap to get supply up.
Again not really seeing how that's different than today. Ultimately a lot of the supply boosts I get are from various buildings (unlock by tech) that I build. In this model that doesn't change, its not the tech that gets me supply, I still have to build the infrastructure to do so, but that infrastructure still has to get locked along the way.

Asking teh question. If we mostly did away with pop based supply, and focused mainly on flat bonuses....would we even need supply reducers from tech?

Its strange that we balloon up supply but then beat it down with a stick due to tech. If we are truly doing a cleanup, maybe we just start there.
agreed, I used to understand what was happening with supply, but that was years ago. Now I just see a number and shrug -- often the number changes during the same turn, its bizarre tbh. Like when AI is moving, my UI shows that I have more supply than when its actually my turn to move

Again not really seeing how that's different than today. Ultimately a lot of the supply boosts I get are from various buildings (unlock by tech) that I build. In this model that doesn't change, its not the tech that gets me supply, I still have to build the infrastructure to do so, but that infrastructure still has to get locked along the way.
I think the reduction from technology tries to simulate that era advances, we need more to supply a unit. It must be very different to supply a battleship than a galley. Before we can make galley costing 1 supply while battleship costing 10 for example, the reduction from technology is a better way.

In my mind supply should be based upon : Material used ie steel/Aluminum/oil/Uranium for Battleship for example then supply by population so to crew a battleship would be less than crew for an infantry unit and more than a fighter

Battleship uses 1 or more oil / 1or more Aluminum a low% based population supply (2000 crew average for battleship)
A fighter 1oilo r more/ 1Aluminium , a single pilot extremely low based pop supply ( 1 or 2 pilot(s) /1 rear)
A infantry unit a medium or high% based population supply (5000 for average brigade up to 10,000 for some )

Supply bonuses could be given in circumstances such as Policy Paths, Warlike civs, happiness of populations, type of Ideologies, going tall vs wide etc

Industry can have more "Ships" , "Planes" - less popsupply
Imperialism can have more "Melee units" - "drafts"/conscripted/volunteers more %pop

Supply negative bonuses.. Unhappiness, going rationalism populations prefer science path rather than defence.

also if loosing many melee units could have an impact on population for every 10 units loose say -1 pop to all cities loosing too many ships/planes affect happiness and increase %gold cost

just throwing some ideas

R.E.D. World War II Edition is an excellent mod by introducing 2 resources to supply units, personnel and material. The former correlates with food, while the latter correlates with production.

Building or Healing a unit both have a cost of personnel and material. Infantries cost more personnel, while a tank cost more material. Healing also cost is a very important change. Elongate war cost a lot even you are not losing any units.

In my mind supply should be based upon : Material used ie steel/Aluminum/oil/Uranium for Battleship for example then supply by population so to crew a battleship would be less than crew for an infantry unit and more than a fighter
R.E.D. World War II Edition is an excellent mod by introducing 2 resources to supply units, personnel and material. The former correlates with food, while the latter correlates with production.
I like these ideas -- would love to see a modmod project that adds these intermediate resources to the mix in VP. I've thought on this topic a bunch but just don't have time to delve into it fully, hoping I might start adding these one at a time, starting with something simple just to see how AI handles it. The RED ww2 model might not be a perfect fit for the broader scope of VP, but I would be interested in playing something inspired by it, perhaps.

Any changes to VP itself should probably stick to simpler things like tweaking the existing integer-based supply system and financial costs -- maybe room for food as well

Top Bottom