No coal?

Zaimejs

Emperor
I am allied with two city states that have coal. The coal is mined. I cannot pay to give them gifts to mine it. I've been allied with them for about ten turns or more, but I'm still not getting their coal.

Why?

I've never had this happen before. Another city state has iron, and I'm getting that resource, but not the coal.

Maybe the city state is giving you another resource or the mine is pillaged. I've never had this happen to me before.

Are the CSs using the coal for some other processes?

Are you using Mods?

They have not researched the tech for coal yet.

It's this. City-States research tech when a certain number of civs have that tech, so if you're the first to Industrialization the city-states don't know they have coal and therefore cannot give it to you.

It is a pretty annoying mechanic. Last game I played I was building spaceship parts before anyone else knew about the wonders of aluminum and had to get all my aluminum from Recycling Centers. :|

It's this. City-States research tech when a certain number of civs have that tech, so if you're the first to Industrialization the city-states don't know they have coal and therefore cannot give it to you.

It is a pretty annoying mechanic. Last game I played I was building spaceship parts before anyone else knew about the wonders of aluminum and had to get all my aluminum from Recycling Centers. :|

As a slight clarification: it's when a certain number of civs that have met the city state have researched the tech. Not really relevant when you're talking about coal, but for example if you're playing islands, you pretty much have to research the relevant tech if you want the city state to hook up a lux before turn 50-100 (depending on how isolated you are).

I've never used the option, but can't you pay 200 gold to hook it up for them? Or do they have to have the tech researched for this too?

Also, since city states appear to be granted any tech that any two civs has; having this issue is a strong indicator that you've already effectively won your game.

OKay, that makes sense. I am playing on King. I'm just playing the game to fulfill an achievement... complete the order path.

The thing that was weird is that both the coals are being mined... that's what fooled me. I should have guessed that no one else was industrialized yet.

Thanks!

Man I am having the exact same issue in my game right now and was wondering what the deal was. I didn't have any coal on my land and was going crazy as to why they weren't giving me their coal.

Man I threw so much money at them to the point that if I start a fresh campaign they would still be allies!

If you play at higher levels they will research it quicker and will hook it up earlier. If you are playing King or below it will take quite some time for them to research it.

That begs the question:
Where the recycled aluminum come from to begin with? :lol:

Would the ability to gift techs to CS for favor and opening up resources be a solution?

Would the ability to gift techs to CS for favor and opening up resources be a solution?

Not really needed; anyone with a long delay for AL or Oil is more than ready to play at the next higher difficulty level.

That begs the question:
Where the recycled aluminum come from to begin with? :lol:

:lol: was asking myself the same thing when I read that... Perhaps even without the aluminum resource the civ STILL has aluminum, just not in the industrialized/massive quantities needed that would count as military/strategic "resources". Then with the recycling centers you're able to make something more strategic out of those limited quantities.

Lol thinking about it, it would mean recycling centers are actually a military installation, taking resources from the civilians and turning them into military resources!!!! :crazyeye:

:lol: was asking myself the same thing when I read that... Perhaps even without the aluminum resource the civ STILL has aluminum, just not in the industrialized/massive quantities needed that would count as military/strategic "resources". Then with the recycling centers you're able to make something more strategic out of those limited quantities.

Lol thinking about it, it would mean recycling centers are actually a military installation, taking resources from the civilians and turning them into military resources!!!! :crazyeye:

Yeah I have an image in my head of soldiers going dumpster diving to secure enough Bud Lite cans to replate their Abrams tank and police issuing tickets to civilians who threw the cans away in the first place.

On a general level i find the lack of resources annoying as hell, especially if CS allies have it and don't give it because of tech.

My last 5 (6?) science games, I found myself without aluminium, 2/3 of my games seem to lack coal and i seem to never have oil……

all can be overcome vet, but this annoys me greatly.

On a general level i find the lack of resources annoying as hell, especially if CS allies have it and don't give it because of tech.

My last 5 (6?) science games, I found myself without aluminium, 2/3 of my games seem to lack coal and i seem to never have oil……

all can be overcome vet, but this annoys me greatly.

Anything below Emperor the CS get it way too slow. Even on Emperor it can take a while for the CS to hook it up, or even have the ability for you to pay them 200g to hook it up.

Top Bottom