Communitas Strategic Resource Poll - THE RESULT

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
The polls have finished up, so lets check in and see if we can glean any results.

Our Total Population: Now that we are using voting as a standard practice, this gives us some understanding of our total "voting" population. Based on current results, the max amount of votes any proposal has recieved as about ~80 votes. So we can say with high confidence that the voting population is no more than 150. This lets us tighten up the margin of error for our various polls.

Detailed Results
Spoiler :

Coal Poll 1
Margin of Error: 8.5%
1​
1.41%​
2​
5.63%​
3​
28.17%​
4​
42.25%​
5​
11.27%​
6​
11.27%​
With 6 cities, our poll says that people want 3 or 4 cities fully invested with coal before additional coal is added (such as through refineries). We cannot statistically say whether 3 or 4 is preferred. So that is 6-8 coal for a 6 city empire.

Coal Poll 2
Margin of Error: 11.6%
1​
0.00%​
2​
0.00%​
3​
4.17%​
4​
10.42%​
5​
14.58%​
6​
41.67%​
7​
16.67%​
8​
4.17%​
9​
2.08%​
10​
6.25%​

For 10 cities, our poll has a clear winner, 6 cities (or 12 coal).

Strategic Resource Poll

Horse
Margin of Error: 11.8%
Too Little
9.09%​
Just Right
81.82%​
Too Much
9.09%​

Just Right

Iron
Margin of Error: 13.2%
Too Little
8.82%​
Just Right
73.53%​
Too Much
17.65%​

Just Right

Coal
Margin of Error: 13.6%
Too Little
68.57%​
Just Right
28.57%​
Too Much
2.86%​

Too Little

Oil
Margin of Error: 14.7%
Too Little
36.36%​
Just Right
63.64%​
Too Much
0.00%​

Inconclusive: Too Little and Just Right are both within the margin of error.

Aluminum
Margin of Error: 12.5%
Too Little
3.03%​
Just Right
18.18%​
Too Much
78.79%​

Too Much

Uranium
Margin of Error: 12.1%
Too Little
14.71%​
Just Right
79.41%​
Too Much
5.88%​

Just Right

Summary of Results / Conclusion
Spoiler :

Coal (6 cities)6-8
Coal (10 cities)12
HorseJust Right
IronJust Right
CoalToo Little
OilToo Little or Just Right (Inconclusive)
AluminumToo Much
UraniumJust Right

Conclusion: So my take away from this result.

Aluminum is simply too high on the map, that seems clear by the poll.

For coal: I think the issue is, coal is given out about 7 per civ on the map right now. So that seems fine for your 6 city civs, that is what the polls roughly expect for coal. I think the issue is, expanding generates very little extra coal, and so even though people want more coal for a bigger civ, the map doesn't provide that. As such in general people found coal too tight on the map.

Knowing very little about map making, I feel like the idea would be to keep the 7 per civ as now, but then have some followup where it sprinkles some coal farther away from the starting spots to give more coal for exanding civs.

Last edited:
I read the coal polls as suggesting about 1 extra coal per city is expected, after the first 6 getting your "free" 6-8. You can get +1 coal/city by removing the cap on refineries, no? Something to think about.

As mentioned in the original thread, coal spawns in grassland/plains. So if you're playing civs with affinity for tundra or desert, or with low terrain priority compared to others on the map, it's possible you're just being placed outside of these regions, and that would explain a perception that coal is rarer than expected.

Spoiler For reference, these are the terrains for each resource, according to the Civilopedia :

ResourceGrasslandPlainsDesertTundraSnowHillsForestJungleMarshCoast+Ocean
Coal✔️✔️✔️
Oil✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️
Aluminum✔️✔️✔️✔️
Uranium✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️
Horses✔️✔️✔️
Iron✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️

What about dropping Aluminum from Plains as a starting point? Cut down on its most prevalent terrain type, makes space for more coal, and adds a dichotomy of coal v. aluminum, where depending on your place on the planet one will be available, and the other will need to be imported. Unless you go out of your way to play around how the resources spawn, which is just good play in my opinion.

Cutting down aluminum won't make "space for more coal". Coal and oil are designed to be mutually exclusive, but aluminum is its own thing that only appears on dryer places.

I'am suprised that people voted oil just right. In my game on communitu 79a map version 2.6.3. Whole continent with 22 cities and 5 city state has only 1 hex with 3 oil in the water and 1 hex with 2oil in city state area. It is not too little it is like absolute 0 oil. I was going to have some fun with landships and whoooops .... quit the game :mad: . Smallest continent has 13 oil on land and the biggest one 16 oil for 4 civs with around 40 cities. So it is like 0 oil here too. (I checked hexes with cities too).

I'am suprised that people voted oil just right.
So technically they didn't. The vote was a statistical tie between just right and too little, we cannot tell which one is actual.

That said, ultimately strategic resource balance is something to look at over the course of many games. I have had games where coal was very high, I have had games where aluminum was very low. I just found those times were the exception not the rule.

Is it possible to split up resource deposit reveal onto multiple techs? The first wave of coal tiles is revealed at the industrial era and then the next wave is revealed at biology, and then the last wave at some late game tech.

Or maybe techs can increase yields from existing deposits. So for example bronze working reveals all the iron deposits but they are capped at 2/3 iron max and then engineering adds +1 iron to all iron deposits, and then dynamite adds another +1

Top Bottom