[Suggestion] Great Diplomat

Circuit

Writing Letters
One unit I'd like to see added would be the Great Diplomat. A Great Diplomat would be earned by being on the winning side of World Congress votes a certain number of times (kinda like how Great Generals are earned by XP). The Great Diplomat would be able to travel to other civs and, like a Great Prophet, perform a diplomatic mission. It would nullify or remove diplomatic penalties from other civs, or, if there are no penalties, give a "Your Great Diplomat visited them!" diplomatic boost. This could help counter the annoying permanence of diplomatic penalties. It could also grant influence over city states. The Great Diplomat's tile improvement could be a Customs House, which, when built adjacent to a city, would make foreign trade routes have more favorable yields (more benefits for the player, less benefits for the other party).

If this isn't added into the base game, I'll probably make a mod for it.

I really like the idea! It seems fairly balanced.
I would also suggest that the GD could advance towards or unlock social policies. Since these are no longer necessary to win culturally, I think it wouldn't be game-breaking.

Might as well add Great Pariahs in the game as well. Lowers unhappiness of population. Grants free workers as well. I mean at some point it starts getting ridiculous with all the great people.

I like the suggestion, but it is broken. Just a tool for the human player to abuse against a runaway AI where a DoW is imminent.

Isn't the Customs House already the Great Merchant's tile improvement?

It's a cool idea, though, the diplomat—maybe you'd want to tie it to the actions of diplomats (the new counterparts to spies) instead of the World Congress, though. I don't think there will be enough Congress sessions per game for them to accumulate Great People (two votes, every thirty turns—so even in a really long game on a Pangaea map, you're only going to get about twenty votes at standard speed).

Maybe the GD could be spent by stopping a war (that you are involved in) completely, or by stopping a CS participation in a war with you?

Stopping a war is not a good idea. With this, you could have someone rushing a few of your cities and then forcing peace without letting you retake your cities. Then he has 10 turns to fortify...

how would this work in multiplayer?

Good question. It would have to be entirely revamped when playing against a human. I think it could be spent to force a five-turn peace treaty/ceasefire, after which war can resume. Granted, with teams, GDs could become a problem, but the GD should not be too easy to earn and be rare.

I think they should be able to give you an extra vote or something like that too

One unit I'd like to see added would be the Great Diplomat. A Great Diplomat would be earned by being on the winning side of World Congress votes a certain number of times (kinda like how Great Generals are earned by XP). The Great Diplomat would be able to travel to other civs and, like a Great Prophet, perform a diplomatic mission. It would nullify or remove diplomatic penalties from other civs, or, if there are no penalties, give a "Your Great Diplomat visited them!" diplomatic boost. This could help counter the annoying permanence of diplomatic penalties. It could also grant influence over city states. The Great Diplomat's tile improvement could be a Customs House, which, when built adjacent to a city, would make foreign trade routes have more favorable yields (more benefits for the player, less benefits for the other party).

If this isn't added into the base game, I'll probably make a mod for it.

And the point of this in multiplayer would be?

Top Bottom