Upgrade to Missile Cruiser

vplus

Chieftain
Just a quick one here. Should: A)the Destroyer; B) the Battleship; or C) both the Destroyer and the Battleship upgrade to the Missile Cruiser?

I enjoy having a capable fleet, though by the time I reach the Information Era, my Navy is hopelessly outdated :)c5strength:55 & :c5rangedstrength:65 vs the later :c5rangedstrength:100). When I do unlock the Missile Cruiser, my entire Navy (some of which I've nurtured all the way up from li'l Triremes) is obsolete, and I can't transfer those hard-earned promotions into my final ship. Personally, I'd go for option C), as the Missile Cruiser has characteristics of both the Battleship and the Destroyer, though I suppose option D) none of the above should be available too ;)

Destroyers, Cruisers, and Battleships all have different roles.

Destroyers are designed to be fast, light hitting ships that have a hit strength of 35 but a movement rate of 8.

Cruisers are designed to be slower (7) with more firepower but is 50 shields more expensive.

Battleships are very slow, with a movement rate of 4.

So, all 3 naval units have different strengths and weaknesses. I don't want to move Civ back to a 1 ship class navy. Diversity in this game is good!

The could always tweak the cruiser and have it upgrade from one of the two, then also make an upgrade to the other one. Or make upgrades to both of them and just have the missile cruiser be better than both of them. Or, of course, do nothing, but yeah.

Cruiser should lose ranged attack and become Destroyer upgrade imo. Would make most sense. Current layout of naval units and their (non)-upgrades in late game is absolutely horrible.

The naval unit line suffers from basically having been one upgrade path now bisected. There definitely needs to be a few more naval units added in to fill the gaps where one starts to be obselete. This is especially noticeable in how Triremes don't turn into anything at all until the Renaissance, and Destroyers just stop where they once upgraded into Battleships.

I do think Missile Cruisers should be Battleship upgrades, and Destroyers upgrade into...I dunno, some kind of Icebreaker that can sail through and remove ice from the map.

The naval unit line suffers from basically having been one upgrade path now bisected. There definitely needs to be a few more naval units added in to fill the gaps where one starts to be obselete. This is especially noticeable in how Triremes don't turn into anything at all until the Renaissance, and Destroyers just stop where they once upgraded into Battleships.

I do think Missile Cruisers should be Battleship upgrades, and Destroyers upgrade into...I dunno, some kind of Icebreaker that can sail through and remove ice from the map.

Historically, triremes weren't obsolete until the late 1400's, well into the Renaissance.

I like how these three are now: destroyers sink subs and are effective against planes, cruisers carry missiles and shoot down planes, and battleships are slow-but-deadly.

They need to include galleons for something between a caravel and a frigate, improve the role of the ironclad, and maybe add super-carriers?

Top Bottom