Attila Deity Domination Guide

I know this thread is old but I have just come across it and really wanted to see a video at the end :(

I know this thread is old but I have just come across it and really wanted to see a video at the end :(

I'm glad you resurrected it, The Huns are my favorite CIV and I read every word of this thread. I'm looking forward to trying this out next time I play a Huns game, I've done pieces and parts of this guide but not it all.

So after about 1.5 years later I decided to try this again on deity :) Unfortunately I forgot I had just submitted a HoF game on tiny map so as I was 30 some turns in the game I realized it wasn't standard size. But then again this is a nice way to get my first dom win with Attila. I'll work on standard size next.

Anyway, Great Plains is a perfect map for this even with my less than ideal start. If you can get a good start in the middle with lots of cattle and/or horses for uber production you are golden. I was in the NW corner with just two cattle and not much else and I still got my 1st win with this guide albeit on Tiny map. Finally :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

Decided to test this with Assyria and got a win on tiny map also. Beelined mathematics built 4 seige towers along with some chariot archers and later a few composite bowman.

Took a while longer than Atilla but only around 10 turns more. Not sure how this would hold up on standard size map however. Great Plains makes for easy travel and juicy capitals on flat land.

I've tried this a few times this weekend and it seems entirely based on whether the map makes it easy to get to the capitals or not. If they aren't you lose, if they are you win.

Well there are a bit random factors but none of them are dealbreaking tbqh, for example if you hit an upgrade ruin as Warrior, they turn into a Ram, and you can easily take out a nearby capital with that. If not, 2 more Archers before the Horse Archers will do the trick.

Attempted this on a standard size map, and I'm going to throw this save up to see if anyone can offer any suggestions on how to salvage it. Out of about 15 attempts at this, this is the closest I've come.(background: I can sci/dip win on deity no sweat, and anything on immo is no challenge, deity dom eludes me)

It might look like I'm about to raze rostock and then move on to surround Moscow, however...Cathy gets Cossacks next turn, and it starts going belly up.

I realize the turn count has gotten late, but there was a bunch of jungle around my start that slowed things down.

I'm guessing I could get this win on small/tiny easily, but that seems to really be skewing it to the rusher.

Attachments

• Attila_0161 AD-1010.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
Save requires the map packs so i can't help you. If you still have the T0 autosave i might hex-edit it to see how i would have started. I'm not the best domination player but with Huns it's all about speed and if you had jungles near capital, it might have been better to move a few turn out of the jungle (jungle is really bad for early game)

Yes, I just kept going despite jungles slowing me down a bit, since it was the best I had done. Usually I get 2, 3 tops caps.

The save is just a standard Pangea, not sure why it won't open. It is G&K.

You created it with the map packs DLC enabled so my copy of Civ refuses to open them because i don't have them, even thought it would work perfectly, being as you said a standard pangea. Guess it's Firaxis way to try and force us to buy a lame DLC.
I can Hex-edit a T0 autosave to remove the references to the DLC, but i can't do it on something saved later.

Ahh I see

I attached the initial, and two shots of the map as it stands.

Honolulu has a serious choke point, once I found it, I sent those troops to join the ones I had up north to try and punch into Russia. I started keeping cities once happiness worked itself out on its own really. I ended up with my own religion despite never building a faith building of my own, I took out enough before they formed one and Mecca had Stonehenge - also Alhambra

Almaty is a liberate, Quebec was too, but somehow went unfriendly the turn after, so I reloaded and just puppeted it.

If I don't pull those units back from Rostov, I start losing them to Cossacks. If I do pull them back, I can't get anywhere and in 20 turns Russa is putting out great war infrantry.

Attachments

• AutoSave_Initial_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    513.3 KB · Views: 189
  • map1.jpg
    map1.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 309
  • map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 234
Hard to tell from the screenshots alone but i fear there is not much to do. You probably lost the momentum some time ago but didn't realize until it was too late.
Not sure why you even bothered to go after Rostov though, it's utter crap in the middle of snow. Trying to take Moscow immediately after St Petersburgh would be the right move, but 68 :c5strength: is probably a lot for Horse Archers. Also frigates are deadly at your unit level.

Attilas Court is really small for T160, even going full conquest so is suspect you have some lower level economical issues. How many cities did you found? With the Huns it's possible to found only the capital but then you need to take a good city or two very fast (ideally a nearby AI capital with an early Battering Ram) so you still make some science and gold and more importantly, you don't run into the unit cap (when you start loosing production). With few small cities, you won't be able to sustain an army large enough to take Deity AIs fast. It's easy to forget to grow when going to war (working too many mines to get troops faster is a common mistake).

Maybe you should first practice on the map stormtrooper412 linked a few posts above. It's immortal so more forgiving than Deity. Some players finished it on T107.

I'll see if i can open the map.

because there aren't enough safe places to shoot at Moscow with Rostov still there, the HA can take a city with defense that high, but they all need to be able to shoot every turn. Plus she is popping units out of Rostov on the flank if I try.

court is small because it has been producing 99% units for 150ish turns, and set on mines yes, I didn't get the impression from the guide that much growth was called for. I only founded the one city by a natural wonder. I get Berlin on turn 40, and Stockholm on 56. Then it's a loooong walk to india and poly, who both have more cities to burn through now. It costs me 40 turns getting through jungle and burning India's cities on the way to get Delhi, but then I have Mecca 15 after that.

That slowdown is obviously what cost me momentum big time, but I don't think there is a work around on the map. The bad choke point at Honolulu means going that way runs into a major slow down too.

immortal is so much more forgiving that deity that it is no challenge, I can win everytime and be far sloppier than in this game, not interested in going back.

just kind of being stubborn on this one, since I got 4 caps in. I got an even peace with Cathy will see if it holds and I can turtle to arti or not.

With a capital that small, you won't be able to go artillery without having air support. Growth is important unless the map can be finished with current era unit, which in your case impossible with many caps to go. On turn 200 on deity, some AI can get to atomic, or even information era, and I hope they aren't on your map or else they might launch SS. I would suggest you start learning how to do domination with industrial era domination with artillery, and then slowly pushing it back to earlier eras (XB/CA/keshik, then to CB/HA) to learn the basics of what to build. Some player suggests selling science building and stopping growth once you reach the desired tech needed to finish the game, but unless you have experience, you might not be able to tell what tech is needed to finish the map. In your case, the rough terrain literally delayed HA by so much that it can't finish.

That slowdown is obviously what cost me momentum big time, but I don't think there is a work around on the map. The bad choke point at Honolulu means going that way runs into a major slow down too.
Probably why i don't like full early domination rushes myself. Map can make it very hard for you and without prior knowledge it's easy to start a rush strategy only to find out you have been delayed too much. I prefer to keep some economy to sustain a longer game (thus my comment on the size of your capital). Much safer, even if less optimal for fast finish times on a map that could be rushed.

There was an interesting Huns DCL in the past. If i remember correctly it was a continent map so you could rush your direct neighbors, but then you were forced to wait for inter-continental warfare.

Also i get a crash when i try to open the hex-edited map. I can get them to work most of the time, but apparently not this time. Still from your description and the screenshots it looks like it really wasn't the right map for an Attila rush. I i had to play it knowing what you said i would probably try to take the early (Berlin and Stockholm) then focus on growth and finish in industrial era with an HCA strategy (Pedroelm style)

Top Bottom