Austria UA Question

Byrsa Suffet

Chieftain
I’m wondering if anyone has run across this situation when playing as Austria. As I’m sure many of you have seen, in some wars involving allied city-states, a city-state might actually manage to conquer another city-state or capture a city from a civilization. If, as Austria, you are allied to a city-state that has captured another city, what happens if you decide to pay to annex the city-state? Do you get both cities? Is the captured city automatically liberated or given back to its original owner?

very interesting. that would be worth trying to marry a CS that has 2 cities.

very interesting. that would be worth trying to marry a CS that has 2 cities.

I would love to try that but I've never seen a CS capture another CS.:(

I've only seen it capture civ cities and it's always razed them in my game.

Edit:
Guess I could try and force this scenario by gifting a lot of units to a CS ally and declaring war on one of it's neighboring CS's.

I've had it happen, but I wasn't Austria. Clicking on either city brought up the city screen for the capturer state. I think you would get the same choice Austria normally gets, if it was another city-state (puppet or annex). Dunno what would happen if you married into a CS that was holding a regular civ's city.

i got a CS to take a CS in vanilla but not in GnK yet. but Austrias UA makes for an interesting conundrum.

I’ve seen it happen before in a few games, including my most recent in GnK. In Vanilla, it was a funny little proxy battle between two warring civs, and one CS captured another CS. In GnK, Milan captured an Ottoman city. In both cases the captured city was razed, but it still takes a couple of turns to completely raze them.

I always chuckled when CS manage to perform so well militarily, it seems so cute, lol.

I’ve seen it happen before in a few games, including my most recent in GnK. In Vanilla, it was a funny little proxy battle between two warring civs, and one CS captured another CS. In GnK, Milan captured an Ottoman city. In both cases the captured city was razed, but it still takes a couple of turns to completely raze them.

I always chuckled when CS manage to perform so well militarily, it seems so cute, lol.

Yeah because most of the time their 'brilliant' military commanders send their units away from the field of battle.

A city state in my game captured the old spanish capitol Madrid (the byzantines had owned for a long time and they joined a war or something on the other continent and captured it).

I got both when I married into the CS. Was kinda fun :D Capitol and CS yes thanks. And I didn't even have to build courthouse in the old capitol. ^^

If you play Austria, hunt happiness and gold. CS eating is awesome. TONS of troops for almost nothing.

okay, 1 confirmation on the multi-city marriage at least. i might have to try that.

My bet goes on the game crashing :D

I would love to try that but I've never seen a CS capture another CS.:(

I've only seen it capture civ cities and it's always razed them in my game.

Edit:
Guess I could try and force this scenario by gifting a lot of units to a CS ally and declaring war on one of it's neighboring CS's.

Well it seems like they try to do that to other CSes only to realize that they can't burn it down and are stuck with an extra city.

Well it seems like they try to do that to other CSes only to realize that they can't burn it down and are stuck with an extra city.

Which is really a shame because having multi-city City States (from conquests) would be a neat/interesting thing to see in the game. It's just so rare for the combination of prerequisite events to happen now that I've never seen it and I bet most other players haven't either.

Plus, I feel a little bit mislead because the official literature states that city states won't found a second city but they can capture other cities. They made me think it was something that actually happens when it reality it's always auto-raze when it's not another CS or capitol being captured.

Top Bottom