The paintings in the loading screen

OrangeNinja

Chieftain
I loaded my game today, and while loading I saw the picture in the background.
Can't get a screenshot because when I paste it in some editing program is turns out blank.

Anyway, I looked into the game's folder and couldn't find where the game loads it from (in a normal, jpg/png format ofc)

If anyone could direct me to the right folder or extract them somehow (as long as it's not forbidden), I would be very grateful. I would really like to make one of them as my wallpaper.

Thanks, and I hope it's in the right forum.

Yay! I'm not the only one to have them as backgrounds. ;)
What I can find so far:

To extract the pictures from the files you'll need to go (I assume you have G&K):

Your Steam Civ V folder > resource > DX9 (all the following files are in this folder)

- Loading screens for G&K: the file called Expansion1UITextures, the pictures are called loading_1, loading_2 etc. But some are modified pictures of wonder concept arts, if you want those go to...

- G&K wonder concept arts: Expansion1UITextures, the pictures are called wonderconcept(wonder name), e.g. wonderconceptcntower.

- Vanilla wonder concept arts: UITextures, same naming principle as G&K wonders.

Some loading screen pictures are taken from those paintings for city state screens, I'll have a look and see where they are.

Update: more paintings.

- Religion founded painting: Expansion1UITextures, the one called found_religion_background.

- Victory paintings: UITextures, called victory_(victory type), e.g. victory_cultural.

- Wonders of the Ancient World concept arts (not sure if it's available without the DLC): AncientWondersTextures, ones called wonderconcepttemplezues (not Zeus somehow), wondermosuleumhalicarnassus and wondertempleartemis.

- City state screen background: Expansion1UITextures, called citystatebackground(city state type), e.g. citystatebackgroundmaritime.

Yay! I'm not the only one to have them as backgrounds. ;)
What I can find so far:

To extract the pictures from the files you'll need to go (I assume you have G&K):

Your Steam Civ V folder > resource > DX9 (all the following files are in this folder)

[...]

Thank you very much.

I'm using PakBuild to unpack the files , but every time I select a folder to unpack to, nothing happens.

Any idea on how to extract those files?

Thank you very much.

I'm using PakBuild to unpack the files , but every time I select a folder to unpack to, nothing happens.

Any idea on how to extract those files?

Happy to help.

Extracting didn't work for me either, I just took a screen shot of them and pasted it on a picture editing program. At least the pictures are bigger than in-game screen shots (because of the lack of borders).

Happy to help.

Extracting didn't work for me either, I just took a screen shot of them and pasted it on a picture editing program. At least the pictures are bigger than in-game screen shots (because of the lack of borders).

Took a screenshot from in-game? but they're covered with the loading and the game's logo...

Not sure I understand what you mean.

Edit:
nvm, I used Dragon UnPacker to open the .fpk file and extracted it to a folder, and using another program converted the .dds files into .jpg's.

Thank you for your help! :)

Took a screenshot from in-game? but they're covered with the loading and the game's logo...

Not sure I understand what you mean.

Edit:
nvm, I used Dragon UnPacker to open the .fpk file and extracted it to a folder, and using another program converted the .dds files into .jpg's.

Thank you for your help! :)

What I meant was using Dragon UnPacker to get a preview of the file and then taking a screen shot of the preview, but your method seems much better.

Again, you are welcome! :)

What I meant was using Dragon UnPacker to get a preview of the file and then taking a screen shot of the preview, but your method seems much better.

Again, you are welcome! :)

Regarding the victory and other wonders paintings, I guess they aren't available in higher resolutions..?

A bit tangential, but speaking of the loading screens, I love most of them! Very nice art, and a nice touch to give us different and interesting scenes to look at while loading up (the game). But a funny thing I noticed- the one with a fancy carriage making its way up a winding, snow-covered road to a fancy castle in the distance... there are some people riding horses in front of the carriage, and the woman is wearing summer clothes! No coat, bright summer dress, legs bare up to the knees, gauzy sunhat, etc. She would freeze to death in about 2 minutes, dressed like that. Either the artist did that as an easter egg, or they painted the people one way then decided to make it a winter scene instead of a summer scene, or the like. Really looks incongruous, once you notice it.

whoever made those "paintings" should get lots of credit. They are done in an impressionist style and every one of them is an artistic gem. I looked over the credits for Civ 5, but the art team listing doesn't specify who did these.

Top Bottom