Win11 Civ3 Complete (using Conquests there) doesn't save edited scenarios properly

Kyriakos

Creator
Every biq file I tried to edit in the scenario editor, simply doesn't appear in the game when loaded - no option to choose the new file.
The files are there in the folder.
Never happened to me before - but I wasn't using Win11 before.
Any way to solve this? :)

The game's folder is in Programs86 (likely plays a role, but if I move it elsewhere then other stuff don't work - like keepres=1).

PS: the folder always creates issues with authorizing saved files; for example, I can't edit a pcx and save it directly over the older file, instead I have to save in other folders and then copy/paste from there. Which is why I heavily suspect the folder setting is special (but I didn't manually set it to anything special). But in the case of the scen editor, while the program allows you to save in the folder, it does not allow you to save elsewhere (it gives a 'broken path' error message).

Last edited:
The x86 Program Files folder has been stringently write-protected by default in all versions of Windows for the past 15 years or so (since ... WinVista?), as a security measure. All "foreign" programs need to be set to run as Admin, to be allowed to write to it. So if you haven't set the Civ3 Editor to run as Admin, your .biqs are likely getting Virtual-Stored somewhere the game .exe can't find them.

Best solution is to uninstall Civ3 from Program Files, and then reinstall in a non-protected location specified by you, such as C://Games.

The x86 Program Files folder has been stringently write-protected by default in all versions of Windows for the past 15 years or so (since ... WinVista?), as a security measure. All "foreign" programs need to be set to run as Admin, to be allowed to write to it. So if you haven't set the Civ3 Editor to run as Admin, your .biqs are likely getting Virtual-Stored somewhere the game .exe can't find them.

Best solution is to uninstall Civ3 from Program Files, and then reinstall in a non-protected location specified by you, such as C://Games.
Thanks, just running the editor with admin privileges did it :)

Top Bottom