My opinions of Brave New World

Callonia

Deity
I have now at least one completed game on prince difficulty. I'm currently on king because prince is too easy for me but whatever. Wanted to finish at least 1 game.

-New barbarians and the hordes of them showing up in far greater number than before is a real pleasure for me who typically have raging barbarians enabled. I think they increased spawn rate of encampments and units by 100%.

With right terrain, it's possible to wonderwhore while only having 4 units for defense against 50+ barbarians trying to get at your shiny wonders to plunder. They tried so hard but failed horribly, the terrain was just simply not in their favor.

New barbarian units make me happier than before, they now have that nibbling bite back again instead of trying to bite you while toothless. They're still too easy atm :p

-Happiness system of civ 5 still sucks. There's still a point of where heat death will occur if you play on a map long enough. If you killed everyone and took over every city state and let population grow until you finally exhausted every point of happiness enough for you to drop to -20. Have fun with dystopia you created xD

-You still cannot insult the AIs back short of yelling words at your monitor.

-There's still no events.

-World fair and international games is one time deal. If they're going on and you barely can contribute.. suck it up and go for bronze. Its better than getting nothing.

-World Congress is very funny if you're number 1 honcho in the world because you can watch major civs squirm as they realize that you're now dishing out payback and they can't do anything about it.

World Congress is extremely helpful if you're weak but you managed to contact everyone first? Like you're bottom or in middle of pack but you have hiawatha or zulus gunning for you? Hit them with embargo very hard and watch their armies vanish into vapor and their advance be halted. Zulu faceplanted onto dirt right onto my borders. That's how close it was for me in other game on king.

World congress is bit of all about money you can make and friendships you built up with major civs/city states.

Major civs that hate your guts won't give you support with their delegates no matter what you do. So don't piss them off too much and you'll be fine although.... I had like over 10 red modifiers with few civs but they used to be my buddies so they didn't mind giving me their delegate support in exchange for resources and cash.

Is your Ideology in trouble? Your Autocratic buddies dying from butthurt waves? Work together very hard to get world ideology chosen for autocracy to turn the tables on Freedom lovers and possibly wipe out at least one or two freedom civ.

7 Freedoms
3 autocratic
2 orders

Due to civ choice and geographic layout..
Freedom pressured autocratic hard enough to make one convert.
last two autocracies managed to get world ideology chosen for Autocracy to turn the tables onto the freedom. So it went from that to

8 freedoms
2 autocratic
2 order

World Ideology apply 2 extra pressure which basically turned it from that into.. Plus eliminating a Freedom Civ completely from game as in wiping them out.

7 freedoms
4 autocratic
2 order

And the backlash went onto Freedom plus order. Order had it coming, they just sat and watched autocracy suffer.

You seriously have to be proactive. I practically had colonies all over the world with armies on them ready to act at moments notice. This fact came into handy for me in crushing the most influential Freedom civ because I already had troops in place to go deal with byzantines.

-How ideologies affect the world?
Autocratic Austria switched to freedom after being pressured so hard.
She will become your enemy But since we used to be such tight buddies, it took Austria like 30 turns or more for her to forget the past and start hating you because you're autocratic and not freedom.

Honestly it was weird because I went to her aid and battled against freedom civs trying to take her out.

Power Blocs doesn't really form.. same failings still happen from civ 3-4-5. Even if they're now Freedom buddies, they still hate each other guts because of built up history. But they will hate you because you don't' follow same ideology.

-Technology progression is surprisingly slowed down!

I got to pummel byzantines with my landships, something which never happened before, normally i never have time to play with them at all but I got to use them for like 80 turns. :)

And I just recently upgraded all of them from landships to panzers at like turn 480 even then, I'm looking at about 100 turn lifespan or more of my panzers now.

Part of that reason is because I expanded quite huge despite having 1.8k science, I don't see myself researching modern armor tech fast.

-Gunboat Diplomacy

Lol. This is awesome tenet. See that cluster of city state allies? Send over a small fleet and have them patrol the waters or settle a city there and have it grow up as you have that small fleet patrol. If you are powerful enough, they will fear you and give you free influence every turn. 6 influence every turn. Since they see that you're here right next to them, they see that it's better to be buddies with you instead of some useless faroff major civ who won't even come to their aid if you decide to conquer them.

For me 5 destroyers was enough. That fleet can take cities on their own xD Plus I was number 1 leader in score. This tenet would let you combat against well entrenched city states if you have enough time.

Cons of brave new world

Firaxis has managed to create an great expansion but AI is too horrible to even take advantage of it and make the world alive.
AI armies on Prince is too tiny to be even considered a threat at all.

Lemme tell you how weak major civs on prince difficulty is....

Due to changes Firaxis made to BNW which resulted in Barbarians having vastly huge army that actually threaten you where major civ will only send 10-20 units to attack a random city of yours and die horribly while barbarians actually attack with some kind of ferocity.

Yup. :(

BNW is great expansion but AI isn't up to the snuff for it.

I went all warmongering on Freedom/Orders cuz they not Autocracy :p

sorry dude, but i have a fastly different outlook on BNW.

World fair... it got to over 1000 culture per turn! I initiated it, bought some votes, got some citystates (culture ones ofcourse!) and smooth sailing from there...

Barbs, yeh they are fun, yeh they pillage some routes (sea-based mostly since i dont have the might to guard every tile).. but hardly a problem...

Happiness, if anything it's even easier.... and you can always set your cities to avoid growth or rework some farms into trading posts... and honestly, you should have won by then...

so my personal opinion of BNW is that i can move up a difficulty level and still win using my preferred playstyle (which isn't stealing workers for instance...)

Top Bottom