Designing Civs for an expansion

Champi27

Proletarian
Well, I saw a Firaxicon conference about how BNW civilizations were chosen, and I thought that it could be fun to think about what would Firaxis choose now with the same criteria. In this thread you'll have to choose 9 civs with the following criteria and giving reasons for each chosen civ:

1. The Most Popular (Zulus in BNW): Which civ do you think community desires the most?

2. The Fanatic Nation (Poland in BNW): Which nation is claiming too much to be in Civ?

3. The Historical Missing Piece (Portugal in BNW): Which civ do you think has been very important but is not included?

4. The Exotic Newcomer (Morocco in BNW): Which country do you think is so much beautiful that has to be in Civ?

5. A New Way To Play (Venice in BNW): Which civ do you think would have a new gameplay style?

6. A Former Colony (Brazil in BNW): Choose one: Canada, Australia or maybe Colombia?

7. A Native American (Shoshone in BNW): The Inuit, the Sioux or the Pueblo?

8. An Ancient Middle-Eastern Civ (Assyria in BNW): Sumer, Hittites or Israel?

9. South-East Asian Civ (Indonesia in BNW): Vietnam, Khmer or Burma?

Well, I saw a Firaxicon conference about how BNW civilizations were chosen, and I thought that it could be fun to think about what would Firaxis choose now with the same criteria. In this thread you'll have to choose 9 civs with the following criteria and giving reasons for each chosen civ:

1. The Most Popular (Zulus in BNW): Which civ do you think community desires the most?

2. The Fanatic Nation (Poland in BNW): Which nation is claiming too much to be in Civ?

3. The Historical Missing Piece (Portugal in BNW): Which civ do you think has been very important but is not included?

4. The Exotic Newcomer (Morocco in BNW): Which country do you think is so much beautiful that has to be in Civ?

5. A New Way To Play (Venice in BNW): Which civ do you think would have a new gameplay style?

6. A Former Colony (Brazil in BNW): Choose one: Canada, Australia or maybe Colombia?

The community might desire a productive civ that could keep producing units and what not for todays community needs.
Most civilizations had some kind of deitic belief so people often moved into better areas. Like animals migrating but instead for some kind of local OP being.
I think most important civilizations are in. Im usually not near a civilization that wasnt mentioned.
When it comes to beauty, most civilizations had something similar and that wasnt really apparent in civilizations.
Gameplay styles could be copied by other civilizations. Any civilization could play OCC if they wanted to.
Canada was in as a city state, quebec, Australia had Sydney opera as a world wonder and colombia had Bogotá as a city state.
Native american civilizations were too UP to be in. It almost seems lucky, im guessing.
Jerusalem was in as a city state and it is the capital of Israel. That area has descended into terrorist suspicion.
Khmer was already in civilization 4. Indonesia and the whole Pacific ocean could add other civilizations that originate from other areas in the world and vice versa.

There aren't very many civs left... but I'll try
1. The Most Popular: Sumeria

2. The Fanatic Nation: Ireland

3. The Historical Missing Piece: Visigoths

4. The Exotic Newcomer: Armenia

5. A New Way To Play: Chola

6. A Former Colony: Australia

7. A Native American: The Nazca

8. An Ancient Middle-Eastern Civ: Hittites

9. South-East Asian Civ: Vietnam

Well, I saw a Firaxicon conference about how BNW civilizations were chosen, and I thought that it could be fun to think about what would Firaxis choose now with the same criteria. In this thread you'll have to choose 9 civs with the following criteria and giving reasons for each chosen civ

I'll play.

1. Which civ do you think community desires the most?

...well I don't have my finger on the pulse here yet, but I think the popular Civs are usually in the main game pretty early. One possibility however might be Italy, as opposed to Rome and Venice, I think may be a very popular Civ to play.

2. Which nation is claiming too much to be in Civ?

Totally Australia. My mob feel left out of everything unless we're explicitly talked about. :)

3. Which civ do you think has been very important but is not included?

The Normans, massive force in Dark-Middle ages Europe. I don't know if they've ever been included.

4. Which country do you think is so much beautiful that has to be in Civ?

I hate to admit it as an Australian, but New Zealand is simply gorgeous, and have such a rich history with their Maori roots. Don't tell the Kiwis I said so!

5. Which civ do you think would have a new gameplay style?

The Romani or Sami might be a challenge, nomadic lifestyles but still a tradition and culture worthy of a Civ. You may have to move your capital to prevent unhappiness taking root, leaving your buildings behind, abandoned or something.

Columbia. I used Australia above, and Columbia would be interesting to lead as a nation.

The Inuit might be an interesting addition with bonuses in icebound areas perhaps

I don't think anyone's ever done the Hittites.

Was reading some interesting Viet history recently, about the Trung sisters (someone made a Vietnam mod) which is so interesting and cool :) So Vietnam for mine here.

1.I think the most popular have already been placed in the game I just think the Zulu are that band member that has to be present if you want to call it a reunion. But if I had to name one I think

The Congo get named alot just for diversity sake

2. Again I think all bases are covered here since Poland was such a elephant in the room. So I'll say Australia like someone posted above. In fact knowing Firaxis they'd split the baby and give us a combo of

The aborigines/Australia all in one civ.

3. I think this one depends on a theme that Firaxis would want to play with, so it's tough to say in a vacuum. But I think Europe is more then covered twice over so I'd say

Mali, all though there kind of covered by Songhai, they were more historically significant then Songhai, what with Mansa Musa's trade network and his pilgrimage.

4. The Exotic Newcomer is the ea siesta one.

Nubia. Their unquestioned influence on Egypt, their own culture and impact they have to be covered one day.

5. A New Way to play could really be anybody depending on how you approach design. But one that leaps to mind is Great Britain. Their UA could be taking on the UA of the first 3 or 4 civs you take. Or they'd get double luxury from conquered cities.

The aborigines could offer a non civ civ option as well.

Also a pacifist civ that physically cannot declare war like the Swiss would be interesting. Although I think diplomacy would have to be innovated.

6. Someone has said it on the board before, plus I think it's a mod but Gran Columbia by Bolivar would be interesting. To play out a theoretically united South America would be interesting. Vietnam is another good choice, and or Syria. Oh and what about virtually any decolonized African nation.

7. I would love for the Muscogee, mostly because it's in my family tree, would be interesting. The Sioux of course and the Tribe Columbus encountered. I forget the name.

8. I wish they had the guts to do Israel. I mean it's almost the exact definition of a civ but of course politics. Maybe a nice counter balance would be to do an ancient version of Palestine. But actually that'd probably add fuel to the fire.

9. I don't know much about South Asia so I'll just say Khmer because it's always name checked.

I'll play.

1. Which civ do you think community desires the most?

...well I don't have my finger on the pulse here yet, but I think the popular Civs are usually in the main game pretty early. One possibility however might be Italy, as opposed to Rome and Venice, I think may be a very popular Civ to play.

2. Which nation is claiming too much to be in Civ?

Totally Australia. My mob feel left out of everything unless we're explicitly talked about. :)

3. Which civ do you think has been very important but is not included?

The Normans, massive force in Dark-Middle ages Europe. I don't know if they've ever been included.

4. Which country do you think is so much beautiful that has to be in Civ?

I hate to admit it as an Australian, but New Zealand is simply gorgeous, and have such a rich history with their Maori roots. Don't tell the Kiwis I said so!

5. Which civ do you think would have a new gameplay style?

The Romani or Sami might be a challenge, nomadic lifestyles but still a tradition and culture worthy of a Civ. You may have to move your capital to prevent unhappiness taking root, leaving your buildings behind, abandoned or something.

Columbia. I used Australia above, and Columbia would be interesting to lead as a nation.

The Inuit might be an interesting addition with bonuses in icebound areas perhaps

I don't think anyone's ever done the Hittites.

Was reading some interesting Viet history recently, about the Trung sisters (someone made a Vietnam mod) which is so interesting and cool :) So Vietnam for mine here.

Thats true, the hitites hardly appeared. The only time i saw them mentioned was when in civilization 4 help where egypt didnt really have a competition.

Thats true, the hitites hardly appeared. The only time i saw them mentioned was when in civilization 4 help where egypt didnt really have a competition.

In civilization 4: they may or may not have been in one of those "barbarian uprising events" (long story short: RNGesus decides to bequeath you with a stack of barbarian units just outside your border to deal with)... but then you realize you built the Great Wall and subsequently watched them walk around your empire to harass the poor AI on the other end instead :lol:.

In civilization 4: they may or may not have been in one of those "barbarian uprising events" (long story short: RNGesus decides to bequeath you with a stack of barbarian units just outside your border to deal with)... but then you realize you built the Great Wall and subsequently watched them walk around your empire to harass the poor AI on the other end instead :lol:.

Barbarians will do that to other ais and get smashed quick.

Ok, I'll play along:

1. The Most Popular (Zulus in BNW): Italy, Rome is too old and Venice is too small to represent the modern country. Probably with Mussolini.

2. The Fanatic Nation (Poland in BNW): Australia

3. The Historical Missing Piece (Portugal in BNW): Indus Valley Civilization.

4. The Exotic Newcomer (Morocco in BNW): Scotland.

5. A New Way To Play (Venice in BNW): Inuits, clinging to the Snow/Tundra instead of running from it.

6. A Former Colony (Brazil in BNW): Argentina

7. A Native American (Shoshone in BNW): Sioux

8. An Ancient Middle-Eastern Civ (Assyria in BNW): Israel

9. South-East Asian Civ (Indonesia in BNW): Vietnam

Here's mine:

1. Most Popular. CONGO (KONGO). Many players demand more African Nations, this one is the most popular choice I believe.

2. Fanatics Demanding To Be Included: CANADA. Come on, Australia, I think Canadians still got you beat as far as demanding we be in, eh? Actually, I'd like both countries to be included in.

3. Historical Missing Piece: SUMERIA. Come on!, the cradle of Civilization!

4. Exotic Newcomer: SCOTLAND. Scotland has a rich history, a lot of possible, UU's, UB's and UA.
An original and fascinating culture.

5. New Way To Play: Besides the obviously interesting cold climate dwelling INUITS, the SCYTHIANS or THRACIANS. These tribes didn't really build cities, so to play as them a new system of sort would have to be implemented.

6. Former Colony: MEXICO.

7. Native American: so many to choose from: Cherokee, Sioux(Lakota), Caribs, Apache, Comanche, Huron, Hopi or Navajo and several others.

8. Ancient Middle Eastern: HATTI. Hittites were a major part of ancient middle eastern history, ISRAEL is another obvious choice.

9. South-East Asia: I would really like to see the mountainous nation of TIBET included, besides the most popular KHMER or VIETNAM.

And some of my additions:

10. Additional African Tribe: NUBIA!, MALI-possibly instead of Songhai, possibly also ASHANTI.

11. One More from Europe, for all those Eurocentrics out there: ITALY-it's quite obvious, also the neutralistic mountaineers: SWITZERLAND, HUNGARY- Hussars are originally their invention I believe, the Polish Hussars were known as Husaria, or UKRAINE (Kiyevan Rus')- interesting, among other facts about that country were the famed Ukrainian Sich based Cossacks, fierce infantry, quite democratic within their warriorhood laws.
Also: Holy Roman Empire, or Normandy.

There, I think, I've covered it all, perhaps not.

Oops, forgot to mention PRUSSIA.

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

1. The Most Popular (Zulus in BNW): Australia

Australia seems to be very popular as far as mods go, and it's also a civ I'd personally like to see. I'd be fine with mixing the aboriginal and post-colonization sides of it. On that end, a boomerang thrower would make an interesting early game unique unit, replacing the archer. It could be like a Hand Axe in a way, with less range but more ability to survive melee.

2. The Fanatic Nation (Poland in BNW): Canada

Yeah, Canada, I guess...Canada got leaves and stuff, they could be fun to play as. Once you get past any possible tundra bias...I don't really have any specific abilities for a Canadian civilization, though I'm curious about what colors they'd have, given their best fit is taken by Japan.

3. The Historical Missing Piece (Portugal in BNW): Kush

There are so, so many civs with significant impacts left out, but ultimately I went with Kush. If you want to represent that region there's also Nubia, but I think the Kuhorsehockye empire was more impressive. I mean, it conquered Egypt until driven out by the Assyrians, I'd say that's worth something. It had major impacts through resource trade, was hugely different than its neighbors in it's government structure, and the area was so well known for it's archers it was called The Land of the Bow, so there's a lot to work with. I think gold/trade route, happiness and ranged unit bonuses would work well for it, or just focusing on two of those three.

4. The Exotic Newcomer (Morocco in BNW): Italy

Cliched romances aside, Italy really is a nice looking place. It's one of the worlds major economic powers and, most importantly, is the birth place of pizza. It's a bit of a shame that only the renaissance era, single-city Venice and the Classical era Rome represent it. There are a lot of non-ship Italian troops that could be unique units, and, while I don't know why, I feel it would have city state bonuses. It would probably be another commercial civ given how it's always been a strong economy. And it would have the unique luxury Pizza.

5. A New Way To Play (Venice in BNW): Somalia

My thought process here was to pick a strategy that no one does and make a civ which applies bonuses to it. In the end, I picked the Somalia, primarily taking inspiration from the Ajuran sultanate. They had a lot of money and a lot of forts, and were unique among African nations of their time by being a hydraulic power. Somalia was a trading empire at the time with money of theirs making it to far corners of the globe, so I imagine they'd be a mix defensive-economic civilization with a large focus on fresh water. How you make that unique...I don't know, but there's a way I'm sure.

6. A Former Colony (Brazil in BNW): Congo

A former colony of Belgium, I believe. It and Australia could easily be switched as for what category they're in. I was also considering South Africa. Ultimately though Congo is a larger country which is more popular to have, so I went with it.

7. A Native American (Shoshone in BNW): Inuit

The Inuit are a native civ I think would be very cool. They represent an area which doesn't really have a civ for it (unless they added Canada) and the idea of a civ with ice/tundra bias who make those tiles usable appeals to me. It would allow for a lot of neat strategies and let you snag lands which other people just can't use. +1 food on snow and tundra without forest would be a good passive bonus. As for other things...well, some form of unique improvement to further make your land usable is a common idea that I like.

8. An Ancient Middle-Eastern Civ (Assyria in BNW): Israel

This is due to nothing but personal preference, I'd like to play as Israel and establish an unchallenged iron reign of Jew power across the globe. One thing which comes up with Israel, or at least someone I know brought it up, is should it focus on ancient Israel or modern Israel? That was something they said might be a reason why it's never made it past city state. I am the type to include both in one civ. I myself think Israel would make an interesting civ with an espionage focus. In the bible the Israelites used spies all the time, and modern day Mossad is...Mossad.

9. South-East Asian Civ (Indonesia in BNW): Khmer/Cambodia

I originally had Vietnam here, but some research I did at school gave me an interest in seeing the Khmer return instead.

I personally would rather have the Hittites, Sumeria and Phoenicia than some of these, but it's a pretty good set of civs, I'd say.

Forgot to mention the Minoans, ancient Crete.
Armenia, including the Great Armenia of the past.

There aren't very many civs left... but I'll try

Are you kidding me?
Goodness gracious, I could name you forty or fifty civilizations which beside the existing ones from civ 5 and all it's expansions would be deserving to be included without a doubt into civ 6.

Further examples (to my previous posts):

Etruscans, Phoenicia, Canaan, Normandy, Bulgaria, Gran Colombia, Norway, Belgium or Khazars.
There are dozens of possible new tribes in the game, scores of great leaders for each, new and existing ones, countless unique buildings and units available, new(and old) techs and even policies and ideologies. That's why there will be Civilization 6, they always leave room for new additions, otherwise it's game over at some point.

really all the significant civs were covered in bnw, with exception to sumerians and indus walley civ.
"bulgarian civilization" - i would not like to see anything like that in the game, thats nonsence.
we already have huns and mongols as civs who are really just organized barbs.
btw it would be cool if they added barbarian hordes in civ6 (aryans, huns, mongols...), like they added city states in civ5.

When playing Earth Based Maps, whether the whole planet or a select continent, then, for example
in South and Central America, there could be villages of native "barbarians" at the start of the game, they would attack your units and cities only when your unit approaches their village too closely or you found a city in close proximity to one of their villages. Of course you could make peace and trade with them as well. They'd use blowguns as their ranged weapon of choice.

I'd have to say Canada, I've seen a vast number of requests and whatnots

Canada qualifies again :lol: but if not, then let's go with Australia

This may sound biased but Serbia definitely deserves a mention here. A country that's around 900 years old, lots of turmoil, glory, bad times and good

Bohemia/Czech should work here. Or Italy.

Nabataeans, the people who built Petra. I've seen a documentary about them a few weeks ago, and it was amazing.

I'd pick South Africa here, with their being a colony is a main part of their culture nowadays. With Nelson Mandela passing recently, making him the leader would just honor his legacy even more.

I'd say Inuits, to make use of tundra/ice/coast kind of thing.

Israel is the obvious choice here, but including Israel in anything is always a big political can of worms that nobody really wants to rush open

Khmer obviously

No idea. I rarely visit the community. How about Atlantis or Lemuria? :p

The Huns. Where they ever really civilized?

Israel...ancient Israel...huge impact of western culture.

Scotland or Rumania.

Something nomadic? Bedouins? The Boat People? The Roma? No idea.

Argentina. (Don't cry for me)

Navajo.

Given the huge impact Hittite religion and culture has had on everyone around the world...Israel. Come on. The game is full of genocidal empires and historical leaders that could be considered mass murderers, but even ancient Israel is off limits? :confused:

Vietnam, so you could conquer the Americans...I'd probably stick with Khmer, though.

Top Bottom