Cruelest things that you have done

This is why I NEVER build all my cities on the coast. I always have one or two inland, especially the Capital.

Another reason I feel guilty is if I attack a nice Nation completely unprovoked. I`m always thinking, `I`m doing wrong and he`s right to hate me.`

I usually get provoked in some way. My friend was attacking for people for no reason and the Dutch were my friend so I figured I was in the right.

When I let one city to a foe that wronged me to avoid the genocid tag, I tend to pillage everything single of thé territory. For thé extra cash but also to make sure they'll never make it back from the stone age I put them in. Plus it looks cool. I played hotseat and my friend was horrified!

Once Shongai, which I was at war with, declared protection to a CS la valette I was friends with. So I allied it and then it declared war in him. I wish I could have seen the diplo meeting:
Shongai: we have decided to offer your nation a pledge of protection against the hardship of this world. Never should you fear again!
La valette: yeeeeeeeahhh, about that.....

Once I had beaten a pain in the behind Ghandi into submission I sent a never ending supply of Great Artists to his last remaining city and culture bombed it until his capital was a single tile within my expanding border.

I have a screenshot somewhere.

I had a game where Mongolia was hostile towards me the entire game on a different island for no reason. One of my allies said he was planning a naval assault on me, so I planted a city on a 1-tile island surrounded by ice except for one tile. I gave him the city, then declared war on him and left him with that. He didn't make it passed 5 pop for the rest of the game...

Shongai: we have decided to offer your nation a pledge of protection against the hardship of this world. Never should you fear again!
La valette: yeeeeeeeahhh, about that.....

Eh, he was probably running one of those protection rackets anyway.

I dunno, I tend to be a nice player, and generally mind my own business. Of course, I also like to play with Complete Kills turned on, and with a special Culture mod that tracks percent ownership of tiles (like Civ IV culture). Now, if one of my idiot neighbors gets on my bad side, I'll focus all my military efforts toward wiping him out. The way it usually turns out, one unit survives, left to wander for the rest of the game without a city to his name, as the remainder of his lingering culture is slowly eroded by my own.

The last person I did this to was Napoleon. I may as well have exiled him to Saint Helena.

It's a strategy game played against computer opponents. How can anything be "cruel"?
This had been my mentality as well, but adding ethics/morality to effective strategy is pretty funny...
I guess the cruel thing that I usually do regards having a nearby civilization that is friendly. He's nearby, so I want his land, but he's friendly so I want to cash in on the research agreement. So, we'll make a DoF, have our scientists work together, and then use that research boost to add rifles and artillery... to be used against the nearest civilization... which is the aforementioned research partner.
I imagine Aztec and Swedish scientists in a lab together, working diligently and cooperatively on the rifling of a barrel and chemical formulas for gunpowder. Then as the Swedish scientists rejoice upon the discovery, the Aztec scientists pick up the rifles and shoot 'em in the head. (which, by the way, adds culture to your empire...)

Don't know if this is cruel or just cheesy: I was in a war and couldn't take my AI opponent's capital, which happened to share borders with me, so I maneuvered a great general right next to his capital, popped a citadel; and got a peace treaty. Within ten turns, I had four cannons within range :backstab:

It's a strategy game played against computer opponents. How can anything be "cruel"?

You`re missing the point. It`s immersive and more engaging to treat them like they`re `real` (and just incase you don`t understand, we don`t see it as really real), after all, these games are based on humans and the Human situation since we are Humans we cannot help but have some kind of emotional attachment.

Otherwise you might as well have a green screen with just a rows of `1`s and `0`s like in the Matrix and play that.

Don't know if this is cruel or just cheesy: I was in a war and couldn't take my AI opponent's capital, which happened to share borders with me, so I maneuvered a great general right next to his capital, popped a citadel; and got a peace treaty. Within ten turns, I had four cannons within range :backstab:

Hmmmm...I take the view that is one of the main reasons for being able to built a citadel...so you can place it in a strategic position... For instance, within firing range of your enemy's capital....;)

Of course sometimes the citadel comes in handy for grabbing some resource that has "by-passed" your empire...such as iron. I would say that's probably a bit "cheesy"...but when you're desperate, you're desperate.

And the citadel can be particularly helpful if your opponent has the Great Wall... In the vanilla version you could do something similar, though without the military advantage of the citadel, by tunnelling in with GA culture bombs...but the developers, sensibly in my view, nerfed that tactic....

Top Bottom