Despotism better than monarchy?

Jawz II

Oh Dear
every time i change ffrom despotism to monarchy i find my gold income has been cut in half or even more,what gives?

first few times i saw this i thought it was because of the anarchy period when u make many citizens clowns to calm the others down,or maybe the science/luxury bar that gets moved

but this time i know for sure,i changed the clowns back to normal citizens,pulled down science to 10% and still my income went from 38 to like 14...

what the hell is that?

im playing on emperor,have a pretty smal civ of 15-20 cities,PTW unpatched

another question,how do i end an alliance?
ive never seen the option to end trade or alliance,ever!

not even after 20 rounds,can someone tell me exactly where the "end alliance" option is?

i mean its prolly in the diplomatic-trade-screen right?

what if i make an alliance then after 20 rounds pass,just make peace with the enemy,without ending the alliance against him first, will i take a rep hit?

As for the Monarchy issue, you probably have more troops than your Monarchy can support

For ending agreements, at the bottom of the trade window there is a button that says New and one that Says Active. Click on Active, and you can remove expired trades.

Try to make sure you have 1 or 2 luxuries at least, and marketplaces in most of your cities, preferably temples too, before you switch out of despotism. Republic in particular is almost unworkable without marketplaces. Also make sure your infrastructure - roads, mines, irrigation etc - is up to scratch. You should get a big boost from switching government but you have to make sure you're ready first.

on the game i'm playing at the moment i switched to monarchy as soon as possible and i'm still monarchy (1500AD), just for conquest vicotry (or domination, conquest isn't gonna make it anymore i think)

needless to say in anarchy i built 0 troops!

so,no i have just as many troops as i did when i was a despot!

im trying to build market places,but priority is else where,as in aqueducts in my 6 pop cities and troops from my smaller tundra citys,im in war with 4 civs,and i have given in to every single demand,and even killed one civ!!

i hate pangea!!

i picked continents and i spawn on a bigass one with 8-10 other civs

ive been sneak atacked 3 times now and i have a spotless reputation!

i think production is a bit higher now than before,as in less corruption,but money is defenitly less,im sure of this!!

im actually thinking of skipping monarchy altogether in my future games and going from despotism directly to communism!

When your cities are bigger than size 6, you will notice a big diference. That is when the unit support is les of an issue. The problem is that getting to size 7+ cities in despot is much more difficult than in monarchy. Make the switch and suck it up for 10-20 rounds whil letting your cities grow past 6 and get the extra support.

Also, do not forget that monarchy allows more military police. This will make those units more useful when not in war (as police).

Under Despotism, you can support 4 units per city for free.

Under Monarchy, you can support 2 for free for size <6, 4 for free for sizes >6 but <12, and 6 for free for cities larger than 12.

So if you have a lot of towns (as opposed to cities and metros), you can't support as large a military under Monarchy as under Despotism--your net will drop when you switch, because your troop support costs will increase.

DD

You will have problems at the very beginning after the switch, but the increase in food will make your cities much larger, and in a relatively short time, the benefits should outweight the problems.

As far as the trade thing, there is an option in preference menu (I believe when the game is being played, not on the opening screen) to always renew trades which I always switch to off, in which you will be notified when 20 turns are up.

The answer to the diplomacy question is to:

1. Open the trade window with the person that you have the alliance with.
2. Click on "Active" near the bottom of the screen.
3. Find the alliance and click on it.
4. Exit from the trade screen by clicking "Nevermind." or hitting escape.

[Note: There are other ways, but this is the simplest to explain.]

Arathorn

I didn't say you built more units during the revolution, but Monarchy supports fewer units in the early game than despotism does, so your support cost will be much higher. Take a look at the area left of the sliders in your domestic advisor to see where all of your money is going.

Originally posted by jimmydean
You should also really patch that game. There are a number of bug fixes and balance changes made in the patches that you'll want.
Right... :D
Once, I was win (cultury win) on emperor, huge, pangea, 24civs while I was on despot in relatively short games (10 turns after AI discovered Communism) But on CivIII 1.07f. Despot is really powerfull!

Hi!

Well as some said, to much army is a problem.

But don't worry about that. It will go up, and your funds will return.

And one more thing:
Don't forget the prefered ans shunned goverments for civilizations.

I don't know exactly what could that mean, but I always encoutered short anarchy-periods, when switched to a prefered goverment.

Don't forget that You'll loose 1 resource for every 3rd produced in a tile in Despotism.

That's all.

Originally posted by collin_stp
As far as the trade thing, there is an option in preference menu (I believe when the game is being played, not on the opening screen) to always renew trades which I always switch to off, in which you will be notified when 20 turns are up.
I always play with this option on. The leader with whom you made the deal with will come back to you and ask to renew the trade if s/he wants to. If not, they will say that they don't want to. I like it. It allows me to keep track of things much more easily, so I don't break treaties if I go to war.

thanks alot guys,specially arathorn,i finally found how to cancel alliances,this will make life alot easier

and yes after i built 3 or 4 aqueducts and 1 or 2 marketplaces,something like 10 turns later my income was at 50 something,it is now at 160 and ive killed the backstabbing ottos

Top Bottom