Faerun

Just trying out the new version, and whenever I save my game, it will then not let me load the save, saying "required mods not installed"

Now I get this even 'in game' ie I am playing with said mods installed, save, and then reload immediately after, so the mods are definitely installed.

Edit: Sorry, another mod was causing the problem. As you were.

I was on my way to attack a drocholic, but decided I needed more troops.

Upon reloading some of my troops started dying for no apparent reason, getting -38 health per turn, which just stopped short of killing them. I stuck them in cities to heal, but each turn whatever they heal is then taken off them in health (ie the in city ones healing faster dying faster-the neural territory ones healing slower dying slower).

Have I missed something here as its only affecting some units.

Edit: Another reload seem to fix this.

Also, I know that when you cast a spell you have a cool down on the ability, but I also am seeing a cool down on the preparation button-for what reason I cannot see (and its on all units). I had my lich with a cool down timer on the preparation button, even though I could still prepare (and attack as siege) however it did effect the ability to use the chill spell (even though I had not used this, and it did not have its cool down active and what not 'greyed' out. Other units that do not have a prepare button has the cool down timer on the do nothing button, basically the top icon. The only thing I observed during this was that a vampire had used the eyes ability (with the cool down working correct) Is this a bug?

Upon reloading some of my troops started dying for no apparent reason, getting -38 health per turn, which just stopped short of killing them.
Thanks for trying faerun out -- I know it's tedious!

The Dracolich can cast Horrid Wilting, which is the most devastating spell in game right now. It does DoT based on the caster's level and ranged damage, so that damage sounds about right coming from a powerful unit like the Dracolich. I'm going to add a promotion icon for all units that are affected by DoT spells so users can better understand what is happening.

Also Event units, like the Dracolich, grow in power as the game progresses, so you'll definitely need a strategy to deal with those guys.

Edit: Another reload seem to fix this.
Reloading a save of the same turn you're currently on will not reset the saved data -- you'll have to reload from a previous save. So, once a spell is cast on a particular turn, you just have to live with the consequences or go back in time a bit. Time travel is fun, right?

...a vampire had used the eyes ability (with the cool down working correct) Is this a bug?
That cooldown number on the main panel is just a graphical glitch and doesn't affect the actual workings of the spell cooldowns at all. I'll remove that for Eyebite (which had orginally been in the spellbook, not the main panel).

Thanks for the reports!

Updated v.12 Beta (available via link in top post). The new version should be compatible with previous v.12 saved games, though there may be a conflict if Thay is in your game.

Beta Changes:
  • BugFix: Adopting Beliefs and hidden policies no longer increases the cost of Spells in the Schools of Magic.
  • BugFix: Hero events all offer valid rewards.
  • BugFix: Ogre Global event now properly spawns.
  • Thay Trait revision: While at War, Clerics and Arcanists may cast the Gate Spell. Slashing and Bludgeoning units have a chance to enslave defeated enemies. Gate summons a Pit Fiend that is a fairly tough melee unit that can cast Horror. Casting Gate also generates Weave, instead of reducing it.
  • Balance: AI will attempt to fill all available hero slots.
  • Balance: Hero beginning strength reduced for all classes.
  • Balance: Building Gold hurry costs increased.
  • Balance: Unit production cost reduced; AI more likely to build Arcanists and Clerics.
  • UI Addition: Buildings now display with tech branch Icon. Thanks for the ideas, yrug1o9l!

v.12 Final version should be available via steam and here early next week. Let me know if you have any further requests or changes!

Ok, initial fidnings (not using latest patched beta).

I've played 100 turns each as Tethyr (Good), Cormanthor (Neutral), and Many Arrows (Evil), all on the Fearun Huge map, and a couple of hundred turns as the Drow on the Faerun + Underdark map.

Mightily impressed overall. The shift from abstract research to developing settlements works great (once one has spent some time going through the building tree), and the levels of settlement really give a sense of building up a little town into a global city. Also, the acquisition of wonders is now much harder, works to prevent wonder hogging, and consequently feels like a real achievement.

Separating weave and divine is a great move. There is now a great difference between a civ pursuing magical or religious power. However, weave does seem much harder to come by. My drow game I've only just managed to complete two schools, but I see this may be changed in the latest beta.

Variety of resources and the numerous ways they can be developed works well, and am particularly impressed by the way raw materials are used to produce finished goods (e.g. cheese from rothe).

Nice to see the old Civ 4 health system revised, though those plagues can really hurt. I guess they are supposed to, but doesn't seem clear what one can do about them. Had several in my drow game. One outbreak ended when I built a doctor, but tried the same trick next time and it didn't seem to work. Also, is there any way of quarantining a city? Perhaps destroying/razing road connections?

Underdark map is vastly improved: looks great and good variety of underdark-appropriate resources (except grapes, but we'll assume these are something like grapes that doesn't need sunlight!). Very pleased to see a new city-state added, although I think there could be room for one more ;) as a stroke of bad luck could mean having to go topside just to get an alignment. This happened to me before I found the new dwarven city (or are they duergar?), and both the kuo-toa and svirfneblin were not cult centres.

My only real criticisms as yet are very minor, and not actually an issue with the new version as they have always been the case:

Is there any way of making a terrain type that nothing can pass through, including aerial units, and if so, could this be used for the "walls" of the underdark? The dwarves flying units effectively have the ability to pass through walls, and it is possible to fly out of the underdark and across the sea to the surface.

And lastly a purely cosmetic issue: would it be possible to fill in the seas beyond the edges of the underdark with mountains, so that when somewhere like Mithral Hall pops borders there isn't an odd sea beyond the cavern wall?

All in all, a great piece of work. The radical changes in v12 are really turning this into a sophisticated fantasy strategy game. Well done.

Edit (couple of points i forgot to mention):

Sometimes cult centres do not display their cult symbol in the city name, though it may subsequently reappear. Haven't observed this enough to be sure of a cause, but suspect the number of followers of that cult falls below 50% of that city's population, so it ceases to be religious. However, the city continues to function like a cult centre, giving quests etc.

Have also had a cult centre displaying a silver fist not give a quest. This was a game I had loaded and reloaded several times, though, so I may have inadvertantly stuffed up some script.

I'm often noticing one or two capitals being captured in the first few turns (20 or so?). This has always been in the fog of war, so can't say much as to why, but wonder if may be unlucky appearance of a necromancer, dracolich or shadow druid.

Lastly, bards! Hurrah!

Got a repeatable CTD when i move my hero into town, Savegame atteched.

Nice mod so far!

Attachments

• Bruenor Battlehammer_0086 - 1328 n. Chr.-September.Civ5Save
    963.6 KB · Views: 82
Ok, initial fidnings (not using latest patched beta).
Thanks for taking time to leave comments! I think the culture problem is solved with most recent upload.

Is there any way of making a terrain type that nothing can pass through, including aerial units...
Probably, but it's not high on my list because that involves mucking with the random map generators.
Sometimes cult centres do not display their cult symbol in the city name..
Solved; was because Cult Centers were not generating any faith.
I'm often noticing one or two capitals being captured in the first few turns (20 or so?)
I noticed this, too, and it's not due to Event units -- barbs are just overwhelming the cities. I'm not sure why that is, but I will keep looking for the cause.
Got a repeatable CTD when i move my hero into town, Savegame atteched.
Thanks for the saved game. I couldn't replicate the CTD you describe. I moved Bruenor into the closest of your owned cities and got the reward for the Hero Quest "Sage Advice". I ran this through a couple times changing up the hero movement, but always got the same result: no crash and no lua runtime errors either. Have you had any other trouble with that quest reward?

Casters seem to get out of the units cycle after casting spells, mainly healing but can be others spells as well. You need to manualy click on them to get control again or else they wont cycle to next unit.

I noticed this, too, and it's not due to Event units -- barbs are just overwhelming the cities. I'm not sure why that is, but I will keep looking for the cause.

?

Are you sure about the events. While I have noticed this behaviour as well, I happened to be right next to a ai city when it happened, and multiple (as in five or so units) appeared out of nowhere and took the city, as if the ai was doing a quest (like the paladin one).

Edit: Noticed that the shrine of bane does not give any yields, unlike all the others. Intentional??

Edit 2: In my game, the crypt is not generating the +1 per 4 people culture. I have unlocked the second tier (half price etc) so perhaps it is being seen a different building.

Edit 3: Also, the theocracy belief is not providing the said 'free garrison' in my game.

Small art issue I noticed:
Spoiler :

Also, I am informed that I need the Grow Forest tech to plant a forest. Even though there is no tech tree anymore (speaking of which, how did you do that? Sounds like the sort of thing that would be perfect for Ouroboros).

Excellent upgrade, FA! I see that there is a desperate need to get custom unit sounds for a lot of the units. I will get to work on that next for all of the units that I have contributed. I also have some custom effects for the Fire Lizard, and a mounted version should be out soon.

A couple of bugs that I detected:

- City attacks won't work until you move/select an action for all active units that turn.

- Heroes lose their Level Up if you open a saved game on the turn where they have been promoted.

If you have a preference of units that need improved sounds, let me know.

I've got dibs on Wolf sounds Nomad - also, I've done a fixed version of the Eagle unit art that I'll upload later today.

No worries, the wolves are yours to do (I didn't convert them, anyway). The units that particularly annoyed me were the horseman sounds on mounted units - escpecially the spiders and driders. Orcs also need sounds and they are already finished - just need to modify individual unit .ftsxml files to match the code.

Just a quick question.

Is it possible to have enemy units selected? I am sure I have played a mod where this is possible (I think one of the other fantasy mods--the big one forget the name). The reason why is I find that many times because of the white triangle representing so many promotions I just have no idea what I am up against.

In particular, I was fighting a red dragon and its promotions list was made up of like 9 white triangles, with no way of knowing what was what. If an enemy unit was selectable (not to control it, just select) we could then mouse over its promotions.

Edit: Also, just a thought, because tech level now depend on capital city pop, the poor old witch king (which I always play lol) really struggles to get castle perils population up, especially on the underdak map.

Right, have now played through as Tethyr to a Good victory. Working well, stable over numerous reloads, no obvious fatal bugs.

I managed to get Darromar up to population 15 and almost fully developed (didn't bother with trapper as no lakes or resources in range). When Darromoar hit 15 I got a notice that it was now a Level 4 settlement, but there don't seem to be any Level 4 buildings - I'm assuming from the building tree that Level 3 is in fact the highest and that the Level 4 notice is a left over from an earlier design.

I nabbed a few nice wonders, but also had others beating me to the punch more than once, which is as it should be IMO. Even though I was fairly consistently leading throughout the game, my rivals weren't that far behind me.

I noticed that quite a few civs were not settling new cities, even though they had charters. Of course, there could be any number of reasons for this. This didn't bother Obould though - that bad boy was rampaging all over the north, which was good to see. I think his first move was taking Silvery Moon, and after that he was probably one of the most expansive civs in the game after me. Good to see the orcs possing a real threat to the other northerners. He certainly kept Waterdeep contained for the entire game.

One possible glitch I've found is that when a civ loses their capital but survives, they don't seem to establish a new capital in their best remaining city, and regaining their original capital doesn't seem to function as capital. None of their cities display the capital star. Also, they don't seem to be able to establish embassies, and consquently can't agree to open borders, even though they have a remaining city of 6 population or more.

Going to have a crack at one of the other victories now.

Great work, FA.

Right, have now played through as Tethyr to a Good victory. Working well, stable over numerous reloads, no obvious fatal bugs.

I managed to get Darromar up to population 15 and almost fully developed (didn't bother with trapper as no lakes or resources in range). When Darromoar hit 15 I got a notice that it was now a Level 4 settlement, but there don't seem to be any Level 4 buildings - I'm assuming from the building tree that Level 3 is in fact the highest and that the Level 4 notice is a left over from an earlier design.

I nabbed a few nice wonders, but also had others beating me to the punch more than once, which is as it should be IMO. Even though I was fairly consistently leading throughout the game, my rivals weren't that far behind me.

I noticed that quite a few civs were not settling new cities, even though they had charters. Of course, there could be any number of reasons for this. This didn't bother Obould though - that bad boy was rampaging all over the north, which was good to see. I think his first move was taking Silvery Moon, and after that he was probably one of the most expansive civs in the game after me. Good to see the orcs possing a real threat to the other northerners. He certainly kept Waterdeep contained for the entire game.

One possible glitch I've found is that when a civ loses their capital but survives, they don't seem to establish a new capital in their best remaining city, and regaining their original capital doesn't seem to function as capital. None of their cities display the capital star. Also, they don't seem to be able to establish embassies, and consquently can't agree to open borders, even though they have a remaining city of 6 population or more.

Going to have a crack at one of the other victories now.

Great work, FA.

Yeah I also noted that civs were taking over other's cities, but not founded their own--even with spare charters.

No worries, the wolves are yours to do (I didn't convert them, anyway). The units that particularly annoyed me were the horseman sounds on mounted units - escpecially the spiders and driders. Orcs also need sounds and they are already finished - just need to modify individual unit .ftsxml files to match the code.

Cool, the spider units can definitely use new sounds. I can do lion sounds as well which can then be rigged to your tigers - and wolf sounds will work for wolf/warg riding orcs and goblins.
I'm updating the Eagle unit with sounds as well, though they're not great - if you have some from Neverwinter or another source it'd be great to have. I also did some simple animations a while back for it so I'll see how many I have - I think they worked fine.

A few changes for v.12 Beta, available for download in top post. Should be compatible with saved games that aren't running Impiltur, Dwarves or Chult.

• Bugfix: If a capital is captured, a palace is built in the next best city.
  • Bugfix: Horde Hero events can no longer spawn on cities.
  • Bugfix: Cult centers generate enough pressure to maintain citizen conversion.
  • Bugfix: Buildings with X yield per Y pop properly generate faith and culture yields.
  • Balance: AI slightly more likely to expand early.
  • Balance: Plague effects reduced across all Levels.
  • Balance: Level III core building costs increased slightly.
  • Balance: Circuses and a few Wonders start WLKD celebrations.
  • Balance: Cobbled Roads halves road maintenance.
  • Balance: Heroes heal completely on level up
  • Balance: Must be allied with a Free City to receive its unit upgrades
  • Balance: More barbs can spawn from camps
  • UI: Unit panel now properly displays build requirements for improvements
  • UI: Receive a notification when non-allied, visible units cast a spell
  • Map: Underdark surrounded by mountain terrain
  • Map: Huge map now properly selects and loads
  • Impiltur Trait Change: Alignment Beliefs cost 10% less Divine Favor.
  • Dwarf Trait Change: Unit Gold purchase reduced by 25%. Mines produce 2 additional Gold.
  • Chult Trait Change: Unimproved Forests generate Divine Favor and Weave. Enemy units move slowly and take damage while in Chultan territory.

I should have the final v.12 up on Steam and here later in the week.

Top Bottom