DLC Model Discussion

Choose the applicable option

• I do not own Civ5, but I like the current DLC model.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes exactly. Suddenly game devs no longer need money?

The only real proof that DLC is somehow a ripoff would come in the form of evidence that the devs are rolling in profits already from the game sales. Because some people think a product is too expensive does not actually prove the developers of said product are rich.

Even that's not really proof. Just becase a product is highly desirable and profitable doesn't mean that it's not worth the asking price. Civ 4 itself has this eminently suitable quote, voiced by Leonard Nimoy:

"A product is worth what its purchaser will pay for."

So long as Civ V DLC is selling as well as expected and is profitable, then it has been priced correctly, from a purely disinterested economic standpoint.

I don't see why not, frankly. Are any posters here laboring under the misapprehension that 2k is anything BUT a for-profit company?

:lol: No duh they are only releasing DLC for money.

Allow me to reiterate. The reason I am against DLC is because it allows Firaxis to get away with selling amounts of content for high prices. The principle behind this is that when there is a small supply of new content for civilization V, the developers are able to charge $5 for a leaderhead. Whereas, if they followed the expansion model, they would not be able to maximize prices so effectively.

The whole driving force behind DLC is that Firaxis is intentionally using market forces to get away with selling small amounts of content for high prices. It is more profitable to sell small amounts of content at a time. Simply, saying that it is right because people are buying it proves nothing. Simply based off of the desire to save money, it would be more economical to release an expansion. In such a case, more content= cheaper per item. Less content= more expensive per item. Obviously, DLC's only purpose is to make.

And this whole argument that "DLC is good because people buy it" is too funny.

Even that's not really proof. Just becase a product is highly desirable and profitable doesn't mean that it's not worth the asking price. Civ 4 itself has this eminently suitable quote, voiced by Leonard Nimoy:

"A product is worth what its purchaser will pay for."

So long as Civ V DLC is selling as well as expected and is profitable, then it has been priced correctly, from a purely disinterested economic standpoint.

An important factor that everyone repeatedly misses: Supply and demand states that the value of something will go up when there is a high demand and low supply. Therefore, Firaxis is able to charge $5 per civ via DLC. If they would release an expansion, they would never get away with that because said expansion would cost several hundred dollars.

Derrick CB:

FWIW, I haven't bought any DLC whatsoever, so it's not true that Firaxis is forcing anyone to buy anything, and at the same time frame when I was playing Civ IV, there was nothing to be had in the way of additional official content, free or otherwise.

Who says that you are forced to buy anything?

Frankly, I'm not getting where the rage is coming from on so many who are against DLC. If it's so easy that modders could make it, then shouldn't we just be ignoring the DLC altogether and going to the modders?

Im not in a state of rage, just a state of disappointment. I am concerned that Firaxis will be able to continue to follow the DLC model by releasing small amounts of content at a time. Perhaps, they will do this until they have released enough content that it could constitute as an expansion. The only difference would be it would be far more expensive than an expansion.

I think that there's a small population of extremely vocal Civvers who feel entitled to free content from Firaxis for reasons that are beyond my ken. It is clear that the market in general is very happy with the DLC model, and the content that's being made available through the model.

You're making things up. If any such small population exists, then I am not apart of it. I want an expansion and Firaxis is not a non-profit company. Of course they won't release everything for free. However, that by no means makes it justifiable for any reason other than the sake of profit to purportedly milk the consumers.

The fact that the video game industry is beginning to get used to the DLC model, a greedy way to operate seen across the board, is a grave sign; one only the result of a rapid increase of greed and desire for profit from the developers. DLC is not a good trend. It is a trend driven only by the greed of developers. People who have unfortunately realized that it is more profitable to release these small amounts of content. The only one who wins is the developer and the fact that people are such avid fans of DLC does not conceivably advocate for DLC. All it advocates for is consumerism.

Just take a look at what you get with DLC and what you get with expansions another time. Analyze the two and you tell me which one comes with less.

DLC vs. Expansion:

Everything you get with DLC:

Civilizations:
-Babylon
-Spain
-Inca
-Polynesia:
-Korea
-Denmark

Maps:
-Mediterranean Map
-Asia Map
-Americas Map
-Explorers Maps

Wonders:
-Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
-Statue of Zeus
-Temple of Artemis

Scenarios:
-Korea
-New World
-Polynesia

Total: 16

Everything you get with BtS (Expansion Model)

New Civs
-Babylon
-Byzantine
-Dutch
-Ethiopia
-Holy Rome
-Khmer
-Maya
-Native American
-Portugal
-and Sumeria
Please Note: Each of these Civs comes with a unique units and building!

New Leaders
-Abe Lincoln
-Boudica
-Pericles
-Suleiman
-Darius I

New Buildings
-Customs House
-Industrial Park
-Intelligence Agency
-Levee
-Public Transportation
-Security Bureau

New Units
-Airship
-Anti-Tank
-Attack Submarine
-Cuirassier
-Guided Missile
-Missile Cruiser
-Mobile Artillery
-Mobile SAM
-Paratrooper
-Privateer
-Ship of the Line
-Stealth Destroyer
-Tactical Nuke

New Wonders
-Apostolic Palace
-Cristo Redentor
-Mausoleum of Maussollos
-Shwedagon Paya
-Statue of Zeus

National Wonders
-Moai Statues
-National Park

Changed Wonders
-Sistine Chapel
-Stonehenge

Techs
-Advanced Flight
-Aesthetics
-Laser
-Military Science
-Stealth
-Superconductors

Tech Tree Modifications

Corporations
-Aluminum Inc,
-Cereal Meals
-Civilized Jewelers
-Creative Constructions
-Mining Inc.
-Sid's Sushi Co.
-Standard Ethanol Co.

Espionage

New Victory Conditions

Colonies

Scenarios
-Afterworld
-Broken Star
-Charlemagne
-Crossroads of the World
-Defense
-Fall from Heaven - Age of Ice
-Final Frontier
-Gods of Old
-Next War
-Rhye's and Fall of Civilization
-Road to War

A couple of personal statements and questions:
Statements:
1) I do think DLC is a much more profitable consumer model than expansions were
2) DLS pricing is driven by simple supply and demand economics

Questions:
1) How do we know that the company will take the profit from DLC and pour it back into CIV development?
2) Why do we think on average that we are being ripped off, when we created the gaming industry for ourselves, and it exists for us?

In my personal opinion, us gamers seem to be struggling with something other than what we are arguing about. We are struggling with the concept that slowly we are being farmed by corporations, to buy DLC widgets that are becoming ever more trivial in nature.

But the point is simply this, every widget we buy in a consumerist society is ultimately to do with a precarious bargain. The bargain is that the widget which is actually completely trivial in nature (any and all of them), will make us somehow happy and that this is what drives the consumer economy.

However triviality cannot equate to happiness, it simply cannot. If we want to be happy, we have to search for non-trivial widgets, but ironically the non-trivial ones are completely free and do not exist in the market system.

Therefore, there is no problem.

Cheers

Allow me to reiterate. The reason I am against DLC is because it allows Firaxis to get away with selling amounts of content for high prices. The principle behind this is that when there is a small supply of new content for civilization V, the developers are able to charge $5 for a leaderhead. Whereas, if they followed the expansion model, they would not be able to maximize prices so effectively.

The whole driving force behind DLC is that Firaxis is intentionally using market forces to get away with selling small amounts of content for high prices. It is more profitable to sell small amounts of content at a time. Simply, saying that it is right because people are buying it proves nothing. Simply based off of the desire to save money, it would be more economical to release an expansion. In such a case, more content= cheaper per item. Less content= more expensive per item. Obviously, DLC's only purpose is to make.

Finally a nice post from you Derrick. Much of what you say here makes me understand why you hate DLC and that's cool. About expansion packs:

Expansion packs are a more hit or miss then an DLC. Expansion packs in all it's glory (I kinda miss them) but you have to realise that it takes a lot more work behind an expansion, more commitment, higher investment, better marketing, higher risk if something goes wrong and finally if it takes to long to develop customers will have moved on to other games. If the expansion doesn't sell enough lots of money will be lost. Also how much do you commit to an expansion, 8 civs, 16 civs, whole new game concepts?. Make sure some people will think the expansion pack is not worth it regardless how you do it, some people will get pissed because it cost to much and gives to little content. With DLC you know for sure what you get: here's 5$ here's your new civ.

DLC is more a "safe" way of releasing content. If a DLC fails you don't take a large economical hit and can just stop producing more. If an expansion fails you can take a huge economical hit and lose a lot of money. And if you get burned by a bad expansion the game will never see any more content again but with a simple DLC they may decide to give it another shot, also you can "test" the consumer easier what works or not with small content. For example the map pack they release earlier was probably a test to see how well they will sell compared to new civs.

This is the main reason I think expansions is a thing in a past for a niche game like civilization. The project to make an expansion have turned to big and the economical risk to huge for it to be done reliably with smaller games like civ.

With this said, DLC can be done terrible wrong. Sims comes to mind, but so far with civ 5 i think they are doing a terrific job.

DLC vs. Expansion:

It's also worth mentioning that Beyond the Sword is an incredibly generous expansion, probably the most feature-packed I've ever experienced. It's not true to say that every expansion pack has nearly as many features as that: publishers and developers determine how much content is released at what price.

If you had picked Warlords as your comparison, while there would still have been more content than we have got so far with Civ V DLC, it's actually quite a bit closer, at least in terms of number of Civs (6 v 6), Wonders (3 v 3) and Scenarios (8 v 6). What we haven't got so far for Civ V is the extra gameplay features, like vassal states, which would almost certainly need a more traditional expansion to deliver in any quantity. And DLC in no way precludes that.

We have certainly paid more for Civ V though, there's no use denying that. Although since pretty much all of Warlords was included in BtS a year later that's sort of moot. :p

Derrick CB:

And this whole argument that "DLC is good because people buy it" is too funny.

I don't see why it's funny, and I don't see what's objectionable about a for-profit company maximizing its profits legally by delivering content that is being purchased by its clientele.

You say "get away with," as a way of spinning the activity as if it were a crime, even though it's perfectly legal, and is driven by the same market forces that determined the optimum selling price for BTS.

I don't know where there's anything to prove, or what your point ultimately is. You've yet to make a solid case or statement against DLC pricing that isn't just some sort of negative spin on a purely economic activity, and one that's both reasonable and commonly practiced. Yes, it's to maximize pricing returns. So what?

An important factor that everyone repeatedly misses: Supply and demand states that the value of something will go up when there is a high demand and low supply. Therefore, Firaxis is able to charge $5 per civ via DLC. If they would release an expansion, they would never get away with that because said expansion would cost several hundred dollars.

Clearly, the reasoning behind that is because the barrier for entry on a product several hundred dollars in costing is prohibitive. It's not because of content/cost ratio. If we presented Firaxis as a slave producing Civ content forever for a millions bucks, it would still be better value than BTS, but no one's going to buy that. It's a stupid way to do business.

You're misattributing causes and effects. DLC is bought because people like the content, and the price is reasonable/the barrier for entry is low. At a similar point in Civ IV's lifecycle, it didn't quite have Warlords, so the content being released is equivalent. I could even argue that there's comparatively more content for less in Civ V due to inflation and because the bundled price of available DLC now is more or less equivalent to if they'd waited to bundle it all into an expansion pack and sold it new sometime this fall or Christmas. Hell, it's cheaper if you get it on sale. Way cheaper.

Who says that you are forced to buy anything?

jtb1127. It's part of his definition of what "ripoff" is. In all frankness, I think he's more honest about his wording. There's nothing wrong about the DLC if you just pretended it didn't exist.

Im not in a state of rage, just a state of disappointment. I am concerned that Firaxis will be able to continue to follow the DLC model by releasing small amounts of content at a time. Perhaps, they will do this until they have released enough content that it could constitute as an expansion. The only difference would be it would be far more expensive than an expansion.

Substantiate. Piece Of Mind clarified that the costing of ALL bundled DLC up to this point would only amount to about $42, and only if you paid the premium of getting each content new just as it released, hot off the press.

How is this more expensive than getting a brand new expansion right about now? Are you saying that we should have gotten a BTS-sized expansion 4 months after Civ V released?

TIME is the important factor here. Factor it in.

You're making things up. If any such small population exists, then I am not apart of it. I want an expansion and Firaxis is not a non-profit company. Of course they won't release everything for free. However, that by no means makes it justifiable for any reason other than the sake of profit to purportedly milk the consumers.

Clarify. What do you mean by "milk," if it doesn't imply some kind of forcing? How is Firaxis "milking" me if I waited for a 75% sale on Steam this Christmas and get every single DLC up to this time for $10. Would that not be cheaper than a comparable expansion, containing all relevant updates, released new for $30 at a similar time frame?

Just take a look at what you get with DLC and what you get with expansions another time. Analyze the two and you tell me which one comes with less.

Point 1 against: BTS is far later in terms of age than every DLC for Civ V up to this date, and it released for $30. Given that all the DLC so far can be had for cheaps at particular times, projected pricing at a similar time frame as BTS would make them similar value for cost, especially given inflation.

Point 2 against: Civs in Civ 4 are an amalgamation of two pre-existing trait codes, and one UU and one UB. This is less than the UA, plus two uniques of Civ 5.

Point 3 against: much of the great added scenario content of Civ 4 was made by enthusiastic modders and conceptualized on the forums by constructive input from forum-goers. This added value comes directly from people who sought to make Civ 4 better by participating constructively on CivFanatics and other enthusiast sites, and is hampered by continual disruption of such activities, by whoever and through whatever activites that you might imagine.

This content was not made by Firaxis, but by people like you and me. Whether or not you choose to participate in making similar content for Civ V is your decision.

That is why I am on these forums right now arguing. I'm trying to make them realize the error in their ways.

Who are you to tell me I am wrong, I can buy what I want, you are the one making everything difficult! I still can't get over the fact you said error in their ways! I do want I want with my money. I must ask you something have you played any other video games? Really since all of them use DLC and out of all of them Civ5 charges the best. Times have changed, dont think Civ5 is the second Civilization 4, see it as something new to the series. And if you say modding and the leaders are easy to make, I would like to see you make one, and I am expecting orchastra music

Moderator Action: Please don't get so worked up about what others have posted. If you have a problem with a post, report it rather than responding.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

It's funny to see those with a sense of entitlement, particularly those growing up with the internet and wanting everything for free (music, games, movies, etc.). What happened in gaming business from 5-7 years ago was the previous model, just like that replaced older models and so on. People are expecting things to not change and in the world of retail and commerce, there have been a lot of changes in the past few years. The cost of capital and labor have gone up while the economy caused margins to drop. It is incredulous to me that people still expect artists, developers, managers, support personnel, administrative assistants, etc., not to mention the price of land, building, utilities and taxes, to not factor in business decisions and the cost of producing products (i.e., they should not work for profit or they should donate their time).

Here were are 11 months later and people are still working (i.e., needing to get paid and to pay other entities) to improve and add to a product that was incredibly rich in the first place, esp. compared many other games on the market. The fact they are giving consumers an a-la-carte choice is fine, albeit a little risky. But the price points are so low, esp when Steam runs a special, that it becomes irrelevant (unlike the cost of essential products). I compare the cost, not to Starbucks, but to movies. I see the millions of movie tickets sold this summer and thought of such a waste of money (almost nothing interested me this summer), esp. compared to the many hours of added content to a game that has consumed hundreds of hours of playing. That is a phenomenal ROI.

Moderator Action: Generalising about what you call the 'sense of entitlement' of other posters is trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Buying DLC's is solely individuals' decisions.

Is the DLC model good for customers? That depends on who is buying or not buying.

Basically it is just this,
people who like DLC's: flexibility to pick contents, have compulsive buying disorder

people who dislike DLC's: pricing vs. content is not fair for customers

The fact is, if DLC's sales were low, no one would make more. They would go to make expansion. However, DLC's are making them $$$ because so many of us have weak wills, including myself, and will buy everything they have to offer without thinking about fairness in pricing. Releasing DLC's in time intervals allow most people not to rage.

It's funny to see those with a sense of entitlement, particularly those growing up with the internet and wanting everything for free (music, games, movies, etc.). What happened in gaming business from 5-7 years ago was the previous model, just like that replaced older models and so on. People are expecting things to not change and in the world of retail and commerce, there have been a lot of changes in the past few years. The cost of capital and labor have gone up while the economy caused margins to drop. It is incredulous to me that people still expect artists, developers, managers, support personnel, administrative assistants, etc., not to mention the price of land, building, utilities and taxes, to not factor in business decisions and the cost of producing products (i.e., they should not work for profit or they should donate their time).

Here were are 11 months later and people are still working (i.e., needing to get paid and to pay other entities) to improve and add to a product that was incredibly rich in the first place, esp. compared many other games on the market. The fact they are giving consumers an a-la-carte choice is fine, albeit a little risky. But the price points are so low, esp when Steam runs a special, that it becomes irrelevant (unlike the cost of essential products). I compare the cost, not to Starbucks, but to movies. I see the millions of movie tickets sold this summer and thought of such a waste of money (almost nothing interested me this summer), esp. compared to the many hours of added content to a game that has consumed hundreds of hours of playing. That is a phenomenal ROI.

You make a very good point. Although, it's baffling to me that someone would walk into starbucks and pay $4.00 for a fru fru coffee drink that they'll consume in 15 minutes and complain about $7.50 for a DLC that they'll get many hours of enjoyment from. I think 2K got it right on this one.

You make a very good point. Although, it's baffling to me that someone would walk into starbucks and pay $4.00 for a fru fru coffee drink that they'll consume in 15 minutes and complain about $7.50 for a DLC that they'll get many hours of enjoyment from. I think 2K got it right on this one.

On the subject of fair price, some people would properly complain that they can make the same fru fru coffee drink at home for less then a dollar, so why should I pay so much as $4.00 im getting ripped off here!! ???? What they fail to realise is they are paying for the environment, getting served etc. The same analogy can be applied to DLC, yes they are more expensive then, for example an expansion pack but why? Stop a moment and think about it and I'm sure you can find several reasons why they are.

The "fair" price is hitting the exact spot on the chart were you will get the most profit, if the price is to low your doing charity, contrary if the price is to high you're losing money.

A couple of personal statements and questions:
Statements:
1) I do think DLC is a much more profitable consumer model than expansions were
2) DLS pricing is driven by simple supply and demand economics

Questions:
1) How do we know that the company will take the profit from DLC and pour it back into CIV development?
2) Why do we think on average that we are being ripped off, when we created the gaming industry for ourselves, and it exists for us?

In my personal opinion, us gamers seem to be struggling with something other than what we are arguing about. We are struggling with the concept that slowly we are being farmed by corporations, to buy DLC widgets that are becoming ever more trivial in nature.

But the point is simply this, every widget we buy in a consumerist society is ultimately to do with a precarious bargain. The bargain is that the widget which is actually completely trivial in nature (any and all of them), will make us somehow happy and that this is what drives the consumer economy.

However triviality cannot equate to happiness, it simply cannot. If we want to be happy, we have to search for non-trivial widgets, but ironically the non-trivial ones are completely free and do not exist in the market system.

Therefore, there is no problem.

Cheers

Thanks, glider. That's an enlightening post.

For what reason is it biased to compare DLC to expansions? Isn't that the whole point?

Who says that DLC does preclude expansions? The purpose here is to say that DLC is a greedy business model.

BTS was some 2 years in the making by the end and guess what, it was damn good with a lot of content. The DLC is just some DLC they've thrown at us over the course of a few months (actually, coming upto a year soon) and we don't know what else they're planning. So to compare the two is absolutely ridiculous as it stands.

I would also add that in the Age of Social Networking/Media, consumers demand everything to be available and accessible now, with the option of picking and choosing. 2K or Steam did not invent this model but supplemented the huge marketing model for smartphone apps, itunes music and Japanese-centric micro-content. It all goes back the original model of service contracts, which has been around for a long time, both in business and in retail.

And follow on to the post above mine, the outcry and fury would have been great if there had been no add-on content and instead, we would had to have waited until 2012 or 2013 before we got anything noticeably extra. It doesn't work that way any more, not in this age.

It is funny that you say all my posts are irrelevant when damn near three quarters of your arguments are claiming mine to be irrelevant!

Rather than give an honest response and admit that popular opinion is unimportant you will tell me to go study economics...
The only one who has studying to catch up on is you.

It has everything to do with this topic. I am explaining that the quality of the video game is what should keep people interested in it, not the stream of new content flowing constantly down as the bored gamers use their fish nets to pick up everything they can get.

What is irrelevant is that entire paragraph. It was simply pointing out that a lot of things cost money but rather than pick up on that you say "I don't use gas". :lol:

I'll give you another example: Yeah, and you probably spend more money on food too!
(hopefully you eat)

Civilization V does not cost $80 and you know it. It was $49.99 on release date. As a matter of fact I just checked steam and the price is currently $49.99 (personally, I think it should be lowered because that was almost a year ago, but that is off-topic)

$81 for the regular game! Yeah just sweep that right under the carpet there. You did not pay $80 for the game. You just conceded that the DLC is a ripoff. Thanks for doing the math for me.

I'm sure your lack of care is what has kept you responding to me. Good night!

That's the price for Australia according to Stream. But don't worry, I actually paid ~$90-100 for the retail version, which I then couldn't install for almost a week as Telstra, my ISP decided that it would be a great time to complete maul my neighbourhoods phonelines to hell. My phoneline got hooked up to next door, their's to down the street and after 2 weeks they finally got my phoneline working again, of course not actually giving us our money back for the time they were screwing us over. Australia is a complete rip off though. Also, before anyone says anything about the exchange rate the Australian dollar is on parity with the American dollar as things stand and its been like that for a long while now. Ah... Getting ripped off... Most of that's a bit irrelevant to the point, but yes, I did actually pay more than the $80 for the game and that's what its listed as on steam for me.

How can you not understand the point about economics. The entire point about sales is that they are about popular opinion. That is by definition what sets the price. Argumentum ad populum only really applies to something that has an inherent truth and this clearly doesn't. Even my own example there with the costs calculated showed that having about the 25% off as you would get (at least) in a bundle brought 18 civs down to the price of Civ V in my region. If you think you understand economic factors with some of the rubbish you're spouting then I truly do feel sorry for you.

Ah... That's what you meant by gas. The thing is that people see gas as an essential item normally, when I was talking about just crap that you buy on a whim, which is the entire concept of DLC. At the end of the day your opinion won't be swayed by anything, why? Because you're stubborn and don't even understand the basic concepts behind why this works and why they should have every right to do it. At the end of the day I don't think I'll be losing any sleep over whether or not you care and I don't think you'll lose any sleep over whether or not I care. Have a nice day.

Moderator Action: Making it needlessly personal here too.

But content is scarce.

It is? Your whole argument assumes that we won't see more "expansion pack" type content, and we very well still could (I think we will).

Civ 4 + BTS + countless patches did not happen overnight.

You're completely turning a blind eye to this possibility and to the cold fact that prices drop. Civs are rarely $5 each and all have been on sale for a significant discount. (I don't know how many more times I can say this until you acknowledge it). :crazyeye:

Moderator Action: Lots of rule-breaking posts in this thread so far. Improve the quality. Bonus infraction points from here on in.

Top Bottom