Chronicles of Adea - fantasy mod development thread

I would say the "His Unholiness" trope has been done. I'm trying to come up with a compelling leader. Give me a day or two.

Chaos Incarnate?

This would mean demons aren't necessarily evil, but just oppose anything that embodies order. Typically "good guys" tend to like order, so from our perspective they're the bad guys.

My only idea about the Demon Cultists/Worshipers is that their units should get random "demonic" promotions when produced. Normal units get random promotions too (this feature is already in the game, but not in its final form, it will be tweaked in the future), but they are more like a flavor addition with small bonuses, the demonic promotions should be much more powerful (and perhaps with some negative effects as well).

The other parts of the trait, as well as the name of the leader, the uniques etc. are not yet determined (of course they should have some kinds of demons as their UUs, especially when the models of such units become available).

Somehow I don't like the idea that Demons should be good at generating gold - I think this race should be specialized in magic (especially fire magic) rather than commerce.

After some struggling with error messages (apparently Lua doesn't like me ;)), I managed to achieve this (the part about combat types is not in the description, it's generated by the civilopedia Lua code, according to the database content):

Attachments

• civilopedia_mobility.jpg
    civilopedia_mobility.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 106
Somehow I don't like the idea that Demons should be good at generating gold - I think this race should be specialized in magic (especially fire magic) rather than commerce.
I agree. The whole idea of Demon-worshipping Cultists doesn't really fit with being excellent merchants (which is largely what gold represents, commerce/trade).

I agree. The whole idea of Demon-worshipping Cultists doesn't really fit with being excellent merchants (which is largely what gold represents, commerce/trade).

I was thinking along the lines of practical evil rather than omnicidal maniacs who are bad just for teh evuls. People who indulge in sin because it benefits them, it pleases them, without caring about the consequences of their actions.

Trying to avoid generic doomsday villainy.

But generic doomsday stuff, if done well, is good. For example, Sauron in LotR, the Infernals and the Sheaim in FfH, etc. all work amazingly well as concepts. And their gameplay (at least the FfH civs) is unique and well-done. We could execute the same idea of good gamplay and interesting lore in this mod, I think.

But generic doomsday stuff, if done well, is good. For example, Sauron in LotR, the Infernals and the Sheaim in FfH, etc. all work amazingly well as concepts. And their gameplay (at least the FfH civs) is unique and well-done. We could execute the same idea of good gamplay and interesting lore in this mod, I think.

Perhaps the demons should work through cultists who summon them into this world. Like, the big bad of the demons is some kind of embodiment of a primordial force (chaos as I reckoned it earlier,) hell bent on achieving the upper hand in his fight against his opposing primordial force (order, as I reckoned it.)

The goal of the cultists is to summon the chaos incarnate into this world because they are tricked into believing a paradise will await them after they've done their part in eradicating order.

Just spitballing.

I was thinking along the lines of practical evil rather than omnicidal maniacs who are bad just for teh evuls. People who indulge in sin because it benefits them, it pleases them, without caring about the consequences of their actions.

Trying to avoid generic doomsday villainy.

I think it's a good idea for another civ, based on rogues, pirates and the like...

Perhaps the demons should work through cultists who summon them into this world. Like, the big bad of the demons is some kind of embodiment of a primordial force (chaos as I reckoned it earlier,) hell bent on achieving the upper hand in his fight against his opposing primordial force (order, as I reckoned it.)

The goal of the cultists is to summon the chaos incarnate into this world because they are tricked into believing a paradise will await them after they've done their part in eradicating order.

Just spitballing.

This sounds similar to my vision of them :)

I'm just struggling to come up with a leader idea. I'm thinking attributes...like cruel, sorcerorous, sadomasochistic, charismatic, warlike (these aren't leader attributes, in the sense of Civ5 leader atrributes; but rather descriptive words for the Demon Cultist leader). That's what I have so far...

Though generic doomsday can be good, I don't think I've seen a fantasy setting with this particular shade of grey in it's moral spectrum. I think it could be interesting. Demon cultists don't love evil per se, they just think those holier than thou Archons' ideas of 'good' are dumb.

For a leader, how about an anti-Christ figure? Hell's own PR man, a handsome charismatic leader. Someone who kisses babies in the public's eye, and makes orphans of them behind the scenes.

Though generic doomsday can be good, I don't think I've seen a fantasy setting with this particular shade of grey in it's moral spectrum. I think it could be interesting. Demon cultists don't love evil per se, they just think those holier than thou Archons' ideas of 'good' are dumb.

For a leader, how about an anti-Christ figure? Hell's own PR man, a handsome charismatic leader. Someone who kisses babies in the public's eye, and makes orphans of them behind the scenes.

Ok, these are good ideas. But basically, your ideas fit more a different civ than we're talking. You can feel free to come up with your own ideas. If later on, you want to make a modmod, feel free. Also, we may explore your idea later on as well (no promises). Basically, if you want, come up with a complete civ idea. Present it to us or make a modmod later on. But we sort of have this archetypical idea for Demon Cultists (as I said before, think a la the Sheaim in FfH).

Edit:
I'm not trying to stifle your ideas or anything, btw. I'm just saying, what you're mentioning may not fit what we're thinking. But we do like your ideas. In this case, I'm just saying...those ideas may fit a new civ more than the Demon Cultists.

I think the last Magma_Dragoon's suggestions are not bad for a Demon Cultists civ, although for now we need the effects of this civ in the game, the lore can be expanded later.

Fine by me, its your mod. I just like tossing in idea, and am actually pretty impressed with myself when someone else likes them.

However, I must insist the idea of human sacrifice idea utilizing the prize ships promo would be F#@$ING AWESOME. I mean, just think how awesome it is when a jaguar warrior kills an enemy archer and gains HP from killing that guy and eating his heart :eek2: and multiply that by like 50.

I think the last Magma_Dragoon's suggestions are not bad for a Demon Cultists civ, although for now we need the effects of this civ in the game, the lore can be expanded later.

Are you talking about the "anti-Christ" idea? If so...hmm...you may be right. That gives me an idea...

Yes.

Also I'm thinking about the human sacrifice idea, I think doing it right will require extensive Lua or C++ coding, so it's better to do it after the alpha.
Yeah, that sounds cool too.

Suggestion:
Copy paste into the prize ship code the method for capturing a settler and turning it into a worker. Replace the worker with a prisoner unit that inherits from great prophet so he has an ability to do a thing only in a city. Replace the code behind the found religion button.

Well, as easy as that sounds, it's not top priority. As PawelS said, that'll be a task for after the alpha.

For a (potentially) less coding heavy version could it not work that captured units could be sacrificed giving faith which could be used to buy daemons in the same way Holy Warriors works in the normal G&K. I've had a quick skim read so not sure if it entirely fits but it could work fit in with an idea that the daemons are brought through via the method of trading life for life.

On a general note I'd be happy to write background and anything else, largely because the idea seems rather intriging. Even if most of it won't go into the actual mod I'd be happy to help with creating a full spanning history and such for the fun and completeness

For a (potentially) less coding heavy version could it not work that captured units could be sacrificed giving faith which could be used to buy daemons in the same way Holy Warriors works in the normal G&K. I've had a quick skim read so not sure if it entirely fits but it could work fit in with an idea that the daemons are brought through via the method of trading life for life.

The problem is that we're going to use this mechanic for the Undead (a simple version - just getting faith [renamed to mana] for kills, with the ability to buy undead units for it).

Generally I think the random demonic promotions are enough as the "big" part of the trait, at least for the alpha stage of the mod, the other parts can be just some simple bonuses (and penalties), like the ones other civs get.

On a general note I'd be happy to write background and anything else, largely because the idea seems rather intriging. Even if most of it won't go into the actual mod I'd be happy to help with creating a full spanning history and such for the fun and completeness

You're welcome :)

Top Bottom