Should Militaristic CSs gift ship UUs?

Petiscator

King
Title says it all. I don't think it has been discussed anywhere.

If militaristic CSs gift normal UUs, why shouldn't they gift one of the 5 naval UUs? (Quinquereme, Dromon, Ship of the Line, Sea Beggar, Turtle Ship)

It would be really useful in some games. IIRC, using Educated Elite from Patronage, you can get GAs, so it should follow the same mechanic about spawning.

Thoughts?

This has always bugged me. Why is it that city states are able to build ships, but not gift them. Perhaps there should be a toggle that instructs them to send ships or land units.

A toggle for naval and/or land units is a great idea. The problem might be the placement of gifted naval units--but if they're going to be able to work around the land-locked problem with Great Admirals come the "fall patch," they should be able to work around it for a future patch. Free turtle ships for defense or quinqueremes for offense would be handy.

Exactly. Would be a nice adition, specially for water map - using Sweden here to get some dromons from Valetta by honor would be nice

A toggle for naval and/or land units is a great idea. The problem might be the placement of gifted naval units--but if they're going to be able to work around the land-locked problem with Great Admirals come the "fall patch," they should be able to work around it for a future patch. Free turtle ships for defense or quinqueremes for offense would be handy.

How are they going to fix the Great Admirals? Let them walk on land or just add logic to the game so they don't spawn in small areas of water in the first place?

The logic option, though it would be nice for Great Admirals to walk on land, especially seeing that every other great person can traverse both land and water

I think gifted ships (and planes) should be a feature, but don't like the ability to choose between naval and land. Afterall, it's not like you get to choose what type of unit you get normally, it can sometimes be quite annoying, but this should be consistent, and choosing the exact unit would be OP. I guess the problem with a random ship/plane gift is the same problem with the GA, and the inland sea thing, or with air that there's no way to ensure it can move to anywhere useful. That and knowing which cities are inland. Not impossible to do, but I imagine it'll take time to code and firaxis can't be bothered for what it sees as a marginal feature. Other than that I'm all for it, and not just for UU's.

Hmm. I never knew this. I thought they never gave ships because they were landlocked or just had not decided to.

They should be able to gift ships if they are a coastal CS.

Top Bottom