Pre-v36 Bugfix List

I strongly believe that in most if not all cases, replacement buildings should supersede the obsoletion mechanism.

I have a tendency to filter a specific resource *hammers, money, food etc* in the city screen and make quick build queues from cheap to expensive by shift-clicking. If I can build both a building and its replacement, I will probably build some buildings for nothing by accident as they get replaced by buildings later in the same queue (if you are going to build the latest building anyway, there is no need to build the more primitive version). It already happens with bead maker -> bead workshop if I remember correctly.

It would be great if the hammers that went into the primitive building become a hammer discount for the later building.

OK what I have done with the Scroll Maker and Scrolls is
1) Both now obsolete at Computers
2) At Printing Press the Scroll Maker looses its :commerce: and :education: and gains a small bit of :culture:

What I forgot to do is check the buildings that use scrolls and make them loose any benefit they may get from them.

edit turns out Scrolls are used to control the availability of buildings nothing gets extra benefit from them.

I am not enamoured with this "straight line" approach of a conveyor belt of buildings replacing one after the other. Taken its logical conclusion we would just have 8 (for each era) buildings doing the same thing as one another. It becomes a spreadsheet exercise

A more imaginitive and open- ended approach is much more fun

Like Bead Maker's Hut staying for a lot longer before going obsolete (IF going obsolete) but:
only giving 1 Beads
not being build-able everywhere (as it relies on local access)

requiring Beads to be "used up" by other buildings, like a market building giving +1% gold from Beads should "spend" a Beads resource too.

Bead Factory on the other hand would give x Beads (Like 5) and be build-able everywhere as by then logistics should be solved.

And Assembly stuff should not obsolete Factories but give them a bonus, like 10x Beads instead.

Of course if details on how it worked varied with different buildings it would be more fun too.

Cheers

Or perhaps some (most) of the huts and other early cottage industry buildings, particularly those building perishables, should only produce them locally (i.e. only available to the city with said early building). Would make canning, refridge, and other 'preservative' techs more important.

Like Bead Maker's Hut staying for a lot longer before going obsolete (IF going obsolete) but:
only giving 1 Beads
not being build-able everywhere (as it relies on local access)

requiring Beads to be "used up" by other buildings, like a market building giving +1% gold from Beads should "spend" a Beads resource too.

Bead Factory on the other hand would give x Beads (Like 5) and be build-able everywhere as by then logistics should be solved.

And Assembly stuff should not obsolete Factories but give them a bonus, like 10x Beads instead.

Of course if details on how it worked varied with different buildings it would be more fun too.

Cheers

Beads is a bad example since
1) they can be made from all sorts of natural and man made materials even in ancient eras.

2) shell beads, and glass for that matter, were made many kilometers from where the shells or glass was made. In prehistoric times nomadic tribes would pick shells during their time near the coast and be made into beads in the winter resting place half a year away. For quite a long period glass was not made in Ancient Egypt but imported from the Near East for use by the bead makers.

As yet we do not have the concept of quantity or of resources being consumed.

Or perhaps some (most) of the huts and other early cottage industry buildings, particularly those building perishables, should only produce them locally (i.e. only available to the city with said early building). Would make canning, refridge, and other 'preservative' techs more important.

There is no real concept of "local" in Civ IV. We (RoM, RoM:AND and C2C) have implemented the idea of local or vicinity for map resources but they still have to be classed as available to trade by Civ IV. I think it can also work for manufactured resources in C2C because the salt produced by the salt buildings is considered in the vicinity for the Cultures etc.

I did try out a new way of doing something like this with the Jade buildings.

I am not enamoured with this "straight line" approach of a conveyor belt of buildings replacing one after the other. Taken its logical conclusion we would just have 8 (for each era) buildings doing the same thing as one another. It becomes a spreadsheet exercise

A more imaginitive and open- ended approach is much more fun
This approach helps tremendously with a steady and smooth growing complexity in game balance. It's not 8 for each era but there really should be core progression chains which grow like vines through the structure and from those sprout unique gems only available in particular eras, and added branch offs and newly sprouting progressing chains as the things move forward. So that way it stays interesting but follows along growing in tandem with some familiarity to keep things from feeling like nothing but a ball of chaos and making it impossible to judge how to properly balance a fairly steady increase of various income types (yields and commerces for example.)

I do want to eventually allow for local only access to resources like you suggest. As I have learned a bit more about resource tallying in the code I realized it's going to be a nightmare of a project. But I do want to enable it eventually.

Based on Platyping's "Manufactured Goods" mod it would be possible to code a simplistic quantity system with resources available locally or nationally. The problem as always is getting the AI to understand and use it.

I addressed that issue in depth a while back in the bug thread after you posted about it. I don't specifically recall what the resolution WAS but if I recall, after close evaluation, it was determined that it had been setup according to the intended design. I will try to find the reply to this later and repost it here if you haven't found it in the meantime.

I truly wonder what is the 'intended design' of such feature that player can't build normal factories nor industrial complexes anywhere on map after assembly line and refrigeration techs. Please do enlighten me.

Based on Platyping's "Manufactured Goods" mod it would be possible to code a simplistic quantity system with resources available locally or nationally. The problem as always is getting the AI to understand and use it.

I don't see any point in this, available resource is available and roads act as a transport network so why over-complex it and spend time in vain to draw lines between "local" and "national" resources. Fine example of pointless work that takes time from important things like bug squashing and avoiding to create them in the first place.

Measurable amounts of held resources would be welcome instead with accurate or less accurate amounts of them like in Hearts of iron-games.

I don't see any point in this, available resource is available and roads act as a transport network so why over-complex it and spend time in vain to draw lines between "local" and "national" resources.

Mostly because roads don't come until late in the game.

I truly wonder what is the 'intended design' of such feature that player can't build normal factories nor industrial complexes anywhere on map after assembly line and refrigeration techs. Please do enlighten me.

Of course you must've found the original response post here.

Actually, to me it's entirely self-evident but let me try to then explain why that is.

Factories came into use thanks the introduction of the Assembly line. This is real world history. You don't have factories before you have assembly line. Read to your heart's content:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_line

Lending to more advanced processes in material handling, Refrigeration in our game structure opens up the evolved and improved factory 2. This may be a bit more arbitrary.

But the cause for making assembly line the key tech for factories in general is unquestionable.

I think he means NOT being able to build Factories or Industrial Complexes as improvements after Assembly Line tech?
This might be a bug coming about due to the Factory Improvement having 2 entries, one enabled by "Assembly Line" and one by "Refrigeration"?

Cheers

I think he means NOT being able to build Factories or Industrial Complexes as improvements after Assembly Line tech?
This might be a bug coming about due to the Factory Improvement having 2 entries, one enabled by "Assembly Line" and one by "Refrigeration"?

Cheers

Yes, exactly right. Thank you for clarifying this simple fact to ones who need it.

So again to Tb and other whom fixing this might concern : I too have two factory entries in pedia and i am UNABLE to build factories on map AFTER the mentioned techs are discovered. I hope that this makes the simple issue finally clear enough to be fixed.

Surely some of you will fix this brain fart in V36 so players can again build factories properly. I have been told that my bug reports are appreciated but it certainly does not feel like that if i (and others) have to (again) explain simple issues many times.

Cheers

Yes, exactly right. Thank you for clarifying this simple fact to ones who need it.

So again to Tb and other whom fixing this might concern : I too have two factory entries in pedia and i am UNABLE to build factories on map AFTER the mentioned techs are discovered. I hope that this makes the simple issue finally clear enough to be fixed.

Surely some of you will fix this brain fart in V36 so players can again build factories properly. I have been told that my bug reports are appreciated but it certainly does not feel like that if i (and others) have to (again) explain simple issues many times.

Indeed than you BlueGenie for clarifying it, I was convinced that Reisk@ was talking about the buildings so did not bother with it but if he is talking about plot improvements then it is something I may be able to do something about.

BtW it is not unknown for an improvement to have two tech requirements, in fact all probably do but the pedia only displays both if they are different. One is for the improvement and the other is for the various workers who can build the improvement. I have not looked but I suspect that one of the special workers was not updated correctly when the last review of the improvements was done.

I will look into it next.

edit There are at least two but they use the same text key so I can't be sure which is which in the pedia. I am going to have to look back at earlier versions of C2C to see if I can untangle it.

edit 2 I have figured out why there are two improvements and I have changed the name of one of them to "Factory (Cold Climate)" as it can only be placed on snow, tundra and permafrost terrains. The other one can be placed on grass and the other warmer terrains. This may fix the problem as sometimes having the name the same confuses the game as much as the player. If it doesn't then I suggest someone who is not dyslexic look at the two improvements "improvement_3factory" and "improvement_3factory_2" as I can see nothing else wrong there.

edit 3 It does suggest that we should be showing valid terrains for the improvements in the pedia.

Hi.
I don´t know if this is the right tread for this, but i´ve just started playing a new game last night with the in progress version with latest SVN update.
I don´t have any logs because my games always get #### up when i do. But one thing is that my option choises, like archer bombardment, shift que, hide unbuildable buildning etc. etc. are reset to default after loading a save. (Translation: the boxes aren´t checked anymore).
I don´t know if you good people making this mod whants bug reports here. Refere me please to an other thread if thats the case :)
(on an other subject, I saw the conversation about age a week back. I´m 30 :) )
BR Loffas

Hi.
I don´t know if this is the right tread for this, but i´ve just started playing a new game last night with the in progress version with latest SVN update.
I don´t have any logs because my games always get #### up when i do. But one thing is that my option choises, like archer bombardment, shift que, hide unbuildable buildning etc. etc. are reset to default after loading a save. (Translation: the boxes aren´t checked anymore).
I don´t know if you good people making this mod whants bug reports here. Refere me please to an other thread if thats the case :)
(on an other subject, I saw the conversation about age a week back. I´m 30 :) )
BR Loffas

Not a Bug just an Oddity of the BUG Options. To get your settings in BUG Options to stick you Must manually save the game twice in a row. Save the game after setting you options in BUG and then immediately save again. It will ask if you want to overwrite the 1st save. You click Ok. Now your settings will stay for this particular game.

And no this isn't the Bug reporting thread that has it's own Stickied sub forum.

JosEPh :)

edit 2 I have figured out why there are two improvements and I have changed the name of one of them to "Factory (Cold Climate)" as it can only be placed on snow, tundra and permafrost terrains. The other one can be placed on grass and the other warmer terrains. This may fix the problem as sometimes having the name the same confuses the game as much as the player. If it doesn't then I suggest someone who is not dyslexic look at the two improvements "improvement_3factory" and "improvement_3factory_2" as I can see nothing else wrong there.

Thank you, i trust that factories can be again built in V36 and that the two mentioned techs do not obsolete them anymore and thus render them unbuildable.

You did check the mentioned techs right ? They obsolete factories for some strange reason and that is why they can't be built. Please check that this really works before releasing new version.

There is no obsolete function on improvements or builds besides being able to build the next up improvement and that only stops their availability if you have the "hide obsolete worker actions" BUG option turned on.

All I had time for was a quick check that all the XML pieces were there and linking correctly. I did not have time to do a test and wont until at least Wednesday.

Top Bottom