Shoshone Deity Huge Empire Challenge Series!

Today we use our entire economy as collateral for short-term loans, because getting to space as fast as possible is totally worth it! This world is headed towards nuclear holocaust anyway judging by all the AI spamming Manhattan projects, so we're anxious to get off planet as a back up plan! Also, as a result of our extremely rapid post-Apollo info era tech acquisition we manage to time all the parts to launch simultaneously. Who even needs engineers? ;)

Part 36: Keynesianism

Disclaimer: danaphanous is not responsible for any bankrupt viewers that attempt to borrow against their golden-age economies :D

Rather then make this a straightforward click for victory, we decided to continue focusing on the future with more settlers! ;) Timing is almost perfect on the launch but a Spanish spectator apparently stops all the trucks on the highway? Damn tourists...

Part 37: Troll Spain + Victory!

What a fun series! Thanks so much to everyone that's been watching an commenting!
My two ideas for my next single player LP were to either play one of the huge yet not another earth map packs or one of the historical scenarios that civ 5 comes with. If you have a preference on the next civ I play let me know!

You have only a couple days left to give suggestions if you want to weigh in on the next SP series!

Currently my idea is to play an earth 22-civ huge map as Portugal, at the suggestion of a viewer on the last video. The idea being that the proximity of Spain will make expansion difficult and civs in less crowded areas will have a big advantage and lots more territory to settle. :)

I have also gone through and commentated over the corrupt audio of Shoshone Empires 5&8 and it's back up on the channel! I'll do #8 as well soon! Thanks everyone! :D

Part 5: War Drums
Part 8: More Cities!!!

The 2nd Deity Challenge Series has officially launched! I'll be playing a scenario suggested by the Romanian Communist (YT handle) where we'll be playing a 22-civ, 25-CS huge earth map with true spawn locations. We'll play Portugal with Spain also enabled which on this map size crowds Iberia a lot making it almost impossible to expand normally early-game. All other civs are random so we won't know who made it into the game and certain guys with few neighbors may end up snowballing as well! I think it will be very difficult. ;)

We'll attempt to survive being locked off by the Spanish and head for the victory! :D

This looks to be the most difficult game I've ever played! Upon loading up the scenario we find ourselves uncomfortably close to Spain with barely enough room to settle! On top of that the spawn is bad haha :D It is clear Iberia is NOT big enough for the two of us but how can I take out Spain without falling behind on this huge/Deity challenge? I'll be giving this some serious thought till next time. Excited to play! :)

Part 1: Desperation

If a mod is following these challenges, is there a way to change the thread title to something more general now that Shoshone Empires is completed? I'd like something like "Deity Empire Challenge Series".

Lastly, I know a lot of viewers have commented that they’ve enjoyed watching my series for the tips on playing Deity. The harder the challenges get, such as this game, the less applicable my gameplay may be to a real game and I’d like to keep giving helpful advice for others that want to play on Deity and have fun. So...how would you guys feel about the occasional tutorial video highlighting different aspects of gameplay or mechanics? I already recorded some footage for one such video but wasn’t sure if it would fit the channel, let me know what you guys think!

Definite yes please to the tutorial style videos here. Great first episode - listening to your thought process is pure gold.

Re EUI, you can just drag and drop the production queue into the order you want. You can also use shift-click to add items to the front of the queue as you build it. On the options - interface options, set Map Info Delay to zero. Have a play with the other tooltip options too - I have No Basic Tooltip and Time 2 set to zero as well for example.

Alright, thanks for the info, glad to hear the EUI problems can be fixed! :)

Part 2 of Portugal YNAEMP: Iberian Rivalry is out! I discuss the pros and cons of our situation and possible options. We pick the riskier and more warlike of the possible plans to victory because it's more fun! ;)

Part 2: Blitzkrieg!

Unfortunately I'm away this weekend so the next video won't be till next week.

yeah it was! There were a few problems with recording it though. For instance:
- I was having trouble switching between civs and playing well for them all, I found myself much more interested in the iroquois and assyria and giving them more time and skill ;)
- also I realized the series was going to get very slow later in the game, especially as I start warring unless someone gets wiped out.
- I may continue it in the future, just a bit busy to run 2 series atm and most people seemed to like my singleplayer runs since I had more time/discussion for the civ in those. :)

A better tournament size would be 1 v 1 I think.

Hey guys, just a heads up, work is crazy this week. Not sure when I can record again. :( Really looking forward to settling Africa though, it'll be cool being the sole controller of the Straits of Gibraltar! Hope you guys enjoyed my early-game knockout rush, totally blindsided Spain haha. ;) was super pleased that that worked. Sometimes it doesn't if you give the AI time to react to your military buildup. You have to be fast.

What do you guys think of the new series so far? Is it interesting? Do you want to see it continue and see me recover from such a terrible starting scenario? I honestly made it loads easier for myself capping Madrid before she could embark to Africa and land-compete with me but I'm still pretty behind from it all so it should be interesting playing catch-up and trying to manage without being conquered. There are some incredibly strong AI nearby. Songhai's army is massive, I'll have to be careful. :)

Finding the series interesting so far :)

Spoiler :
A few minutes before the end of this vid I was thinking 'hmm, Rome is amassing quite a few units, I'd be getting nervous but he doesn't like Portugal and likes you, so you are probably OK.'

Probably. :crazyeye:

haha you can never trust civs like them. :D of course this series had to keep it lively for me. Heaven forbid I get a safe 30 turns to settle haha :p. Just recorded part 4 and 5 now that I have some free time going! It continues to get worse. This challenge is determined to give me my first loss, we'll see!

Part 4: Roman Invasion!

On the last turn of our last video the Roman's attacked! They are attempting to conquer a new Roman Empire and must be stopped! We do a full mobilization to fend off the enemies and make a desperate stand on the East Coast of Iberia. Meanwhile our settlers slip away to Africa! ;)

Just watched part 3. Man, this game looks tough!

You asked a couple of questions about EUI during the episode that I don't see any answers for yet so,

Possible trades are indicated by the little square icons to the left of the leader. For strategics, they must want the item (at least one) and be able to pay the equivalent of 1GPT in either gold or GPT. If you look about 17:00 you will see the icon for iron for just about all the civs. The fact that Rome wouldn't pay 2 gpt despite apparently being friendly was a hint that he might be deceiving you.

For their luxuries to show up, they must have at least two copies (one may be imported) of the lux. For your luxuries, the icon will still show when you have a single copy. For your one to show, they must also be able to either swap for one of their own or pay the equivalent of 5 (I think) GPT in any combination of gold/gpt.

Essentially you can see possible deals, but you still have to decide if you want them and negotiate a price. The most useful part is seeing when luxes become available, and also who might buy your excess luxes.

Towards the end of the episode, one of the civs had two luxes he would sell. Rome also very briefly had copper to sell. There were also potential buyers for your marble, but you only have the one copy. Still, in various circumstances, you might want to trade for tactical purposes.

Regarding the info when you mouse over the leaders, generally red means "no", "bad" or "can't", while green is the opposite. The red embassy just means you don't have one. The next section of bullet points is diplo modifiers - green here is good. Finally there is a section on their relationships with CS and other civs.

Hope that helps. :)

ok, that is super useful info. I assumed from the format the sidebar probably had way more information then I was picking up but I wasn't sure how to read it! Thanks again man! I think I read in the description that they said all this info was checkable in vanilla as well right? They aren't giving me more information then I should have just organizing it better?

Also, is there some way to check the military score of a particular civ and not just the leader? I've always hated that the AI knows my exact military score at all times but I can only tell the lowest and highest for them. :/ I've never seen it anywhere other then the occasional info popups.

And in other new part 5 is live! And yes, this game is super tough. More terrible luck this time, not that I didn't expect it with how aggressive and crowded everyone is. I might lose this one. But I'm gonna struggle till the bitter end, comebacks are my specialty! And maybe I'll learn something through this experience. ;)

Part 5: Mandekalu Terror

Military Advisior can approximate it relative to you, but I don't know any other way.

Yes, EUI doesn't add any info you can't get in the base game - I believe it is allowed in GOTM because of this.

Beyond the military adviser (click on your own portrait to see your advisers) you would need a mod to see the actual scores - InfoAddict does this if you are interested. Personally I don't use it although I did give a try a few years ago. I believe you need to start a game with it active; you can't add it to an existing game.

Enjoying the series - informative and entertaining - but probably be next week before I catch up with the latest episodes.

Interesting, well, at least i won't be doing something THAT complicated on accident. :D

Part 6 is out! The Songhai are putting up the best fight I've had in a while, I'm already hating their stupid war canoes promotion. :)

With Mandekalu Cavalry roaming the Sahara, Pikemen assaults, and now naval invasions! It's all we can do to hold the straight of Gibraltar. Also the Songhai troops prevent us from any further settling, so we continue to fight, accelerating our science as best we can and growing our 3 cities, aiming for pikemen to counter the Mandekalu terror! On the plus side if he continues his never let up the attack mode we may have logistics and range quite early which will really help with defense!

Part 6: Naval Invasion!

I started a huge map with NQ mod and indonesia. Dear lord it gets painful later on. 1 minute turn transitions.
Also the game just crashed as soon as I got sattelites anyway lol.
Would have been a turn 240 science win with 12 cities maybe.

Also, as usual:
Spoiler :

lol

Anyway, huge maps.... way too long, but hilarious.
Also I realized really late that order+liberty is a really garbage combo for science win...

Top Bottom