Votes: 150 20.6%
  • Taoism

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • Christianity

Votes: 189 26.0%
  • Islam

Votes: 34 4.7%

• Total voters
I usually use confuncism because I like to expand quicker so I need code of laws, for courthouses.

After I have Pottery, Bronze Working, and Some tile improvement techs out of the way I normally Tech to Priesthood for the Oracle and grab Code of Laws to found Confusianism. Or I'll build Stonehenge and use my Great Prophet to found Christianity.

Even if I start with Mysticism, I find an early religeon just takes too much wind out of my sails. Don't get me wrong a Hindu or Buddist Holy city can potentially pay off hugely in the long run, diplomatically and financially. I just feel that I fall too far behind if I do... not enough land grabbed, behind technologically, cottages not developed enough, wonder oppertunities missed.

I know I started doing a lot better with Saladin on Monarch when I stopped trying to grab Meditation or Polytheism right out of the gate.

Hinduism, because it's easy to get, early, and if you miss it you can go for Judaism.

I tend to use Judaism, not only because I can get it even after researching almost all the ancient age techs but because the white circle stands out pretty well so you know exactly what cities practice it.

All that and my last two games were both with Nazi leaders and I thought the Jewish state religion was funny. I lost the first one as Adolf Hitler cuz I tried to go Diplomatic. Alexander, the ONE guy who didn't vote at all won the Space Race... I was one part behind:(

The second game as Heinz Buckliger (a Harry Turtledove character) I won pretty handily in the Space Race. AIs were demanding Assembly Line - I was on Future Tech 2:-x

glad to see everyone sharing opinions and strategys

Buddism, Islam or Christanity.

Buddhism because its my "favorite" religion in real life (I disslike all religions but buddhism is way better then all the other).
Islam if I dident found any early religions and because I like the symbol.
Christanity because of the gregorian priest that sings when you spread it, sounds good.

I end up getting Confucianism, 'coz I don't rave after the early religions, and later on the Confu/Tao/Christ/Islam techs are a must, so these four are the ones I end up with most of the time.

Sabretou said:
I end up getting Confucianism, 'coz I don't rave after the early religions, and later on the Confu/Tao/Christ/Islam techs are a must, so these four are the ones I end up with most of the time.

I can see how Code of Laws, Philosophy, and Theology are important, but how is Divine Right "a must"? It gives you, what, Versailles and the Spiral Minaret? Sure, it also leads to Nationalism, but you can get there from Philosophy anyway (which is, in my opinion, easier to do).

I normally get Confucianism, because I am in need of courthouses. As others have said, theology and philosophy are valuable techs and I often go for them too. if I play a Spirtual leader i go for hinduism.

I usually grab the early religions like Buddhism and Hinduism and Judiasm. I then try spreading the first one I get to *most* of my neighboors. I then try either spreading the other religion I get to the one or two (usually decently ranked) other civs. If I don't get two religions I basically try to spread my religion as quickly as possible to make my religion the dominate one. Basically I try to have one or two civs have a different religion than me and have everyone else have my religion. This makes it so that I can feel safe in terms of war, If I want to gain more territory via war I can do so with the help of many civs and avoid those pesky "you declared war on our friend" -1 relationship penalties. In my current game I went religion crazy and spent nearly all my research on religion. However, this ironically made it so that I couldnn't spread one religion with missionaries because my military became so weak that when two barb warriors came it was a huge threat to my empire and I was nearly wiped out (I know its pretty pathetic). This caused me to instead of building missionaries build desparetly needed warriors. Normally I would be able to build two or three archers and be fine but I hadn't researched archery and I therefore needed to build alot of warriors. What happended was that my religions spreaded randomly(through trade routes) and at one point every single civ had a different religion and everybody was annoyed with each other. After a while almost evreyone converted to confusionism because that happended to randomly become dominant and then everyone switched to christianinty (it happended to become dominant) and then a few turns later switched back to confusionism, etc. ,etc., I think there was a total of five major switches before I stablized the major religion with missionaries (it happended to be confusionism because at the time I got a great prophet that was the major religion- by 1%- and I built that shrine). In other words trying to control religion is great, just make sure you actually control it. An example of how controlling religions can benfit you is that in another game I had were I completly owned religions and was able to declare war and destroy 5 civs without a single "you declared war on our friend" penalty (I actually didn't start off with having 5 civs have one religion and the others have the other religion I at first had only 2 civs with a different religion; destroyed them; and the converted one civ destroyed them, then converted the other civ, then destroyed him, and then the other one founded a religion and I then destroyed him-and this was on deity occ challenge, jk it was just a normal warlord game)

If I start with mysticism, I rush for Buddhism. Then I focus on building the shrine, temple, and monastery for it in the same city. That'll bring some cash in eventually, once I spread it around a bit. Cash, and obedient ALLEGIANCE!

If I happen to be using a leader that doesn't start with mysticism, I forgo religion entirely. It's all superstition, you know. I'll usually only convert if it'll be diplomatically beneficial.

Tompskij said:
Buddhism because its my "favorite" religion in real life (I disslike all religions but buddhism is way better then all the other).
I agree!

I usually do Christianity, just cause i don't reach others soon enough. There's no real advantage or disadvantage to any religion right? I know it affects diplomacy and i think some military promotions with Theocracy, but otherwise anyone know?

i don't usually get buddha or hindu too early onn and i haven't established my tech lead (i play monArch)

Top Bottom