Technological peculiarities

Horizons

Needing fed again!
Some things concern me about the tech tree:

1) Industrialization = Gattling guns, possible without having knowledge of gunpowder :confused:

2) The Internet = Possible without having knowledge of computers. :confused: How is that even possible?

There are bound to be others ... but this whole branching out thing seems to go to extremes. Making technological progress is probably the hardest part of this game to master, even the AI finds it difficult to research all the techs before 2050.

lol!

Yes, it happens. Unless you code it like this:
Code:
<Type>TECH_INDUSTRIALIZATION</Type>
<Prereqtech>TECH_GUNPOWDER</Prereqtype>
But I assume that's probably gonna cause some crashes and errors.

If we're talking about coding and modding at this stage does that mean Firaxis is done with Civ5?

I suspect that would cause no errors

Since Computers is on the military side of the tech tree and Internet is on the culture side, making Internet require Computers would unbalance the game by a great margin. It would force culture players to take a huge number of worthless techs in order to get to the most important tech in the game for that victory condition while warmongers can stick with their preferred beeline.

Gameplay trumps realism, gameplay trumps realism.

We have had it many times. So many times. If I had a dollar for every post someone makes complaining about the lack of realism in Civilization V I could quit my job right now and live a comfortable middle class life.

Balancing victory conditions trumps reality is the cardinal rule of game design; just like every good writer knows not to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Your people can know how to draw people using those awesome glowbox things without having them. The bonus from internet is all about using the internet to show other peoples your culture and landmarks, as I understand it.

Gatling guns, without gunpowder, is a bit more of a problem, but remember that the tech gunpowder doesn't really mean the discovery of gunpowder (Korea would have a UU problem without it), but the use of it. I suppose that is the use of gunpowder in small personal weapons.

Writing leading to Drama and Poetry is the most insane thing on the tech tree, though. It may be the only thing that I really can't even hope to justify. At least other things, I can generally twist it to work, but in that one place, there's no hope of it.

I don't have time to trawl through this forum every day. I am too busy having a comfortable middle class lifestyle haha :D

I find these explanations unconvincing. If that's the case then why have any dependencies in the tech tree. Let everyone research whatever they want to without any prerequisites.

Some things concern me about the tech tree:

1) Industrialization = Gattling guns, possible without having knowledge of gunpowder :confused:

2) The Internet = Possible without having knowledge of computers. :confused: How is that even possible?

lol!

There's more LOL than that in the tech tree:

Horse Archer (Huns) -- Possible for an archer to ride a horse without knowing how to ride a horse.
Frigate -- Possible to build a ship that has cannon on it, without knowing how to make a cannon. In fact you don't even have to know how to make iron or bronze.
Artillery -- Possible to make a cannon with rifling without knowing about rifling.

There is trade between civilizations. Lots of civilizations in history had access to things they couldn't build themselves. Civ A builds and sells computers and Civ B uses them to spread their culture on the internet. Same can be said for a lot of the other discrepancies. Still.....

I'm half tempted to add that to my signature.

The Internet = Possible without having knowledge of computers. :confused: How is that even possible?

Maybe it's an inter-net of steam-powered phones.

Invented by the same Great Scientist who came up with the Civ V steam-powered aeroplanes. :mischief:

Since Computers is on the military side of the tech tree and Internet is on the culture side, making Internet require Computers would unbalance the game by a great margin. It would force culture players to take a huge number of worthless techs in order to get to the most important tech in the game for that victory condition while warmongers can stick with their preferred beeline.

Yeah but at least they could toss in some effort to name the technologies in ways that don't induce hazardous amounts of derp. :sad:

Yeah but at least they could toss in some effort to name the technologies in ways that don't induce hazardous amounts of derp. :sad:

Don't look at the techs as actual techs, but puzzles pieces you put into your empire to earn benefits from.

LIke people say, sadly, Civ game has never been a simulation/sandbox game, it has an end, each game. And sadly, the game has to adjust to that, meaning a lot of realistic elements are taken out.

I mean, you live for over 10000 years as a leaderi n the game anyway.

I think someone here had a sig saying you can get to archaeology without mining.

There's also something early on that doesn't require the wheel that you think would. Maybe the chariot archer. But hey, it's not like the first game, where you can build automobiles and then go back and discover the wheel later.

I also vaguely remember a lot of things being possible without Computers. In this very thread, internet being allowed without Computers for game balance. I kind of get the game balance argument, but would rather see Computers take a role more like Civil Service has (passive bonus, lots of techs requiring it, slightly higher in the tree vertically), since, you know, in real life they're kind of important.

submarines before Combustion. in this case i would argue, due to subs' being pretty powerful, that it's both bad gameplay as well as realism.

You can excuse some peculiarities for game balance, but there are alot of superior things that could be built by bypassing techs, allowing certain units to be completely ignored and that I don't find balanced at all. E.g. I can build 16 strength pikes without iron working over 14 strength swordsman. What are pikes made of? Bronze? Gatlings before muskets is another one. Subs before iron clads. In some ways the Vanilla version is much more balanced.

Frigate -- Possible to build a ship that has cannon on it, without knowing how to make a cannon. In fact you don't even have to know how to make iron or bronze.

But Frigates requires Iron to build, both in CiV and in real life.

Top Bottom