Keyframes for BNW strategies

Ogrelord

Prince
With the launch approaching, I thought I would write down a very basic guideline notes for BNW.

Spoiler :
Trade Routes need a Caravan Camel smilie

• Animal Husbandry: Your first Trade Route.
  • Sailing: Second Trade Route. But this could be your first, just go Pottery and have access to Calendar if you have a Coastal City start.
  • Protect the valuable Trade Routes. Barbarians are fair raiders and pirates.
  • You need Granary for FOOD :c5food: and Workshop for Production :c5production: for Internal Trade Routes.
  • All Trade Routes will be destroyed if you are going to war with the Civ that is ITR destinations.

Social Policies
:c5goldenage:
  • Don't be afraid to open up many SPs and take some here and there.
  • Make sure you have the require tech to fully use the bonus. i.e. It isn't optimal to complete the Exploration tree if you haven't research Archaeology.

Culture :c5culture:

• You are most likely to have these in the following order: Writers Guild, Artists Guild, Musician Guild. Specialized the cities that has those National Wonders.
  • Don't be afraid to use the GW, & GA for their unique abilities other than Create Great Work, especially early game.
  • Great People tile improvement is a worthy investment, especially with a World Congress proposal and one of the Ideology tenets.
  • You do not necessarily need Great Works to generate Tourism but it helps.
  • Don't dig if you don't have place to display.

World Congress :c5citystate: :c5influence:
  • If diplo is your thing, be the first for Printing Press and meet with everyone.
  • Move your diplomat around after securing delegates votes through trade via diplomacy. There are certain amount of turns between proposal and voting.
  • There are some diplomatic relationship modifiers when you make a proposal, vote Yay or Nay, repeal resolution, that helps or hinder other Civilizations.

Ideology :c5war: :c5strength:
  • Be the first in the Modern Era... or...
  • Be the first to construct 3 factories. This is a gamble, you need to secure coal resources and make sure you have good Production in 3 cities.
  • The diplomatic relationship modifier for having a different Ideology is hhhhhuuuuuuuugggeeee.
  • Be the first to pick an Ideology that no ones picked before gets you 2 free tenents, 1 if you are the second... so choose your Ideology wisely.

A.I.
emperor or higher :c5capital:
  • just like how they love to go for the Great Library, now they are other key techs and Wonders they just love to go for.
  • Do not neglect any A.I.s.. you can't sit in a little corner without interacting with the other Civs. The new mechanics demands that you need to be aware of what everyone is doing.

Good Luck Have Fun !!

My only complaint about your post is that it didn't take me 4 hours 58 minutes and 41 seconds to read :thumbsup: Otherwise, very nice :D

Very good summary, these are things I will defintiley remember as I start my learning of BNW!

You're all very welcome.
There is so much more, little strategic nuances here and there. As in Fighting games, you would find new hit combos.. The fun part is exploring those strategies.

Probably worth mentioning that getting gold early on is much more difficult. Rivers/oceans (and lakes?) don't have gold. Also, the AI is constrained in the same way, so it'll be rare to be able to get a good deal from the AI if you want to sell them stuff. Lastly, even if you get early caravans/cargo ships, you probably won't be able to protect them effectively.

Thus, the Honor SP tree opener is valuable. Barbs are a good source of gold, and makes the country side safer for Trade. And maybe you will go back to it in the late game when Ideologies clashes and World Civ War starts.

WAR is not good for business. A.I. will not hesitate to plunder A.I.s trade routes (in which they are war with) whose ITR destinations are your cities (so you'll losing a bit of free income).

Top Bottom