Votes: 14 14.6%
  • Standard

Votes: 56 58.3%
  • Epic

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • Marathon

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters
Standard is a good speed preference for me and quick is also a good preference for me.

I play Epic 90% of the time, and standard the rest of the time. Epic seems to be the right balance for me.

I prefer epic but the problem is when you want to talk strategy on threads nobody wants to help out because they only know standard speed strategy

I play Epic. I used to play Marathon in Civ 4, but the in between torn delay is too much for me to wait for a Marathon game's worth of turns in Civ 5. So, I cranked it down to Epic and work with that.

so after all these people saying "standard, standard, standard" My most recent game that I am currently playing is now on STANDARD. lol

and I do understand what a lot of you were saying about diving deeper into each era, because so far I'm into early Medieval, and it is pretty enjoyable to still have a lot of use with Pikeman, Knights, and Swordsman. As oppose to quick where I'd usually be dumping some outdated troops for new ones, and spending tons of gold to upgrade. :p

I'll probably go back to quick once and awhile, but I definitely think I'll stick with standard for awhile.

I'd like quick best if there was some way of not making the units grow old so fast, like double movement or someting. Don't know.

As it is I prefer standard and Epic as second. Marathon is to slow and quick make units useless to fast.

I voted for standard. The game seems to be specifically designed and balanced for the standard speed and map size. The other speeds just have annoying pacing and balance issues for me. The most significant is that damage from combat doesn't scale at all with game speed.

QUICK = Killing units is very hard on quick speed, since they can be built so fast. A replacement unit can be built and damaged units on the front line can be constantly replaced with fresh ones. Early in the game, barbarians can be really annoying if you're a non-militaristic civ. They spawn more quickly but take just as long to kill. On Standard speed, I can usually dedicate one Spearman or one Warrior and one Archer to hunt barb camps. On quick, I need an army of 3 or 4 units dedicated just for hunting barbs because by the time it takes me to kill one unit, 2 more have spawned!

Once you get past the early game, tech progress is so fast that there just isn't time to build and use your units. This gives a greater advantage to defenders, since the time it takes to march an army across the map gives the opponent enough time to research techs and upgrade units. This can restrict the player into having to focus its conquests on nearby civs. The problem with that is that those civs are often my trading partners and friends / allies, so suddenly turning aggro on them hurts me diplomatically with everyone else.

EPIC and MARATHON = Have basically the opposite problem. Units take so long to build that you just can't afford to lose any - especially early in the game. If you lose your first warrior or scout to barbarians, the time it takes to build another one means that all the goody huts are gone and all the CSs have been met.

I'm not saying that the game is broken because of these factors. Rather, they just really screw with the pace of the game for me. It's not so much of a big deal if I know that I'm going for a turtle strategy.

What's really frustrating though, is that I feel that the first half of the game goes too fast and the second half too slow (on any speed). What I would really like is for the first half of the game to play like Epic and the second half to play like standard. That way I have more time to use early game units.

Quick is fine if you shrink the map down to small. The scale of battles are smaller but you need to play more tactically because theres less time for you waste turns manoeuvring and healing. Insta heal is actually a good promo on quick. That is why I find quick/small map more enjoyable because theres less room for error and results in quicker games so you can play a more variety of games over the same number of hours.

I prefer Epic... I play on huge maps on Immortal... I find the slower speed lets me enjoy the classical period and middle ages more than on standard - when games always seemed to be in the Rennaisance bas soon as I head swordsmen.

I don't use epic nor marathon that often, no. Either standard or quick. .. i could change that option though.

Top Bottom