New scenario map

I've been thinking about a starting a game with NO resources that are available from discovery.

What I mean is, "you've discovered copper, iron, etc in your mine.

A resource of rice, wheat, corn etc has been discovered in your farm.

A source of dye, sugar, spices etc has begun to be harvested in your jungle camp.

Certain resources aren't discoverable, such as horses, Ivory, sea based resources etc.

What file would I edit to remove starting resources of discoverable ones, or would I have to start a game, edit the world map, and start, which defeats the purpose.

Maybe set up a scenario with this set up???

Interesting concept!
Though I've never had a farm "discover" a resource. Ever.

Guess you would have to worldbuilder the resources out of the map.
Suggestion if you don't want to spoil yourself and reveal the map when you open worldbuilder:
-start the game
-zoom in at maximum
-cover the right lower corner of the screen (where the minimap is) with some object
-open WB
-save the map as a scenario (worldbuildersave file type)
-close WB and the game
-open the saved map with a text editor
-search for BonusType=BONUS_ these are all the resources on the map.
-delete the ones you don't want.
-save
-play

You might also want to check, at the beginning of the file, if it considers that you have contact with anybody else (this happens with "start as minors", as to put you at war with everybody, it automatically creates contact and declares war).

Interesting concept!
Though I've never had a farm "discover" a resource. Ever.

I've had Potatoes and Rice be discovered some times, though I did go through an entire 1200-turn game recently without "popping" a single farm resource ;)
I got Salt and two Copper as well as a Dye, but no farm resources. It's happened before, just not in this game :lol:

Guess you would have to worldbuilder the resources out of the map.
Suggestion if you don't want to spoil yourself and reveal the map when you open worldbuilder:
-start the game
-zoom in at maximum
-cover the right lower corner of the screen (where the minimap is) with some object
-open WB
-save the map as a scenario (worldbuildersave file type)
-close WB and the game
-open the saved map with a text editor
-search for BonusType=BONUS_ these are all the resources on the map.
-delete the ones you don't want.
-save
-play

You might also want to check, at the beginning of the file, if it considers that you have contact with anybody else (this happens with "start as minors", as to put you at war with everybody, it automatically creates contact and declares war).

Mm so can you do this same process to convert a scenario saved for some other mod to be used in AND? There was an awesome geographic map in a historic-focused mod that I'd have loved to play in AND. I don't think it was Ryse, it was... Ancient Mediterranean? Can't remember at this point heh, but the presence of (many) resources that don't exist in AND and being saved for another mod would cause problems right? You'd just go into Notepad++ and edit out resources/tiles and change the Mod name?

I doubt it would give you fish/clam/shrimp. Even if it does, it it's only in the end of the game.

Well you never specified :p

I unno really. I don't have anything against the concept but... How would you go about doing that? Just turn Fishing Nets into something that can be placed anywhere? Would they affect the yields on the tile any?

History Rewritten IIRC had a pasture-like improvement that could be placed on flat tiles that could sometimes spawn Horses, not sure if they had anything for water though.

Mm so can you do this same process to convert a scenario saved for some other mod to be used in AND? There was an awesome geographic map in a historic-focused mod that I'd have loved to play in AND. I don't think it was Ryse, it was... Ancient Mediterranean? Can't remember at this point heh, but the presence of (many) resources that don't exist in AND and being saved for another mod would cause problems right? You'd just go into Notepad++ and edit out resources/tiles and change the Mod name?

Yes, you open that file, and delete everything not compatible. The first part of the file is all the info about the game settings, including what mod to use (if any). To remove the resources you need to delete each and every one of them in the "map" section. But hey, that's what the Search and Edit functions are for! :)
Tinkering with the worldbuildersave is basically like tinkering in the worldbuilder itself. In fact you can change a lot more stuff than in the worldbuilder! Including starting gameoptions, the game calendar, the starting turn... the possibilities are endless.

Of course to actually see the map, you need to load and start a game with it.
I never understood why WB was not made as a standalone program.

Note: the worldbuilder saves are in a folder in the same folder that contains the normal gameplay saves, wherever that is on your system.

Yes, you open that file, and delete everything not compatible. The first part of the file is all the info about the game settings, including what mod to use (if any). To remove the resources you need to delete each and every one of them in the "map" section. But hey, that's what the Search and Edit functions are for! :)
Tinkering with the worldbuildersave is basically like tinkering in the worldbuilder itself. In fact you can change a lot more stuff than in the worldbuilder! Including starting gameoptions, the game calendar, the starting turn... the possibilities are endless.

Of course to actually see the map, you need to load and start a game with it.
I never understood why WB was not made as a standalone program.

Note: the worldbuilder saves are in a folder in the same folder that contains the normal gameplay saves, wherever that is on your system.

I've tinkered with World Builder files before in Notepad++, but it was mostly changing game options and stuff. I haven't tried converting things just yet, so this would be a first heh. Most of the maps I have saved are for base-BTS so there's not much to "remove", but there's a few maps I liked for TAM, RI, and so on that would need some adjusting... But I also have a few (Non-mod) maps for Warlords and one for Vanilla... Not sure if that requires some additional tweaks or what. I'm very new to all this x)

*edit Well I did something wrong apparnetly. Says it failed to load the worldbuilder file xD
*edit2 Removed the Modpath line and it stopped showing that error x) Like I said - new to this ^^

I unno really. I don't have anything against the concept but... How would you go about doing that? Just turn Fishing Nets into something that can be placed anywhere? Would they affect the yields on the tile any?

History Rewritten IIRC had a pasture-like improvement that could be placed on flat tiles that could sometimes spawn Horses, not sure if they had anything for water though.

I wonder if it is possible to make worked water tiles have a chance to discover seafood...
Okay, 45° said everything is possible, soooo...
I wonder if it would worth to make worked water tiles have a chance to discover seafood :)

On the topic of scenario-making, there was an article about where resources spawned naturally in base BTS (I.e. some resources will NEVER show up adjacent to a river, or will only show up in X terrain if it's a hill, but will be more widespread elsewhere, can show up in Tundra but not Jungles unless on a Hill, etc) that helped with hand-placing resources while making it look 'natural'...

Is there anything like this for AND's resources? I understand that things like Rubber will pretty much only ever show up in Jungles, but is there a latitude limitation on them? Cotton can show up anywhere? Some resources cluster together more frequently than others? I notice Cotton and Hemp and Tobacco clustering in large groups quite often...

I was going through some scenario maps for BTS and adding in AND resources by hand and that crossed my mind... Not knowing if I was "doing it right" or not xD

Top Bottom