Faerun

Did you put Imoen in that mod? Almost all are there, Minsc, Jaheira, Viconia, Edwin, exetera but I didnt saw Imoen!

I'm planning a fairly radical update, now that Sergeus has been generous enough to make his DLL available for the most recent game build. I haven't decided yet how radical the change will be, but I think I'm going to jettison the tech tree, as technology just seems so... foreign in a fantasy world.

But I like a challenge! :)
Sounds good! For my part, fancy animations aren't necessary, but I say have fun doing things you enjoy!

Mhm... How would you provide progression when there is no tech tree?
Every unit available from start?

I'm planning a fairly radical update, now that Sergeus has been generous enough to make his DLL available for the most recent game build. I haven't decided yet how radical the change will be, but I think I'm going to jettison the tech tree, as technology just seems so... foreign in a fantasy world.

Sounds good! For my part, fancy animations aren't necessary, but I say have fun doing things you enjoy!

Radical away, however no tech tree sounds bad. IMHO, sure 'universities researching nuclear fusion' is off, but how about wizards in dungeons pottering around and mixing flasks. I do get where you are coming from, but I believe that the types of research are the key.

Things to perhaps consider:

In a fantasy setting, having a large empire with all cities researching seem off (ie more cities more research). To me a research rate for a small civ or large civ should be all but the same, with racial differences playing a much bigger part (or even better, specific techs rates for specific techs ie dragon race good at fire research).

Along these same line, amount of units, build rates, maintenance etc could also racial dependant.
Ie

1. humans fairly abundant, fairly cheap average strength,

2. undead generally very abundant, very weak, with some very expensive top tier guys

3. Dragon- slow build, expensive, but very powerful.

I have found that the best fantasy settings have 'civs' that are much more unique then basic civ 5 civs (they are all human after all). I say, as divergent as possible, and worry about balance later.

Just some thoughts, no idea how to implement lol.

Cheers

Edit: Just a quick question, what do I need to change in order to 'fix' the dragon attack scale (as you did in version 11, I used my existing FS unit artstyles.sql as I had made many scale changes to units)?

Edit 2: From a balance point of view, I think that hero units are way too powerful. In my current game, having a high level witch king, and the unique cleric I find that I can just mow through whole armies of ai troops. While the hero's are too powerful per se, its even more pronounced because of the poor ai, who historically (civ 4 ffh2 etc) are always poor at looking after/ levelling hero's. Is there a way to give ai hero's the ability once killed to re-spawn back at their home base-and be held for 10 turns, then re-released? This might allow the ai hero a chance to become the powerhouse that a humans hero typically is.

Hi Framed Architect. A few things i noted as i recently tested v11
  • Mounts don't seem to appear, at least not on the small Faerun map (without underdark) making Dambrath the only civ that can actually use advanced mounted units.
  • Dwarf units seem overpowered compared to other units. It's especially visible on mounted units. Griffins have more strength than Fiends while those are time limited! In addition they are faster and fly over mountains.
  • Several AIs lost their capital to barbarians very early in the game.
  • The "monster spotted" quests are a bit extreme. Dragons would need more than T1 units to be killed.
  • Druidic Lore seems very strong. Free science. Free units (bought with faith rather than built). Forests are already good tiles with the building that gives you gold for every worked forest tile, no need to turn them into god-tiles.
Great mod :goodjob:

Hi, I really love this mod but I would like to play it with friends. Is there anyway to play this online but not hotseat?

I enjoyed version .09 of this mod a lot and I just started trying version .11. I liked to play the old version on high difficulty level on marathon mode. I noticed that in turns after 1000 everytime, all the AI sides go bankrupt, some by as much as -500 per turn. To correct this, I changed the workers to no maintenance, and this seemed to help balance it out a bit. I'm only to turn 500 or so on version .11 so I will see if your changes help the AI out any.

I'm planning a large update for v.12, and as in former versions I will be making several major gameplay changes in addition to edits and fixes.

1. Health replaces Science
    Integrate Health and Plague mod into Faerun, which will add a new yield to manage on both the global and local level.
  2. Building Upgrade System
    On finishing a building you'll unlock options to upgrade it. Upgrades will generally be better versions of their lower tier, and at the highest tier will be World Wonders. There will be many more types of buildings at higher tiers, which will allow more specialized cities as you progress. The former Tech tree will be broken down into 5 new tabs (The Celestial, Commerce, Production, Diplomacy, Warfare) to better display the building upgrade paths.
  3. New Terrains and Resources
    Some resources will be consumable by units or cities, and some will only appear on certain continent types. New buildings will be able to harness and produce resources. I'm going to try for a darker overall feel for terrains and improvements.
  4. Reworked Traits
    About half of the Civs will get new traits to better take advantage of Faerun mechanics.
  5. Purchase Beliefs with Divine Favor (Faith)
  6. Victories
    A few civs will have Unique Victory conditions. New Global Victories: Good, Neutral, Evil.

I'm aiming for a Beta release by late April, and final release sometime in May.

I'm planning a large update for v.12, and as in former versions I will be making several major gameplay changes in addition to edits and fixes.

1. Health replaces Science
    Integrate Health and Plague mod into Faerun, which will add a new yield to manage on both the global and local level.
  2. Building Upgrade System
    On finishing a building you'll unlock options to upgrade it. Upgrades will generally be better versions of their lower tier, and at the highest tier will be World Wonders. There will be many more types of buildings at higher tiers, which will allow more specialized cities as you progress. The former Tech tree will be broken down into 5 new tabs (The Celestial, Commerce, Production, Diplomacy, Warfare) to better display the building upgrade paths.
  3. New Terrains and Resources
    Some resources will be consumable by units or cities, and some will only appear on certain continent types. New buildings will be able to harness and produce resources. I'm going to try for a darker overall feel for terrains and improvements.
  4. Reworked Traits
    About half of the Civs will get new traits to better take advantage of Faerun mechanics.
  5. Purchase Beliefs with Divine Favor (Faith)
    Spoiler New Beliefs Panel :
  6. Victories
    A few civs will have Unique Victory conditions. New Global Victories: Good, Neutral, Evil.

I'm aiming for a Beta release by late April, and final release sometime in May.

I appreciate the tremendous amount of work put forth for this mod! I hope to be contributing more 3D models in the near future.

If I may provide some constructive criticism, is there any way to make the Spellplague victory optional? I really, really, REALLY hate it. Maybe you have already done this and I am just an idiot for not knowing, but it absolutely ruins the enjoyment of the game for me every time I play it - particularly when I am playing on the huge map and never have enough turns to reach the bozo who cast it (which is usually Horustep when I play). It would be nice to disable it so that civs could focus on other victory styles. I usually haven't even discovered half of the map when the spell has been cast and am just getting into the groove of things, when all of a sudden...aw, sh*t - Spellplague.

Also...siege units??? Haven't seen any in the game, and capturing hardened cities is nearly impossible. Again, maybe I just don't understand the game mechanics thoroughly.

Criticism aside, this is the best fantasy mod for CiV to date - keep up the great work!!!

I appreciate the tremendous amount of work put forth for this mod! I hope to be contributing more 3D models in the near future.

If I may provide some constructive criticism, is there any way to make the Spellplague victory optional? I really, really, REALLY hate it. Maybe you have already done this and I am just an idiot for not knowing, but it absolutely ruins the enjoyment of the game for me every time I play it - particularly when I am playing on the huge map and never have enough turns to reach the bozo who cast it (which is usually Horustep when I play). It would be nice to disable it so that civs could focus on other victory styles. I usually haven't even discovered half of the map when the spell has been cast and am just getting into the groove of things, when all of a sudden...aw, sh*t - Spellplague.

Also...siege units??? Haven't seen any in the game, and capturing hardened cities is nearly impossible. Again, maybe I just don't understand the game mechanics thoroughly.

Criticism aside, this is the best fantasy mod for CiV to date - keep up the great work!!!

As I play a VERY long game, and have to alter many bits so that it balances, you could just make the spell plague requirement longer. In my own game you have to run it for 500 turns, not 50 which always means there is time to bring the culprit down.

Ok, played a game and noticed a few bugs. Also a few things I thought would go well with this. You've done great work since the last time I've played btw! Really impressive!

----------------------------------Bugs:------------------------------------------------------------
*Dragons(possibly all flying units) gain an additional movement point when they move over water

*Cause fear(whatever its called) seems to toggle. Once its cast, any enemies entering the area receive the debuff

*Dire Wolves ignore movement costs(not listed in abilities)

*Chain lightning sometimes seems to strike twice on the same enemy(it hits an enemy at 100HP, does 47, but kills them.)

-----------------------------------Suggestions------------------------------------------------------
*Make certain spells learn-able through promotions, expand on spells integrated(summon animals and demons through conjuration, higher level undead spells using necromancy)

*Use Player handbook feats such as:
-Power Attack: Attack Bonus adjusted by 5-25%(in increments of 5), while defense is lowered by the same for one round
-Power Shot: Same as Power Attack
-Rapid Shot: +1 attack per round
-Cleave: Killing an enemy grants a second attack(and one MP if needed)
-Toughness: +5HP, can be taken multiple times

*Customized Barbarian lairs, that each spawn different enemies, like cemeteries and undead, evil temples and their cult, etc

*Loot in treasure chests to replace the ancient ruins, like gold, unique equipment for units and heroes(giving a promotion), and staves(giving a separate use of certain spells with a separate cooldown)

*Item crafting promotions! Maybe even weapons that do extra elemental damage, and possibly scrolls with one use spells

Edit: Also, where did you get the leader art? It looks like Poser models, but I wasn't sure.

As far as I understand the spell system, the lack of siege units is a resultbof FA's use of UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE for wizards.
They need to prepare every spell, using the siege preparation mission/UI.

As far as I understand the spell system, the lack of siege units is a resultbof FA's use of UNITCOMBAT_SIEGE for wizards.

Exactly, so when Spellplague is cast - adios wizards. Now there are no siege capabilities to take out the jerk that cast it. It would be useful to have at least some traditional siege units in the game. In one instance I had an Ogre (or Ogrillon, whichever gets the city attack bonus), all three heroes with city attack promotions, and a slew of advanced units trying to take a city and cumulatively doing only about 30 damage per turn. Every turn the city healed 25, so it was virtually impossible to take the city.

Did you put Imoen in that mod?
I don't think so...

Mhm... How would you provide progression when there is no tech tree? Every unit available from start?
By completing buildings (opens new building options), and increasing Faith and Culture (opens new policies).

I have found that the best fantasy settings have 'civs' that are much more unique then basic civ 5 civs (they are all human after all).
what do I need to change in order to 'fix' the dragon attack scale?
I think that hero units are way too powerful
  1. I will put a little effort this time round into Civ Traits.
  2. Change UnitMemberType to ART_DEF_UNIT_MEMBER_CATAPULT.
  3. Agree. My fix this go round will be to either spread combat bonuses over 6 levels or remove the hero end combat XP bonus.
Hi Framed Architect. A few things i noted as i recently tested v11
Thanks for the list!
Is there anyway to play this online but not hotseat?
No idea... I've never played MP myself, so that question will have to be directed to somebody with expertise in that area.
Ok, played a game and noticed a few bugs. Also a few things I thought would go well with this.
Loot in treasure chests..
Also, where did you get the leader art? It looks like Poser models, but I wasn't sure.
  1. Thanks for the reports (though Terror is working as expected).
  2. I have considered adding hero consumables (easy) and items (harder), but it won't happen for this update as it will require a lot more code and UI work.
  3. c_note_1001 made all the leader art. I don't know how he did that, though he had originally said he would make animated leaderheads so he may well have begun with 3d puppet models.

and a shaman for orcs !!!! :clap:
Yes, I will be adding abilities and spells for a few of the higher level (**) racial upgrade units.
It's not a technical problem (access to DLL since v.9), and there were trebuchets in the mod for a long time. But since the number of cities is generally low, I think taking cities should be difficult and provide a sense of real accomplishment.

Every turn the city healed 25, so it was virtually impossible to take the city.
Gnome upgrades can really help. You can also turn off Spellplague in the advanced setup screen.
Looking forward to new unit art, which would help flesh out a large scenario I'm planning after v.12 is complete (tentatively titled "Faerun: Sword Coast").

EDIT: Regarding city siege, I'll be adding a new spell that can damage cities. Code for this effect is already in place, I just never added a spell to take advantage of this.

Gnome upgrades can really help. You can also turn off Spellplague in the advanced setup screen.
Looking forward to new unit art, which would help flesh out a large scenario I'm planning after v.12 is complete (tentatively titled "Faerun: Sword Coast").

EDIT: Regarding city siege, I'll be adding a new spell that can damage cities. Code for this effect is already in place, I just never added a spell to take advantage of this.

Awesome! Like I said, probably my unfamiliarization with the game mechanics but frustrating nonetheless when 300 turns into a game. I look forward to disabling Spellplague next time around :)

Please let me know if you have any particular unit requests. You mentioned Beholder and Mind Flayer before and I will definitely try to find a way to develop these but they are extremely specialized. In the interim, if there is anything that would not necessarily require custom animations I can definitely make these happen.

Top Bottom