SGOTM 23 - Unallocated

I can take the save next when I get home. Is all the defense on Jerusalem cultural, or are there walls too?

Jerusalem has Walls, Castle and Citadel. It appears that having both a Castle and Citadel makes the Walls/Castle/Citadel defense not bombardable by Catapult or Trebuchet. Cannon should be able to bombard, since it bombards the cultural defense.

In my opinion, we should move the Catapults and Horse Archers to attack Thebes. Leave Jerusalem and Mecca to Musketeer attacks. We should complete Barracks in the next 2t and whip as many Musketeers as possible in all cities larger than 4P. Finish off Saladin and make Hatshepsut our vassal; she has Feudalism now, we can vassal her now without having Feudalism ourselves.

If I remember correctly, walls+castle+citadel are a static increase to defense which gets bypassed by gunpowder units. Can barb cities even get culture? I agree that we might as well put Jerusalem on hold until muskets.

Current plan is to start an invasion of Hatty ASAP.

I don't think we'll be able to steal any techs any time soon. I think the best plan would be to create a trojan city close to us to gift to her before we start beating her to submission and ideally take some techs for peace. She's willing to take Lyons right now, but we might be able to fit a junk city closer to her somewhere that isn't going to potentially be a bother to us.

We'll want pretty much all of her cities as they're too good to waste on AI. We can move our Spy to scout or start moving him to where Hatty's last city will end up being.

Switching Cologne to Galley production, and making a road to Greece south of the Alps so we can attack turn one or two after declaring war. She has both Feudalism and Engineering soon, so it can get hairy if we let her whip.

Trading techs to AI's for all their available gold, particularly Churchill who will give 110 for theology.

I like the idea of sending the HAs and catapults against Hatty rather than Jerusalem; we can deal with it later using musketeers since gunpowder units only face the culture defense and not the wall/castle effects.

Theology...one thing to watch out for is an AI building the Apostolic Palace. Once it exists we may have problems with forced peace, or penalties for defying resolutions. So keeping the tech to unlock the AP out of the AIs' hands where we can might be a good idea, just to delay having to deal with it. If we are very fortunate it will get built somewhere we can conquer/raze. :evil:

Good luck, ikotomi!

I think we can control AP effects. Churchill isn't a wonder builder, and we should invade him soon anyways for the off continent trade route possibilities.

Let us hope that the AP does not become a problem. It can be a big hassle to deal with when you want to conquer most of the world. We could make a push to build it ourselves, if we really want to avoid it being built far away (by Gandhi, for instance). Not sure it is worth that amount of effort, though, as it is a lot of hammers.

Are we fine gifting her Lyons before declaring war? Otherwise, we can just let her keep her southern most city, and set up our spy there.

Ideally for tech stealing we want a city 3 plots from our capital. The NW/N City site would be ideal for this. We could whip a Settler in Copper City, settle and gift it right before we DoW Hatshepsut. Since Hatshepsut has just three cities now, she will accept a gift city anywhere on the map.

We also want the holy city of our state religion for the extra -25% espionage discount. This requires a Missionary of our state religion for the gift city too. The state Religion can be either Christianity, giving us an extra -15% state religion espionage discount or Islam (we would need to switch Hatshepsut to another religion to get this discount though). Holy City choices are Jerusalem or Mecca, which our Musketeers can easily capture without seige or spy units.

The gift city being close to our capital or our other high culture cities means we will also get a high City Culture espionage discount of up to -50%. We can even do some Culture Injections missions in this gift city to improve this discount. We actually need city culture in the gift city to get the discount; either natural cukture before the gift or spy injected culture after the gift.

She's only taking Lyons when I check the trade screen.

That does not seem right; I have never seen that before (AIs with less than four cities have always been willing to accept a city gift anywhere on the map).. Maybe the map designer is using some unknown condition to reduce the cities Hatshepsut is willing to accept as gifts.

Created a test map to figure things out. It looks like if they have 3 cities or less, they will take a city anywhere.

At 4 cities, they will take a city that is 9.5 squares or less from their capitol if that city has culture. They will take a city that is 50.5 squares or less if it has zero culture. So the reason she was only taking Lyons was because of culture.

I'll whip a settler from Double Fish city and gift NW right before we declare.

Played two turns and got gunpowder, switching cities to build muskets. What should our tech be? I just realized we're tech blocked by machinery and engineering.

I'm kind of thinking we go down the aesthetics line, since we'll need to get philosophy for lib, and try to get machinery/engineering out of Hatty for peace and espionage. Now might also be a good time to go for Music to get the free artist.

We can either accumulate gold or run espionage versus Hatshepsut for future tech steals.

I don't think so. Espionage slider makes sense if we don't think we can run the science slider on something better.

Top Bottom