How do I find a certain city?

Scuda

Chieftain
I love Civ IV and have been playing it since it came out. I have several questions about the game but I'll start with the one that's been bugging me the most. Is there a quick way of finding a certain city in CivIV? Such as, the game is nice enough to tell you when an enemy is near one of your cities. Well, if you have 20 - 30 cities spread out over the world, it can somtime be very tough finding that particular city. Any help would be greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Scuda said:
I love Civ IV and have been playing it since it came out. I have several questions about the game but I'll start with the one that's been bugging me the most. Is there a quick way of finding a certain city in CivIV? Such as, the game is nice enough to tell you when an enemy is near one of your cities. Well, if you have 20 - 30 cities spread out over the world, it can somtime be very tough finding that particular city. Any help would be greatly be appreciated. Thanks

Unfortunately, they didn't give us a find city function like we had in the previous Civ's. Apparently, they didn't have processor time left over to perform a simple search on a list of less than 50 items.

What you can do instead is bring up the domestic advisor (f1), sort it alphabetically by name, click on the city you want, close the advisor, hit "c" to center on the selected city, then "insert" to zoom to the nearest city's detail.

You'll also notice that when you click on a city in the domestic advisor, its location will blink on the mini-map. Furthermore, you can change production from the bottom of the screen as if you were in the zoomed-in view.

There is also a mod posted in the modifications forum that adds a "View" button to the domestic advisor to jump you straight to the selected city.

There is no find city function, however, the event log is click-able; clicking on the city name will center it on your screen!

-greg frohring

That's why I prefer to rename my cities to something memorable - usually the reason why I built the city..

e.g. Horseytown, Stoneville, BlockCath etc.

If you're worried about enemies near a city you can try going into the military advisor, you can use the larger minimap in that screen to highlight enemy units in your own territory to easily find where they are.

The event log is the quickest and easiest way (not sure if that's in the base game, though, as I only use BUFFY/BAT/Whatever).

That's why I prefer to rename my cities to something memorable - usually the reason why I built the city..

e.g. Horseytown, Stoneville, BlockCath etc.

I do the same thing, but I try to amuse myself with the names: One Horse Town (never had a Two Horse Town), Fort Knox (multiple golds), Castle Black (Tundra/Ice), etc... Is there already a thread with creative city names?

Unfortunately, they didn't give us a find city function like we had in the previous Civ's. Apparently, they didn't have processor time left over to perform a simple search on a list of less than 50 items.

What you can do instead is bring up the domestic advisor (f1), sort it alphabetically by name, click on the city you want, close the advisor, hit "c" to center on the selected city, then "insert" to zoom to the nearest city's detail.

You'll also notice that when you click on a city in the domestic advisor, its location will blink on the mini-map. Furthermore, you can change production from the bottom of the screen as if you were in the zoomed-in view.

There is also a mod posted in the modifications forum that adds a "View" button to the domestic advisor to jump you straight to the selected city.
That does not work for me

One alternative I’ve gotten in the habit of doing is adding some kind of directional to my cities’ names in parentheses. Like: “Beijing (NE)” for northeast or “Nanjing (ME)” for middle east. Obviously after enough cities it’s gets tougher since several could qualify so adding another letter can usually do the job (SE, SSE, SSS). Maybe kinda weird, but I’ve found it pretty helpful and not too odd looking.

Top Bottom