Buying Civ IV on Steam

jimcz

Chieftain
I'm thinking about buying this game (complete edition) on steam. There is 50% discount now. I don't have any previous experience with steam and I'd like to ask you if the game will be patched to the newest version? And will I be able to use all the mods and extras available on this website with steam version of the game?

Thanks..

Yes it will be patched to the latest version and Yes all the mods will work. At least on the Windows version. Note that if you wait theres a big chance it will be on featured on the Flash sales with a 75% discount during the summer sales.

Thanks for your quick response. What do you mean by "flash sales"? Is it something that will be available on Steam or is it a different website?

If you go to the frontpage of the Steam store and scroll down below the Daily Deals you'll find Flash Sales.

Flash sales are updated every 12 hours (compared to the 24h for Daily Deals) and the prices are often lower than the regular sale and daily deals.

So if you're willing to wait then you might save a few extra bucks.

The Complete Edition is the only way to go. Even at $15, it's worth it - just look at the forum activity for a 10 year-old game. Beyond the Sword is the expansion 90+% of people play as it has the best mechanics and support. Don't bother starting out playing the base game - jump right into BtS.

The Complete Edition is the only way to go. Even at $15, it's worth it - just look at the forum activity for a 10 year-old game. Beyond the Sword is the expansion 90+% of people play as it has the best mechanics and support. Don't bother starting out playing the base game - jump right into BtS.

Or one could enjoy and get to know the game, as it was originally released, by playing Civ IV (vanilla) for a while, then go to Warlords, and then BtS, and then with BUG/BUFFY for a well rounded experience that develops an appreciation for what's next.

Some enjoy the journey as much as the destination; sometimes the destination is better because of the journey to get there.

Or one could enjoy and get to know the game, as it was originally released, by playing Civ IV (vanilla) for a while, then go to Warlords, and then BtS, and then with BUG/BUFFY for a well rounded experience that develops an appreciation for what's next.

Some enjoy the journey as much as the destination; sometimes the destination is better because of the journey to get there.

Why learn to play a game the wrong way? I was "forced" to as I bought each expansion as it came out, but in retrospect I wish it had been BtS the whole way. There is no reason to subject yourself to an inferior version when a superior one is available. It would be like watching Six Samurai or Jerry, Elaine, and George, but no Kramer. Maybe decent/good, but clearly inferior.

15$ on steam? On Amazon, you can get CIV with all Add-Ons for 5€, and then you even have the original disks.

Yeah, really. I picked it up in the special bin at the store for like 3.99 US.
Nice having the disks. Especially if you MP.

Try playing MP if you only purchased one copy on steam and put it on two machines.
Try the same thing if you have the disks.
Quite different then a matter of personal preference.

Try playing MP if you only purchased one copy on steam and put it on two machines.
Try the same thing if you have the disks.
Quite different then a matter of personal preference.

This is completely irrelevant.

1. I would never ever want to play Civ4 multiplayer against someone who doesn't even own the game anyway.
2. Read the license-agreement. Do you have a right to play the game on two computers at the same time? Might as well get a copy from the pirate bay if you don't care.
3. If you don't care than at least PBEM would work if you put Steam in offline mode.
4. Doesn't the regular Internet game thingy use Steam anyways now? I've never really been interested in regular lobby-games.

And of course, I could easily counter. What if you want to play the game on your laptop, and the laptop is a Mac running OS X?

I've bought 3 copies over the years so I really have no moral problems with having it on two machines and using it. And have never pirated any game.

I play direct IP or lan connect games with family members, so have never been in the lobby either.

Never played a PBEM game and not likely to ever do it. No simul play takes the fun out of it.

And most importantly, steam sucks ;)

How does it work with patches if I buy the physical copy of the game on Amazon? Are they officially available somewhere? Or again, is it possible to register it on steam and download from there?

Patches for the physical version are available on CivFanatics. You can't register it on Steam.

Top Bottom