Speed settings questions

gberetfr

Rastaman
Although I perfectly understand why people are playing at epic or marathon speed, I mostly play at Quick speed. And that due to lack of time. Even at that speed Civ killed a lot of my free time (if not all since BNW release !).

But I wonder at epic/marathon how things go ? Meaning (as far as I understand the speed mechanics) mostly production / science go slower (ok pop and gold also) so that you have more time to use and move your units around. So either :

- You're playing a warmonger and this intensifies let's say the tactical part of the gameplay
- You're playing a peacefull game and this just slows down the game but without that much "improvement" to the gameplay and it's a little a waste of time.

This how I see it, I ask the question, so tell me if I'm wrong.

Of course warmonger/peacefull is not that much a clear cut as you can have both periods in a game. But bottom line is I see a real interest in slowing the pace down if you're much more inclined toward war, and the 2nd question is :

That being said you have more time to wage (and so to win !) your wars, and you reinforce your advantage over the AI (war is where it sucks most) so :

- Does it make the game a little "easier" ?
- Do you win the game ealier (vs faster game speed) ? (i.e. industrial over modern...) And I mean especially for Domination Victory, because yes for other VC it shall not change.

*It makes the barbarian whackamole minigame more meaningful and a camp don't spawn 3-4 extra barbs while you're trying to kill it with a warrior.

* Exploration is more meaningful. When you have the second settler, you'l have more possible locations, more chance to have found a natural wonder, etc.

*Early wars have more meaning and even as mostly a builder, I enjoy acualy having to take pictish warriors and the like into account.

*It's totally worth it to explore with a tireme and other early naval UU actually makes sense, as you may need to battle barbarian tireme fleets in eary naval wars.

*The effects of things like the reduced time for workers to build improvements with the pyramids become very noticable, So does saving turns by buying some building. Having the needed siege weapons 8 turns earlier is worth way more than having them 6 turns earlier on standard.

*You can start building a caravan earlier and still have more possible locations to send it to.

*It makes you really value workers and improvements and put more thought into placement and defence.

Top Bottom