[mod] TOTAL REALISM 2.0

Hello all. Im here to talk about slavery. I like the changes to slavery in this mod a great deal. It is immensely helpful, its good for the economy! But it has its pitfalls. For instance a few turns after building my first crusader the Christian religious capital of my empire, the holy city of Barcelona ;) came under attack by two rebel slaves. They were crusaders, which were the best units i had at that time. The 'true' defenders of the faith triumphed and the slaves were recaptured and put to work building a new christian monastery. They died doing the work of the Lord.

So my point is, its good but im not sure the rebelling slaves should have units as good as yours. How would they equip themselves in such an elite fashion when governments have historically been very skilled at keeping the best armaments for themselves? Still it simulates civil wars so i guess i like it.

I cant wait to see the slaves steal a tank, or a nuke? :lol:

Mexico said:
what do you mean: plays a standard, non-Total Realism game? how you start the game?

and readme.txt ...yes, youa are right..it is my mistake..in new installer i commented out page for showing readme.txt :( - but you still can found this file in mod directory

What I meant is I open the game from desktop icon "Civ IV Total Realism" and it seems to load the game. But the main page looks the same as the out-of-the-box game from Firaxis. Then I click on Single Player game, then Custom Game (adjust settings), and Launch. But it just plays the standard game with no mods.

The other odd thing is that under Advanced, and Load a Mod, it tells me that Total Realism IS loaded. So I'm not sure what's going on. It seems to load but it only plays the standard game.

Finally, there is no readme.txt in the Total Realism mod directory, only TotalRealism-Setup-2.0a.exe and a text file about configuration settings.

Any ideas? I'm hoping this is just a dumb mistake...

@kingcole1031
eh? and how you install this mod? because in Mods\Total Realism MUST be README.txt ..if not, your installation was not succesfull....and this is reason why mod is not working

@Los Tirano
type of unit, which is spawned as rebel is choosen randomly from avalaible units for player - so yes, they can steal tanks in future ..-) hehe..no, unit can be only melee/archer/gun type
hmm..maybe reduce this list (ie diable crusader, mech. infantry -really you want slavery in this era??,...we will be thinking about it)

Here is a pretty simple question. Is this mod compatible with multiplayer? I have a buddy who lives a couple doors down, and we are known for our pure EPIC games that we play, takes weeks to finish! hehe

I can't install it at work to look at any readme files or anything since Civ4 isn't installed to see if its multiplayer compatible or not.

Anyway, can't wait to get home and give this a shot!

ffej said:
Here is a pretty simple question. Is this mod compatible with multiplayer? I have a buddy who lives a couple doors down, and we are known for our pure EPIC games that we play, takes weeks to finish! hehe

I can't install it at work to look at any readme files or anything since Civ4 isn't installed to see if its multiplayer compatible or not.

Anyway, can't wait to get home and give this a shot!
sorry, not compatible for MP yet...

Thanx for the quick reply. I do like the "yet" at the end of it though hehe :)

Serga said:
I have strange bug during play.
Sometimes a city with barrack produce land military unit without expireence.
Any idea why its possible?

nobody faced that problem? its really annoying :(
no ideas?

mgdpublic said:
Can someone please tell me if erasing Custom Assets will delete all my other mods? As much as I'd love to play this, it's not the only thing I want to play. I have things like Enhanced Domestic Advisor that I want for ALL my games.

The problem is that we have already implemented Foreign Advisors etc. If you have something is Custom Assets it gets mixed with our mod. The results can be fatal.

Regards
Houman

Serga said:
nobody faced that problem? its really annoying :(
no ideas?

Plase send us a savegame before it happens. There is always an automatic save that ran 5 turns before. if something weird happens. Just send us your last automatic save.

Houman

I must say, I played this game for the first time today, and it is a materpiece- I think the new units are brilliant. But ive only got 512 mb ram and the earth map takes up to 20 seconds to end the turn... Ive played it on random map but it just doesn't have the same feel to it..

So I was wondering if you could engineer for us some smaller maps that are on the same scale and detail as the earth map, but just including sections of the world like an eastern europe-to-eastern asia map, or a mediterranean and africa map, or western europe and americas map?
Thus allowing your regular johnny slowcomputer to fully apreciate your mod...

Mexico said:
@kingcole1031
eh? and how you install this mod? because in Mods\Total Realism MUST be README.txt ..if not, your installation was not succesfull....and this is reason why mod is not working

@Los Tirano
type of unit, which is spawned as rebel is choosen randomly from avalaible units for player - so yes, they can steal tanks in future ..-) hehe..no, unit can be only melee/archer/gun type
hmm..maybe reduce this list (ie diable crusader, mech. infantry -really you want slavery in this era??,...we will be thinking about it)

Maybe its a good idea, to limit them further not building certain units that have pre req. like Christian Crusaders, UU etc.

Same with Merceneries. I will fix that. UU shall not be contracted out. It is not really realistic.

Houman

A Tip for some with Custom Assets. I keep a base empty Custom Assets file structure, and name it "Custom Assets Standard". Then, when I want to play Total Realism or any other mod my CAs might conflict with, I rename my Custom Assets to "Custom Assets X", and rename the "Custom Assets Standard" to simply "Custom Assets". THis way you can easily switch between the two, don't lose anything, and can play every Mod without conflict issues, so long as you remember to switch them. I suggest making a backup of everything before renaming file structures.

Just a tip I though might be helpful to some.

P.S. the mod is sweet, I've been waiting for this since I discovered that the last version wasn't 1.61 compatible. Its actually managed to take my attention away from Rhye's Catapult.

@Serga - That is something we know about but because of it's complete randomness we have not been able to find out why. It also happens with the experience from the Aggressive trait. I just chalk it up to that unit being not so bright and their training just didn't take, every army needs a Gomer Pile.:)

@Los Tirano - The slavers revolting can be any unit you can make though it usually is the best. The problem with it not being able to be the best is then it is worthless as they would never be a real threat. I like to look at it this way.... the slaves that actually revolt are the biggest and bravest of all the slaves, they have been watching and learning form your Civ's elite units and when the time is right they Steal the necessary equipment and revolt. At least it sound good, eh ;)

@Civtroy - This bug made it out of beta as I was the only one experiencing it as I tend to be a very early warmonger and we didn't have time to trouble shoot it in order to get this released. What we are doing now is kinda like a beta as we can't play every Civ when testing and with cheating some thing don't show up so we need yall to help us find some of these Bugs. Most of the bugs are not game breaking and we knew there would be more to fix so when decided to release and find as many as possible to squash them all at once.

@Walter Hawkwood - We have removed some of the Soldiers from certain buildings that the generic Great General Mod has. You are able to assign soldiers with the Barracks, Castle, Bunker but I am not aware if you can with the drydock or out if that is the case then we will probably remove him from the dry dock. If you want to use up your great people with putting a Military Academy in every city then thats a option for you though most people want a variety of GP so they won't be using soldiers most of the time and will have to use regular citizens.

@kingcole1031 - If you have installed the Mod properly there would be NO doubt that the Mod had loaded as the Main Title in the Main Menu as been changed to have "Total Realism" with "rewrite the history of the world" under the "Total Realism" added to the bottom right of that Title. If you look in "My Documents/My Games/Sid Meyers CIV4/MODs folder there should be a Total Realism one and if you have that then You might want to try to load the Vanilla CIV and then go through the advanced option and load the Mod Manually to see if it works that way.

@zhardan - There is no smaller map though you can use a random map. Part of the Slowness is the amount of Barbs we have at the Very beginning so the slowness to increase per-say as time goes one. As Civ remove those Barb and replace them with their own units the time between turns stays the same for the most part though if the very latest Era it will probably slow down some more. There are some performance issue that we are trying to remedy and I don't know just how much faster it will be with those but we are working toward that for the future.

@mgdpublic - You don't HAVE to Delete your custom assets folder to use this mod. If you have stuff in there that you like to use with other Mod I suggest that you Temporarily rename it to something else when you play this MOD and then rename it back to the original when you want to use those files. This way you can have your Cake and Eat it too and maybe even some PIE!!!! :D -Edited - Vishaing beat me to the posting but ya what ^ he said too.

Houman, I think that you SHOULD be able to contract out your UU that is one reason way I would hire a mercenary to begin with.

Say, I wonder if you guys could configure this mod to use Localized Starting Techs, but only for random maps? Would make random maps a mite more interesting..

Fun mod, been working fine. The barbarians are insane. If they are in a city, it will take almost 2 to1 manpower to take the city. When i founded i was surrounded by 4 barbarian cities, within about 30 turns. Wow, that is tough. Im enjoying the challenge though. i switched out of slavery back to despotism, i kept having too many revolts. Consequently i didnt have the man power to keep sacking barbarians. By the way this a game set on the noble level. Good job Realism team. Thanks for the many hours put into this.

@rockinroger - Thanks, we tried to balance the game at the noble level and to make it so that the AI plays tough. If you think you are man enough to play at a higher level you had better know your stuff. What I found in playing many test games is that the AI is very unpredictable. They WILL act like players do, so like I said before you had better watch your back or you just might find a Friendly Knife in it.

@Psycadelic_Magi - Part of the charm of this Mod is that every CIV starts on a level playing field. You can go in any direction you like with any Civ. We also wouldn't want to add starting techs to the beginning as it would effect the Tech Advancement we have adjusted the numbers of turns per Era and such. Once You start playing this MOD you will find that using starting Techs is a crutch for the WEAK!! :evil: :borg: :joke:

So far I'm liking the new release a lot..

The only thing that bugs me is the slave revolts. Sure, it will make me think twice about flipping the switch to slavery, but sometimes I feel it is a little excessive.

The 'elite' slave attacks were surprising but they do make it interesting. If those slave crusaders had seized the holy city what an epic tale it would have been. An inspiration for all slaves and further revolts. How about we keep it as it is. Because im remembering a little history now. During the period of the crusades the assassins attacked both the crusaders and the domains of other muslims. There was also many civil wars during this time. So if you were playing as Arabia, you founded Islam and then groups of mujahideen rebelled against your rule we may be coming close to real history here...

Please dont knock UU's out as mercenary choices. It would become so bland. I like hiring strange units such as japanese samurai's (ronin?) to fight my wars in the middle east and europe. :lol:

Hope ive been convincing. :king: Later!

Houman said:
Maybe its a good idea, to limit them further not building certain units that have pre req. like Christian Crusaders, UU etc.

Same with Merceneries. I will fix that. UU shall not be contracted out. It is not really realistic.

Houman

Actually, I think it is quite realistic to contract out unique units - think of the mercenary "swiss guards" that guard the vatican. However, I think that if a civ that contracted unique mercenary units were to go to war with the home civ, the units would immediately revert to the civ in question. What would be awesome, would be if Civ A contracted CivB's UU, then attacked CivA. Civ B's UU's under contract would rebel immediately, but remain within the borders of CivA, if they were in a city they would be kicked out, but not out of the borders. This would require that CivA either fight them, or suffer their attack the next turn. If not, at least have the UU's bounced out of the territory and revert to the owner. Come to think of this, it should probably be true of non-unique units, and may be a better solution to the UU issue.

Israfil.

Top Bottom