Votes: 65 72.2%
  • It's ok

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • Meh

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • Not worth it

Votes: 4 4.4%

• Total voters
I want the full future era of call to power, sea colonies and my spaceship! i want the throne room.

However, i don't want gunpowder or electricity from an ancient ruin on turn 3. XD

My vote was "Meh". Civ5, is at best, even with G+K an average "lowball" of a game. Instead of troubling you with the same old crap, i will say this.

Civ 3 is fun, and has a great modern/future era but nothing like call to power.

Civ 5 has a really lame future era. Actually, it doesn't even have one - it broke down the industrial/modern era into several prolonged ages. On one side, this "removes" the future and has a lame duck feel in these eras.

On the other side, the "new industrial" era's have improved the post-medieval era gameplay considerably - you can't just rush stealth bombers with 5 techs and auto-win. Nor can you sand-bag forever because the AI will win culture or diplomacy.

Religion works on a nice system, where you spend faith points for missionaries and inquisitors. Founding religions and enhancing them is also nice, but each "option" can only be picked by one civ, like a card game if you pick a pantheon, that card is removed from the deck and others can not choose it.

espionage we all have different opinions on. You use a menu to place your spy in a city, and it "auto-works" without needing command. One end, you don't have to put a spy on every tile and micromanage them, but on the other end, you have no "fun button" for your spies. just pop them down and forget them until you move them.

Civ 5 is NOT special - it is indeed "dumbed down" on terms of... immersion, warfare, building... but there are major improvements. for example, there is no "auto-win" path. However it is also "smartened up" on terms of exploration and city states.

Diplomacy is best summed up as always enemies - the reason to establish friendship is not for political quagmires like in civ 4, but instead to sign research agreements. instead of trading techs and maps you have to explore your own way around the world and research your own techs. You need research agreements or you lose tech parity and fade to the dark ages. However flaky AI civ's are, you don't have to do as much to make them happy - they will become happy or mad through attrition, so you don't have as much "maintenance" to perform on diplomacy. It isn't as simple as "gift 30 gold" - friends all game.

Not the best, or the worst. Better than it was, especially with g+k. If you like mods a lot, then better to wait until the mod scene picks back up - a lot of small, simple mods but no "overhauls" like fall from heaven or RFC.

If you like age of empires in a turn based format, you will love civ 5. if you want the complexity of civ4, you will be severely disappointed - however if you want "less micro" than civ 4, this might be the game for you.

If you're this unsure I'd just go ahead and buy it and try it. Do yourself a favor, though, and resist the temptation to "try vanilla first" before you buy G&K. G&K is a pretty big improvement, and you're far less likely to enjoy the game if you try the somewhat iffy vanilla game first.

Jesus H. Same old Crap Again Christ.

I've read far to many of these threads. In a forum didicated to a certain thing (in this case a game) more than likely most will probably like "it". Otherwise they wouldn't be here.

Civ V, in my opinion, is a great game. Now that most certainly means nothing. Games are what they are. And the experience is different to individuals. The only way to find out if you like it is to play it. If you ask, you will get different opinions from people who probably don't think like you do, therefore you are getting at worst bad data, at best conflicting data.

I loved Civ IV. Loved it. Now I love Civ V. But that shouldn't make any difference to anyone. It just is.

The game is amazing right now. If you're a fan of Civ or strategy in general you will get your moneys worth out of Gods and Kings. People will debate and complain until the end of time, the only way to know for sure is to try it out yourself.

Spending too much time reading opinions on the internet will make a cure for cancer seem like a bad idea.

Top Bottom