How are the Danes? They a conquest-only civ?

It does sound amazing. Siege units start with 4 move (because they are in the water) can land, set-up, fire, and embark (to have 4 move next turn). I have tried a few games (Deity), but failed to make it work. That script only works to actually capture cities if you have a few units that can start their attack very close to the target. It was disheartening, as it made me feel so incompetent! I may try again on archipelago...

4 movement...I guess that's assuming that you've gotten Astronomy? I know embarked units gain more and more movement as you progress through the game, but I don't remember all the specific points where movement increases.

Movements increase in water maps with water technologies such as astronomy and even steam engine. I really can't believe this civilopedia in the help section. I searched for 'embarked movement' and nothing appeared when the words 'embarked movement' clear appear in the steam engine technology. Why would that end up like that for?

This works. And 2 factions currently paying me gold per turn :D Plus, I pillaged their tiles numberless times.

Real nice, but this is not BE, these are tribes/nations and not factions you are dealing with in CIV V.
Ps. Berserkers Rule!

Real nice, but this is not BE, these are tribes/nations and not factions you are dealing with in CIV V.
Ps. Berserkers Rule!

Hehe, yea, I actually know that. But as you know most of strategy games use "factions" and we, players, using that name for our opponents in games. So, it wasn't intentional but thank you for reminding me of that. :)

And yes, Berserkers are epic!

Denmark is virtually always placed on the bottom tier of any Tier List you can find here, and for good reason: Basically all of their benefits are towards domination, and of the domination-focused civs, every other one does it better:

Zulu get great promotions fast and are cheap to maintain, plus the Impi get two attacks.
Assyria have arguably the best siege unit in the game and multiple ways to make up any science/culture gap left by beelining their needed military strategies.
Huns have the other great siege unit in the game and can actually get it on turn 1 or 2 if they're lucky (from hitting the right ruin), plus the Horse Archer is crazy powerful itself.
Mongolia's UUs are so strong and synergistic that it doesn't matter that their UA is practically useless.
Spain's slot-machine UA can lead to an early win-mode and while their UUs aren't anything to write home about, the Conquistador's settling ability is neat for the play-style.
Aztec's UA + Jaguar can make them an early runaway very easily for just about any victory condition, not just domination.
England's control over the ocean, along with 2 of the best UUs in the game, speak for themselves.

Denmark just can't compete with that. It basically demands an archipelago map, and even there is outshone by both Carthage and Indonesia, neither of which are considered "good" by any means. Carthage and Indonesia both reward early expansion, though, which Denmark doesn't. Carthage isn't really built for domination (more like a weaker, roundabout route towards a science victory) but Indonesia is comparable to Denmark. Both want water-maps. Both rely on spamming UUs that require Iron. The Kris is available earlier than the Berserker and is better on balance, however (though this can definitely be debated.

The thing is, though... Denmark is really, truly fun. Not good, but fun.The invasion strategy is just a joy to pull off. I think of them as basically being like Captain Falcon in Smash Brothers. Is he good? No, of course not, by any tier list. Is it fun to land a falcon punch? Absolutely. So do it!

Well, I just had a really good game as Denmark. Military action was part of my game, but I actually ended up winning a cultural victory.

Early on I got real lucky; I had a unit standing 2 tiles outside Washington, his borders hadn't expanded much yet and I was just keeping an eye on him, and then Shaka took the city. It came around to my turn and the city walls were nonexistent. So I DOWd Shaka and took the city, easy peasy! To my shock, he didn't have any units near enough to re-take the city and I actually got away with keeping it while he continued to fight America. It was great. I literally had one warrior and one archer.

Actually you can pillage every single tile of your enemy cities then ask for peace and demand gold. Haven't tried something like that but if it works, Danes would be one of my favourite factions :D

Better yet capture their capital sue for peace and then ransom their capital back to them. The AI will pay you a tonne of gold for this and they get back a ravaged capital that has lost its National Wonders which essentially puts them out of the game.

Also giving them their capital back wipes the "you captured their original capital" and reduces their dislike of you if you are aiming to avoid too much warmonger hate.

Also giving them their capital back wipes the "you captured their original capital" and reduces their dislike of you if you are aiming to avoid too much warmonger hate.

It only helps with the warmonger hate from them, not with other civs. I would have to be a really charitable mood to sell back a cap!

Does The Great Lighthouse add a move point to embarked units? And vision too I guess? Come to think of it, what about adopting Exploration?

How high can you push that anyway?

Top Bottom