Inflation in Civ5

Brenador

Warlord
Although “inflation” is no longer listed as an expense in your economic overview like it was in Civ4, no doubt you have noticed that a single point of food, gold, or science is worth a lot less late in the game than it was at the dawn of time. Nearly all numerical outputs in Civ5 decline in value over time, as civilizations gain the ability to produce more. Here is a summary of what causes their value to decline:

Science

The cost of technology goes up tremendously in later eras. Some ancient techs cost less than 100:c5science:, and at the end of the game, technology can cost over 10,000:c5science:.

(BNW) Having a larger empire increases technology costs, and your empire usually becomes larger over time.

Gold

Late-game buildings tend to have higher maintenance costs.

Railroads cost twice as much to maintain as regular roads.

Unit maintenance costs go up when you have more units.

The cost of purchasing tiles goes up if you purchase more tiles, and a single tile may be less valuable to you late in the game.

Because advanced units and buildings are more expensive to produce, they also cost more to purchase with gold.

Gold gifts to City-States are less valuable late in the game, and Influence decays more rapidly in the latter parts of the game.

Research Agreements are more expensive in the late game.

Food

It costs more food to grow a city if it has a large population, and cities tend to be bigger late in the game.

Production

Advanced units always cost more to produce.

High-level also cost more, so production experiences inflation in older cities.

Late-game Wonders cost more than ancient Wonders.

Happiness

Although a single point of happiness does the same thing late in the game as it does early on, one unit of happiness tends to be less significant compared to the whole of your happiness later on.

Each Golden Age costs more Golden Age Points than the last.

Great Person Points

Each Great Person is more expensive than the last.

Culture

The cost of Social Policies goes up with each new city or Policy you get.

Every new tile acquired by a City costs more than the last one.

(BNW) A single Culture point has less effect relative to foreign civs’ Tourism value.

Faith[GandK]

The cost of Missionaries, Inquisitors, and religious buildings increases by era.

Each Great Person acquired by Faith costs more than the last.

Holy Warriors cost more Faith if they are more advanced technologically.

Tourism (BNW)

Rival Civilizations have more culture accumulated late in the game, so a single point of Tourism is smaller relative to the amount needed to gain influence over them.

What was listed above was all true in Civ IV as well. (Late game techs cost more; late game buildings cost more; etc.)

What the "inflation" flag was used for was all maintenance costs calculated (unit cost in excess of free ones, military unit cost in excess of free ones, units outside of territory in excess of free ones, civic cost, city maintenance cost [based on number of cities with a surcharge for different landmass than a capital & with BTS corporation but a Court House would half it]) That number would be multiplied for the final given cost.

Also, in Civ V, unit maintenance costs go up with turn number and not just # of units.

Great Person & Religion: Unfortunately even with BNW these are all separate counters. Say you use 1000 faith for a Great Scientist. While the next GS would cost 1500, any other type of Great Person would cost 1000.

I find it reasonable. At the beginning of the game, it may take 10 turns to acquire 20 :c5faith: while in the late game in the same 10 turns you'd acquire 500 :c5faith:

Great Person & Religion: Unfortunately even with BNW these are all separate counters. Say you use 1000 faith for a Great Scientist. While the next GS would cost 1500, any other type of Great Person would cost 1000
You are correct, but there is still inflation.

I find it reasonable. At the beginning of the game, it may take 10 turns to acquire 20 while in the late game in the same 10 turns you'd acquire 500
I agree with you. It is reasonable to have inflation in Civ5.

You are correct, but there is still inflation.

I agree with you. It is reasonable to have inflation in Civ5.

Yes, short off. There should be a hard cap for certain things though. I ruled my empire and worked hard to be able to produce quadrillions of faith (example) I should be allowed to enjoy my labors. I cry when my GSs and GPs reach 10k faith costs. :mischief:

Why should there be a hard cap on it? To make an already easy end game easier?

Why should there be a hard cap on it? To make an already easy end game easier?

I explained it in my post. You will have an easy game if a number of parameters are positives towards you not all end games are easy.

I explained it in my post. You will have an easy game if a number of parameters are positives towards you not all end games are easy.

Most of them are. Especially with an Ancient Start. Since inflation isn't random (there's no Bermuda Triangle event in CivV to destroy your entire navy in one go), and the game does run on an economy of scale, the best way to fight inflation is with more production and more gold.

Cost inflation is there for balance. Otherwise the current system of everyone have at least a hundred influence with city-states becomes a system of everyone potentially having thousands of influence with every city-state.

Most of them are. Especially with an Ancient Start. Since inflation isn't random (there's no Bermuda Triangle event in CivV to destroy your entire navy in one go), and the game does run on an economy of scale, the best way to fight inflation is with more production and more gold.

Cost inflation is there for balance. Otherwise the current system of everyone have at least a hundred influence with city-states becomes a system of everyone potentially having thousands of influence with every city-state.

It is entirely possible to do that in BNW now with city states and you dont need patronage to boot though.

And we are assessing the situation from a different prism.

In Civ IV there are actually two different inflations:
- the actual one, which means things will get more expensive towards the end game
- the simulated monetary inflation, which seemed more like a random punishment for having lots of money at hand

In Civ V only the former is present (at least I haven't noticed the latter!) although building upkeep is back to balance it.

Top Bottom