Iroquois UA borked, weird bug, and a short story

stormtrooper412

Peacemongering Turtlesaur
I've been reading the Iroquois guides all over, but I couldn't find how EXACTLY does their UA work. Do you need to have a trail of unimproved forest tiles between two cities, does it need to be the shortest possible trail, or am I missing something. It certainly took a bit out of my game there.

Anyway, Iroquois, Quick, Deity, Arborea map (basically a Pangaea but with an increased number of forest tiles) yadda yadda

The point is, lots of forests made good hammers but not so good apples. Still, I caught up by the time the first RAs started working and ran away with it soon afterwards. I only needed Stealth to finish the tree :D

Still, 201 turns on Quick is I'd say still a bit slow. And I played really really badly, allowing myself to be forced into Order (I picked up most of Rationalism before Ideologies anyway) due to having practically no culture and always bulbing GWAMs. However, since Dandolo would have bought a diplo win the very next turn, I guess it was fast enough. Everyone else was way behind, even though my science output remained at triple digits at its peak.

Speaking of which, I knew Venice is supposed to be rich, but wow

Attachments

• dandolo.jpg
    dandolo.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 345
its a glitch, check it next turn

Iroquois need forest within their territory to not need a road

The forests have to be inside your culture borders to count as roads. They won't count as railroads.

I never could get the hang of Iroquois forest-roads and end up building roads anyway. What is the rule for transition from forest to road within my cultural borders? For example, if there is a bare hill between two cities, does bare forest -> hill w/ road -> bare forest count as three roads in a row, or do I need road on all three tiles?

I never could get the hang of Iroquois forest-roads and end up building roads anyway. What is the rule for transition from forest to road within my cultural borders? For example, if there is a bare hill between two cities, does bare forest -> hill w/ road -> bare forest count as three roads in a row, or do I need road on all three tiles?

Nope that will work

Entering forests and jungles within your territory counts as roads (and bridges even without researching Engineering). Exiting, however, takes the unit's full movement point for entering that terrain, even if it has a road. The only way to ensure road movement when exiting forest/jungle tiles is to have a road on said forest/jungle tile as well.

Well, at least you still got the 'awesome' unit moment is faster with jungle/forest tiles in your own territory lol. Easily makes Iroquois OP.

Just kidding, you can consider that they're the only Civ without a UA. ;)

I disagree. Unit movement can actually be significant with regards to their workers early on: they can work on tiles at least one turn faster, thus also getting better tiles faster. Also, having no need for roads early means they can also save up on road maintenance for city connections, which means more gold for them. Finally, caravans can reach longer distances than most civs except Arabia early on, allowing them to get more lucrative trading opportunities.

It's not a powerful UA, but to say they don't have a UA is false. They're reliant on forests, but at least they can still settle somewhere with forests if they didn't start with it, unlike Byzantium whose UA is totally nullified if 7 other civs get their religion first.

The forests have to be inside your culture borders to count as roads. They won't count as railroads.

Forest don't give railroad movement, but they create reilroad connection between cities. (Which is very strong, keeping in mind high maintance of railroads).

Iroquois in my experience may be very fun on large Immortal maps if you got plenty forest tiles.
I played wide, but open tradition to let borders flip faster. Lack of production from chopping pays later, because you don't need that many workers (less roads and less chopping) and don't pay for road maintanence (or pay less).
UU in own forests - unbeatable til end of Renesains and are very useful even in industrial, so you don't bother with defence that much and sell iron for gold
UB makes very good tiles from forest trading posts and forest camps. In wide empire that means you have both production and gold.
It lacks growth, but in wide empire happiness is very limited anyway

Top Bottom