[TOT] The Test Of Time Patch Project

You agree.
We're all very agreeable today then.

Yes, definitely. Apart from the 16-tile overlays, I've also added an option for a 3-tile overlay (corresponding to the tiles in Terrain1), to prevent rendering glitches related to dithering:
You read my mind. That jungle dithering was the first thing I intended to fix.

Here's another screenshot with 2 different 16-tile forest overlays:
Gah, those very green pines of mine look awful next to those newer forests.

Did I mention I'd release 0.9 today? :p
:goodjob: Right, I've uploaded a new version of the Original Game Graphics Mod that includes the jungle overlay and the old style combat animations. I'll get to some of the other packs later. I noticed that you also fixed the rivers-irrigation overlay issue.

Two issues:
  1. I'm getting a CTD when I start a new game or load one with the 'Extra terrain types' option enabled. I'll attach the crash info for now. Will look into it later - unless you beat me to it.
  2. There is a graphical glitch associated with the active unit indicators, blinking units setting. It appears to be caused by the way the game refreshes tiles; noticeable if you right-click tiles adjacent to the active unit.

Attachments

• ToTPP09_Crash_Info.rar
    743 bytes · Views: 168
As long as the multipliers don't become too high it might possible. Normally, movement allowance from @UNITS is multiplied by just the road multiplier, but with multiple multipliers () we would need to use their least common multiple (lcm), since we cannot use fractions. The lcm has the potential to be large even for small numbers, with multipliers of x3 and x8 the lcm would already be 24, and since the maximum movement allowance is 255, the maximum number of moves in @UNITS would be 10, before overflowing.

If you let Air/Sea units take advantage of the Alpine (all squares as roads) Flag, scenario designers could get around that problem, at least somewhat. It would also allow range 1 air units and sea units, to have a larger range without giving them the ability to pummel nearby targets over and over again.

Speaking of range, what about giving sea units a range in the same way air units have one? Scenario designers could then have fast cargo ships that have to stay on settled trade routes, and slower ships that can travel farther between ports.

Here are some ideas regarding unit support, which might make logistics more interesting (like in WWII, where logistics were very important):
Allow support to be drawn from the shield box.
Allow military units to draw food support, and maybe even trade support.
Allow units to draw support directly from the treasury.
Disband units that get too far from their home city (maybe at start or end of turn).
Allow units to change their home city without visiting that city.
Vary the percentage return of disbanded units.
If a city gets captured, allow the supported units to choose a new home city (or be homed to their nearest city).

I'm not a scenario designer, so don't consider these as "requests."

I agree with Prof. Garfield. I have always thought that logistics in Civ2 have been a bit limited. For example a Phalanx requires the same support, in terms of shields, as an Aircraft Carrier. It would be amazing if shield support costs for units could be set in the rules in a similar way to improvements (cost in gold). For example, early units could require 1 shield while a Nuclear Missile would require 5 shields. This would then be offset by the effects of improvements and government types.

It would be great to have lines of supply that could be cut, but I think that might be too complex for the Civ2 engine to handle. These kind of things can be replicated in scenarios by clever manipulation of the events. For example there could be a steady flow of event generated logistical units (Supply ships/trucks) that need to make their way to the front lines where they convert into units (IE they attack and lose a combat against some kind of Barbarian unit representing a Supply dump which in turn triggers an event that generates a new unit). I guess not everything needs to be made possible through the actual game mechanics when there is practically unlimited events available.

No harm in putting these ideas out there. At the moment it seems like a case of don't ask - don't get. Exciting times!

I noticed that you also fixed the rivers-irrigation overlay issue.

Sure did.

I'm getting a CTD when I start a new game or load one with the 'Extra terrain types' option enabled. I'll attach the crash info for now. Will look into it later - unless you beat me to it.

Division by zero, happens when one of the leftmost terrain tiles in Terrain1 is fully transparent (not just TOTPP; vanilla as well). This also happens when not enough tiles have been added for the new terrain types.

There is a graphical glitch associated with the active unit indicators, blinking units setting. It appears to be caused by the way the game refreshes tiles; noticeable if you right-click tiles adjacent to the active unit.

Oops, missed that. It's fixed now.

If you let Air/Sea units take advantage of the Alpine (all squares as roads) Flag, scenario designers could get around that problem, at least somewhat. It would also allow range 1 air units and sea units, to have a larger range without giving them the ability to pummel nearby targets over and over again.

I'd rather not multiply with the multiplier at all for air/sea units. But that would mean custom handling for those domains. I'll have to see how that works out.

Also, it turns out that movement allowance is interpreted as a signed value, meaning the maximum is 127, not 255, exacerbating the problem. The concept will work, but only with "nice" values, such as x3, x6 (lcm=6).

Speaking of range, what about giving sea units a range in the same way air units have one? Scenario designers could then have fast cargo ships that have to stay on settled trade routes, and slower ships that can travel farther between ports.

Here are some ideas regarding unit support, which might make logistics more interesting (like in WWII, where logistics were very important):

It would be amazing if shield support costs for units could be set in the rules in a similar way to improvements (cost in gold).

Great ideas, some of them might even be implementable. :p

I have just tried applying the new options but every time I try to load a game or begin a new one I get a crash to desktop. :cry:

Do you know which patch specifically? Or if you could post crash details, that would help immensely (Win7: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer, then "Windows Logs" -> "Application", and look for relevant entries).

An idea for a feature: the ability to cheat in multiples of a single wonder would be handy for scenario design (e.g. each civilization having their own Leonardo's).

Multiple wonders would indeed be a great feature for scenario designers!

I will post the crash details tomorrow if I can't work the problem out. I was using the 0.8 patch and everything was running fine. It was only when I applied the 0.9 patches today that the crashes occurred. I guess its working OK for everyone else?

I'm sure its something minor! If necessary I will reinstall ToT and the last patch that worked for me and then add on the newest patches one at a time to diagnose which one specifically causes the issue.

I'm running everyone's favourite OS Vista :O

Division by zero, happens when one of the leftmost terrain tiles in Terrain1 is fully transparent (not just TOTPP; vanilla as well). This also happens when not enough tiles have been added for the new terrain types.
:hmm: I'm getting the CTD for all game folders, including the Original (using the modpack on my site), Fantasy and Sci-Fi games. None of these has fully transparent tiles or extra terrain slots in Terrain1.bmp. I can include the NumberOfTerrainTypes parameters with default values of 11, or omit the parameter entirely, and it'll still crash when I load a saved game or start a new one. The only way I've been able to avoid a CTD is to disable 'Extra terrain types' from the launcher listbox.

Here are some other ideas and suggestions:

You've customized the caravan gold/science payout. Is it possible to customize it based on the civ sending the caravan and the civ receiving it? Maybe customize it further based on the diplomatic situation (war, alliance) or change it by events?

Is it possible to have an alternate science multiplier in the event that the destination civ has the technology that the sending civ is researching?

Is it possible to make the entire trade payout formula customizable, or at least to change the relative importance of distance or city trade?

Is it possible to give the destination civ of a caravan a delivery payout?

Is it possible to have some units take up more space in ships?

Is it possible to have regular ships transport airplanes as cargo?

Is it possible to have some units not be able to step off a ship? (That is, they must be taken into a port to be unloaded.)

Additional suggestions: multiple @AND statements per event, an @ELSE conditional operator, and perhaps more than 32 flags per civilization in the macro language would be nice. Also a fix for the bug where a change in state of a flag for one civilization doesn't change the same flag for all other civilizations would be really terrific.

I very much doubt this idea has any chance of being implemented but it has always bothered me that artillery type units have no ranged attack (Eg. Howitzers that can fire on their targets from two or more hex distance). I know the chances of such a feature are incredibly low but I was dreaming about it as I was drifting into sleep last night :sleep:

:hmm: I'm getting the CTD for all game folders, including the Original (using the modpack on my site), Fantasy and Sci-Fi games. None of these has fully transparent tiles or extra terrain slots in Terrain1.bmp. I can include the NumberOfTerrainTypes parameters with default values of 11, or omit the parameter entirely, and it'll still crash when I load a saved game or start a new one. The only way I've been able to avoid a CTD is to disable 'Extra terrain types' from the launcher listbox.

Yeah, I realized today that I broke backwards compatibility with the mini-map fix (it ignores the Cosmic2 setting). It only works with 16 terrain types atm. I'll do a point release tonight.

Watch out, Nameless. You won't be able to satisfy them, no matter what you do! :crazyeye:

I know, I spoil them too much. ;)

Now I'm even doing a point release:

Fixes:
  • Fixed a crash bug in the "Extra terrain types" patch when playing with less than 16 terrain types.
  • Fixed a graphical glitch in the "Active unit indicators" patch.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• TOTPPv091.zip
    122.6 KB · Views: 249
Great, thanks for the quick fix, its allowed me to continue adding cities for my Fortress Europe scenario (including my home town that I couldn't justify adding before :D). One observation, I can't get the active unit to blink. I can disable the marker and adjust the blink speed but the unit itself does not blink. Perhaps it's me missing out something, but the launcher just says to change the settings with the in game config menu.

Hello, I'm nostalgic for some good ol' civ 2 ToT, = )

Should I be installing the 0.91V or the version at the bottom of your thread?

When I install the 0.91V, and I start the launcher, I an option to apply a patch (pretty much all I can do). It then claims it cannot open civ2.exe for some reason.

= (

EDIT: I have ToT version 1.1 (as far as I know) with no other toppings

The above error reporting just gave me an idea. Would it be possible to add links to DebugView and the Errors/Modules DB files with instructions for how to use them for bug reporting to the OP, to make things easier for everyone?

1.9 crashes for me as well.

How about being able to set the number of rounds of combat when one unit attacks another, so that it doesn't necessarily continue until either the attacking or defending unit is killed? More realistic, especially for air or artillery attacks.

Is it possible to allow strategic air attack on cities? Now, only units occupying a city are attacked. What if you could attack improvements, such as factories or power plants?

Top Bottom