Regarding Rerolling

...(Mongolia with no horses = instant restart)...

You, too...eh? ;)

Some times I'll be patient, if it looks like there might be hope for the second city. And, although I don't do it so much with Mongolia in BNW, in G&K I used to start Animal Husbandry as my first tech to see if the game was going to be worth playing.

In my last Mongolia game I had a 2-Horse tile in Karakorum and a nice 4-Horse tile where I going to put my second city.....and Pocatello wandered over probably ten or twelve tiles from his nearest city border....maybe more, and planted a city. I took the Honour GG and grabbed those horses and a gold tile as well....I knew then who was going to be the problem AI for me in that game....

Playing as Mongolia, six horses are pretty good to get things going....5 Keshiks and a Horseman for "clean-up"....

Generally I take what I get sometimes with a bit of exploring, except for Spain. With Spain I reroll constantly to the point of tedium, and abandon games regularly...... I want that edge that good Natural Wonders give you as Spain or I may as well play a more interesting civ such as William.

If I have no inclination to play the map I've been dealt, I won't.

I've never got the whole 'rerolling is cheating' thing. I fundamentally play single-player Civ, for fun, to unwind after a long day, and ultimately I'm much more interested in empire-building and trying particular strategies I've read or thought about than in winning the game - I have over 2,000 hours logged in Steam and I've probably finished less than fifty games. Sometimes I'll be in the mood to try a challenging start to see how it goes, but if I've just stopped working at 8pm I'm not going to waste the two remaining hours of my evening by struggling through something that frankly isn't fun. I have been known to reroll after the first 10 or so turns if I don't like the look of my opponents - if I've just played a game against Ramkhamhaeng or Haile Selassie, both of whom can be monstrously frustrating as opponents, I'm not going to stand for that kind of nonsense again :lol:

So, if I start as pretty much anyone other than the Aztecs or Brazil and there's jungle everywhere...

Actually the whole rerolling thing reminds me of an idea I had recently, which probably won't be popular with the 'rerolling-is-cheating' crowd...

...I think it would be kind of fun to add a option where, instead of having start bias, you get to see your starting location (i.e. no more than you see normally; just a few hexes) and then choose which Civ you want to play as :crazyeye:

Actually the whole rerolling thing reminds me of an idea I had recently, which probably won't be popular with the 'rerolling-is-cheating' crowd...

...I think it would be kind of fun to add a option where, instead of having start bias, you get to see your starting location (i.e. no more than you see normally; just a few hexes) and then choose which Civ you want to play as :crazyeye:

Hmmm (thinks)...Hey, previewing is cheating!
:D

That's an interesting idea actually.

Generally I take what I get sometimes with a bit of exploring, except for Spain. With Spain I reroll constantly to the point of tedium, and abandon games regularly...... I want that edge that good Natural Wonders give you as Spain or I may as well play a more interesting civ such as William.

Me too. Playing Spain without starting near a decent Natural Wonder is just kind of pointless.

Rerolling from having a bad start is usually a good idea and having a tundra start with dance of the aurora sometimes works out. Even when I don't reroll from having a bad start and stay, the AI or the opponent usually can tell that I have a bad start and eventually makes a DoW on me and forces a much needed reroll. I've seen dance of the aurora work in multiplayer where one of the players used it to make a world religion and frigates.

I reroll until a perfect start.

4 salt! marble! at least 12 riverside plain/grassland tiles! laterally flowing river for much the same terrain in the future! mountain adjacent to the city!

Yeah, that'd be pretty sweet. So many times I get that start and am like "Man, if only I was XXX". Even if it just shows you the 6-7 hexes immediately around.

I like it even more since I don't have time to play every civ, so sometimes I just do the "I want to play the iroquois this game", but I have to reroll like 10 times to find a nice starting location. Would love to start the map and then decide how to play the game after.

I think that'd be cool.

I think it would actually be cool if you could basically just have the game "play" itself as all AI - and then at some point jump in and take over a civ as a human player. A sort of scenario generator of sorts - you could take the civ about to be wiped out and try a comeback, or just take the the dominate civ and coast to victory if you were so inclined.

Many times I will play a civ on a custom map and will reroll until I get a start near the location of the real capital. For example, if I am playing France on the Western Europe continents map, I want my capital to be where Paris is. If I realize I'm in Italy, I'll reroll. Sometimes it takes a while to get it right but it makes the game much more enjoyable for me.

I don't reroll for advantage, I only reroll for flavour. (eg: If I'm Arabia I want to start in a desert.)

Top Bottom