Getting Nuked is Better than Living under Portuguese Autocracy?

The core problem is, Civ is a game. By the time nukes are around, you are pretty close to your victory condition, and you are doing everything you can to achieve that, even if it includes killing millions of people because, well, it's just a game. I don't see a way to replicate the effect nukes have on world politics without making them basically impossible to use.

The core problem is, Civ is a game. By the time nukes are around, you are pretty close to your victory condition, and you are doing everything you can to achieve that, even if it includes killing millions of people because, well, it's just a game. I don't see a way to replicate the effect nukes have on world politics without making them basically impossible to use.

Well, in all fairness in Civ the first use of an Atomic Weapon could first be to fear the user. Civs could ask that you never deploy another weapon like that again (much like the reaction to settling or buying tiles near another civ).

Using it a second time, might incur some serious negativity or even war declarations. Beyond that, it could simply escalate to you being a pariah for being "too scary". Of course, different civs might not react that way, and then you get the Cold War in essence.

While it is near the end of the game, having ramifications for using them should still be present. I'd like it to be used as a threat in the game, and perhaps trade bonuses for "disarming". Also, using them in a long, or nasty war could force the AI to bargain for peace.

I should think that nuking should cause ANY city to have a major, almost insurmountable diplomatic penalty against you. And I'd be okay if conventional bombing raids added up to something similar.

I was with you until the conventional bombing part. In the game, conventional bombing does not reduce population! How could that be comparable with dropping a nuke that cuts the population in half?

I can just imagine Russel Crowe from Gladiator walking around, "ARE YOU NOT LIBERATED?!"

But yeah, you'd kind of be a jerk to nuke a city, and still expect it's civilian occupants to like you...

I agree that there not being a diplomatic penalty specific to nukes is disappointing. But what really breaks my sense of immersement is when an AI civ nukes a city I only just recently captured from him. That sort of action should result immediately in -20 happiness.

I just wanted to say that the title for this topic made me lol.

Also, having not played much MP, are nukes more terrifying to face when there is a human with their finger on the proverbial button?

(after all he did liberate the Maya... and the 2 cities the US nuked are allies of the US)

Well people don't make a big deal about it because the original victims died, moved away and whatnot and the younger generation feels that it's "distant" and don't really care. Americans don't hate the British still, people in Strasbourg and Königsburg don't consider themselves German, and Mexico didn't declare its independence as the Aztec Republic. People move on (unless it involves Civ warmongering :mischief:).

With nukes, there is a penalty, but only against the civ you used them on. They've actually made Civ 5 über nuke-friendly compared to Civ 4 and Civ Rev. No global warming or global diplomacy penalty makes it easy to just wipe out anyone that looks at you funny.

I agree that they should add a "you used nukes" global penalty after doing it a couple times, but I so hope they don't bring back global warming! It just takes the fun out of using them when all of a sudden YOUR cities start to starve because all your tiles turn to desert :wallbash:

I remember when it was possible to basically destroy the world by starting a nuclear war in Civ III. Eventually the AI would build the satellite defense wonder and most of your long-range nukes would stop getting through, but even so, global warming would bake everything not already glowing with radioactivity into a desert. Half of my time in late-game Civ III was spent launching nukes, the other half was spent planting trees to absorb the warming effect.

I like the idea of penalties for repeated strikes and trade bonuses for disarmament.

They've actually made Civ 5 über nuke-friendly compared to Civ 4 and Civ Rev. No global warming or global diplomacy penalty makes it easy to just wipe out anyone that looks at you funny.

I agree that they should add a "you used nukes" global penalty after doing it a couple times, but I so hope they don't bring back global warming! It just takes the fun out of using them when all of a sudden YOUR cities start to starve because all your tiles turn to desert

I politely disagree, as the global warming feature enhanced game play.

Alpha Centauri was even better. Too many “planet buster” explosions and the game unceremoniously ended because Planet fragmented. That games still has features (like editable terrain elevation) that Civ III, IV, V have not touched.

I politely disagree, as the global warming feature enhanced game play.

Alpha Centauri was even better. Too many “planet buster” explosions and the game unceremoniously ended because Planet fragmented. That games still has features (like editable terrain elevation) that Civ III, IV, V have not touched.

Yes, but "global warming" just meant "[insert your civ]'s territory turns to desert". I wouldn't complain at all if the land I nuked turned to desert or it was random tiles all over the world, but it only affects the player who used them.

Civ 4 did that also. You fire X nukes and the barbarians win :mischief:

:lol: Oh man, I forgot about the Planet Busters in Alpha Centauri.

Yes, but "global warming" just meant "[insert your civ]'s territory turns to desert". I wouldn't complain at all if the land I nuked turned to desert or it was random tiles all over the world, but it only affects the player who used them. Civ 4 did that also. You fire X nukes and the barbarians win

I didn't used nukes as much in previous Civs as I do with V, but my recollection is that all the world territory turned to desert. You just could not see the changes due to fog of war. Of course, I might well be remembering wrong, or trick by SMAC, where the rising sea level was quite obvious!

With SMAC, the barbarians didn't win since the planet was destroyed, not merely made unsuitable for humans.

I didn't used nukes as much in previous Civs as I do with V, but my recollection is that all the world territory turned to desert. You just could not see the changes due to fog of war. Of course, I might well be remembering wrong, or trick by SMAC, where the rising sea level was quite obvious!

With SMAC, the barbarians didn't win since the planet was destroyed, not merely made unsuitable for humans.

I used in-game world builder to give me more nukes, so no, it was just my territory.

Civ 4 did that also. You fire X nukes and the barbarians win.

I'm pretty sure that was only in the Future War scenario. I still remember the "victory" screen from when I launched a ton of nukes out of spite. "You launched too many nuclear missiles! The Earth has cracked open like a giant egg! Everyone loses!"

Top Bottom