How does AI choose Ideologie

Whiterussian

Warlord
Can anyone please explain me how the AI chooses their Ideologie?
Is it purely random?

Thanks

Code was posted awhile ago. It's based on the AI's grand strategy, how much happy it will get from adopting - unhappy from tourism pressure, free tenets available, and what it's friends have adopted.

Code was posted awhile ago. It's based on the AI's grand strategy, how much happy it will get from adopting - unhappy from tourism pressure, free tenets available, and what it's friends have adopted.

Yeah, well I'm pretty sure some of them just like certain ideologies. I got first pick and chose Autocracy, and about 20 turns later my neighbor and close ally Mongolia chooses order... Then they had a civil war because of all the unhappiness from not changing ideologies :p

This has to be the most difficult part of my game. It seems no matter what I choose the AI chooses differently, and I wind up with wars on multiple fronts and must deal with unhappiness issues. Two games in a row come to mind. In one I chose order because the only other AI to have selected an ideology selected order, and we were friends. Every other AI (after I selected) chose freedom or aristocracy. I got eaten alive on Immortal. In my current game (again Immortal), I was the first to select an ideology. I went freedom, and every other AI chose one of the other two.

It must be an evil Firaxis scheme. :mad:

From my experience they pick freedom if they only have 3 cities, autocracy if they are the one everyone hates and order otherwise.

Which results in order civs always outnumbering the rest in my experience.

By experience; they really like the bonus to being the first to Freedom / Order. (If the human is first and picks one of them, the AI that reaches it first always picks the other )

Otherwise, Order appears to be their default. Only war mongling AIs pick Autocracy. Only after several civs have reached an ideology will an AI pick Freedom second; and that's going to be an AI that really likes the first to Freedom.

Maybe the AI just wants to have a huge number of cities, regardless of whether that is possible? :lol:

When the ai is first to the ideology era (particularly in the 7 or 8 level) the ai chooses order first more often than all the other ideologies.

I am currently finishing up a game where Assyria was the only AI going for Order.
I went first to Freedom, England joined me later on. Songhai and Maya went Autocracy and the Celts and Venice still don't have a Ideologie yet.
I just cant see much of a pattern...
If its a default pattern for a VC which for which?

Well, I've seen the A.I. seems to have a preference for Order, but this may be due to the circumstances: the A.I. that is first to adopt an ideology is usually the one that's the furthest into the tech tree. It's usually ahead in science because it has a lot of cities. And since it has a lot of cities, it prefers Order.

The other civs then end up falling in line and adopting Order because the leading A.I. probably has a decent amount of tourism due to having used its tech lead to build wonders.

I think a lot of it has to do with Tourism pressure.

If I'm on Deity and choose first (but with zero Tourism, of course), nobody follows my lead. Last time this happened, I picked Order. Everyone else is Freedom Freedom Autocracy Freedom etc. One other Order pick, that's it. So much for the "They pick Order" plan.

Yesterday, though, I was rocking on Immortal with Kamehahahahahaha on Archipelago and had ~130 culture from Moias. (Had some *great* shaped islands!) I hit hotels around the same time as most AIs were picking Ideologies. The first person to pick (pre-Hotel), picked Freedom (I picked Order), then some idiot picked Autocracy, but after that, I really had the Tourism engine going, and everyone picked Order.

All else equal, though, I think they love Order.

I play on emporer but its getting to be a bit too easy. Therefore i am usually the first on to pick. My feeling is that whatever i pick they never pick. What they do pick is rather random altough they influence themselfs. But otherwise... don't see much strategy there. Thats why i ask you guys :undecide:

It seems to me that the second AI to pick an ideology (I play Immortal, and have never NOT been the first to select one, even on OCC) will always pick something in contrast to what you picked. If you pick freedom, the first AI will go Order or Autocracy. If you pick Order, the First AI will pick Freedom... and so on.

At least that is the way to seems to me, In all my games since BNW. I guess it makes sense for the AI to always go opposite, but it is kind of boring always knowing what they will pick.

It seems to me that the second AI to pick an ideology (I play Immortal, and have never NOT been the first to select one, even on OCC) will always pick something in contrast to what you picked. If you pick freedom, the first AI will go Order or Autocracy. If you pick Order, the First AI will pick Freedom... and so on.

At least that is the way to seems to me, In all my games since BNW. I guess it makes sense for the AI to always go opposite, but it is kind of boring always knowing what they will pick.

Maybe Firaxis wanted it to simulate a Cold War.

It's mostly the AI heavily weighting the free ideologies over other concerns.

Can anyone please explain me how the AI chooses their Ideologie?
Is it purely random?

Thanks

Yes. I see no other explanation when the world chose order and civs, like Polynesia and Siam, wielding 50+ tourism, little Denmark with no tourism picks freedom and immediately falls into the red, until few turns later, when citizens revolt and force wise Harald to become a commie. What was the point? I notice similar trend in most of my games. I think that part of the system is seriously damaged.

Other than that: wide empires almost always go order/autocracy. Tall empires often go freedom, all other things being equal.

Top Bottom