How to avoid failed posts

Noriad2

Emperor
I just posted a really long message about my views on religion, Atheism, Agnosticism, and the split of popular religions like Christianity. The forums logged me out and all of my post was deleted. If you would like to hear what I had to say, please say so here and I will repost it. It was a huge post and I put a lot of thought and work into it and was heartbroken when it was lost. I'm not willing to go through all that work again unless someone wants to hear it if I'm just going to get logged out and lose the work again.

I'm a bit late with this reply but it's an important subject. The below rules are for Microsoft Windows.

Before you press "submit reply" on any post you make, you should press CTRL-A (select all) CTRL-C (copy) and then submit your message. A copy of your message is now stored in the memory of your computer. CTRL-A means hold down the CTRL (control) key on your keyboard, then press the A key.

If the posting fails for some reason (e.g. time out), you immediately reply again, and press CTRL-V (paste) in the message box. Your failed reply now re-appears from the memory of your computer. You can also CTRL-V (paste) your text into other programs like Notepad or Word.

Also useful is CTRL-Z (undo). If you accidently delete your post (e.g. you press CTRL-A then press the Space key) then CTRL-Z should bring it back.

You should practice this and make it a habit.

Or the forum could check for if you are logged out before submitting and taking you to a login page while keeping the forum posting in memory and once logged in proceed to post it.

I know Civ Fanatics does not do that so the other way is to always be logged on (enable cookies and the remember my login stuff).

A third way, well, 4th as the old CTRL+A+C+V really is the first, is to always write your response in a notepad window (in which case you are also free to browse around for other info) and when done go to reply and use the old CTRL+A+C+V.

Cheers

For firefox users - the Lazarus form recovery addon comes in handy for this.

Top Bottom