MPMPM - Multiplayer Mod DLC-hack (Updated!)

I've been trying to make a modpack, mostly adding civs. Although sometimes the game crashes when exiting the game or exiting to main menu.
In-game it is stable as far as I've tested. Logging is turned on.
Is there any way to find out what is causing this? I'm checking database.log, but I don't know what to look at.

This is a problem civ 5 has always had, and turns up even when playing mods the normal way. It's a thing the developers probably never bothered to fix since it's not truly serious (most people quitting games are preparing to go to sleep since the sun is up. ;) )

The reason is actually for some Lua code used with the mods. Stopping the game to reload (or even quit) crashes the Lua code and then the game. This might have to do with the implementation code for the Events & Decisions mod, but I could be mistaken on that.

Hi, I've been corresponding with Ilyu working on Communitas and we have quashed seemingly all of the desyncs by systemic removal of improper GetActivePlayer() implementations. However, we just removed whole chunks of the mod in order to stop the desyncs. I was wondering: has anyone made an API for popup windows/decisions that will trigger a state-safe change across all players? Most mods which offer the player a choice use GetActivePlayer for both the UI display of the options and making alterations to the game state. If there was a mod API which abstracted this into it's two respective parts, it would make converting mods over to multiplayer much easier. I am thinking of writing one up myself in my spare time, but if there's one out there, no sense re-inventing the wheel :)

Hi, I've been corresponding with Ilyu working on Communitas and we have quashed seemingly all of the desyncs by systemic removal of improper GetActivePlayer() implementations. However, we just removed whole chunks of the mod in order to stop the desyncs. I was wondering: has anyone made an API for popup windows/decisions that will trigger a state-safe change across all players? Most mods which offer the player a choice use GetActivePlayer for both the UI display of the options and making alterations to the game state. If there was a mod API which abstracted this into it's two respective parts, it would make converting mods over to multiplayer much easier. I am thinking of writing one up myself in my spare time, but if there's one out there, no sense re-inventing the wheel :)
I have no knowledge about API and such things... but yes it is a problem, that Popups seems only to work in singleplayer.
Also popups with no decisions are not called in MP, e.g. the popup from a citystate greeting is never called in a MP. (maybe you know where to change this?)

Maybe a simular problem with my workaround:
I solved this "decision for players thing" with a building. In my improvement from UI-Expansion I first wanted to use the settings from the players, whether the city expands automatically or manual. But the problem was, that the other players are not able to see the settings from other players ^^. That's why I introduced a new building.
Maybe you can solve some of your decision problem also with ingame solutions. So instead of a popup "choose A or B", you can create sth. ingame like "get A, when moving the Unit to this plot, and get B when moving unit to that plot".

But if you are able to program an API, I think this will better in most cases :D

@ Cicero:
Gothic Empire's Light Pack has no working download link anymore.
I downloaded it before it was down. I uploaded them to file-upload.de.
Please add the link to your opening post ;)

Gothic Empire's Light Pack:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-10744734/ramen_empire_immersion_lite.zip.html

this is an important modpack, because it contains a working version of Active AI (regarding to the readme file it is a little modified, to work in singleplayer)

@ Cicero:
Gothic Empire's Light Pack has no working download link anymore.
I downloaded it before it was down. I uploaded them to file-upload.de.
Please add the link to your opening post ;)

Gothic Empire's Light Pack:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-10744734/ramen_empire_immersion_lite.zip.html

this is an important modpack, because it contains a working version of Active AI (regarding to the readme file it is a little modified, to work in singleplayer)

Okay, it is done. Though for what it's worth I don't recall Active AI being a problem when I tested it...

Sorry for lack of explanation, it was a quick post. I am using an existing modpack the "CivAddiction’s Multiplayer Modpack – CP+CSD+C4DF+Serp’s+And More!" but I also tried the "Serp's Multiplayer Improved Experience pack" and did the same thing.

No, it crashes after the intro, in the loading screen before the main menu, it's a simple CTD with the "Civilization has stopped working".
I find it weird that the logging seems messed up, maybe because I can't ever start a game.

Database: http://pastebin.com/y5pRPmz5
Lua: http://pastebin.com/EA3vGpjh
Xml: http://pastebin.com/E5E4BRCi

It even says on the Log that it is skipping the database verification. But I've checked again and I followed the instructions on logging...

Hi, I've been having the same exact problems as Franckcrack, where the "CivAddiction’s Multiplayer Modpack – CP+CSD+C4DF+Serp’s+And More!" modpack crashes directly after the intro, the main menu doesn't even pop up the game just crashes to desktop with an error.

I was wondering if anyone could help with this problem :D

Edit: I'm also on a mac if that helps in any way.

Edit2: I also noticed that the same exact problem also occurred with Serp's modpack

Hi, I've been having the same exact problems as Franckcrack, where the "CivAddiction’s Multiplayer Modpack – CP+CSD+C4DF+Serp’s+And More!" modpack crashes directly after the intro, the main menu doesn't even pop up the game just crashes to desktop with an error.

I was wondering if anyone could help with this problem :D

Edit: I'm also on a mac if that helps in any way.

I am not o Mac, running xp here

Edit2: I also noticed that the same exact problem also occurred with Serp's modpack

I have similar, but not quite the same problem. Serp's pack works for me, but CP+CSD+C4DF+Serp’s+And More! doesn't. With the later one the game crashes while starting the new game.

To debug I did the following:

Where I've started from: Serp's pack installed.

1. Removed Serp's pack, added CivAddiction’s Multiplayer Modpack - Game crashes while starting new game. Main menu loads.

2. Removed CivAddiction’s Multiplayer Modpack and added Serp's pack - game start OK.

3. Removed Serp's and CivAddiction’s Multiplayer Modpack completely. - The game crashes before getting to the Main menu.

Removing cache doesn't help.

From the above I conclude that this has something to do with user settings, which get changed with mods and are not changed back even if you remove the modepack. So, game crashes now with anything but the Serp's pack, which presumably has all of the right user settings...

I have the problem though since I don't know how to identify offending settings and I don't know how to revert them now. There is one particular error in the logs (the only one I can see), but it doesn't look relevant...
Code:
[2247.085] *** SKIPPING Game Database Validation. ****
[2247.085] You can enable it by setting 'ValidateGameDatabase = 1' in config.ini
[2247.880] **** Validating Prefetch Process *****
[2247.880] ERROR: gc.getNumDiploModifierInfos <= 0
[2247.880] **** VALIDATION FAILED *****

Edit: Might have identified possible reason for the crash. It might have to do with Mods loading. I had one mod running in addition to Serp's modpack. When I replaced his modpack with CivAddiction’s Multiplayer Modpack I have unchecked all mods, but I think the game doesn't unload them until you actually start the game from MODs folder without mods loaded. Will try it this evening and see. It doesn't explain though crash when loading game without any packs.

In regards to the CivAddiction Modpack:

@Franckcrack and Crowmaster77

Ensure you have followed the instructions listed on the first post in my modpack thread.

Ensure that you have the latest version of Civ 5 BNW and all the retail DLC including the Denmark and Polynesia DLC (CulDiv requires these DLC). My version is listed at 1.0.3.279.

Ensure that you have manually added the 'JFD's Cultural Diversity (Soundtrack) (v 1)' folder into the MP_MODPACK\Mods folder.

If you are moving from Serp's to my modpack, or have EUI, you must remove it by deleting the entire UI_bc1 folder. EUI does not work with my modpack.

If there are lingering mod loading issues, try deleting the ModUserData folder as well as the cache folder. Before installing the modpack, delete the MP_MODPACK folder (or any MPMPM modpacks you've added to the DLC folder, although there should only ever be one used at a time), the cache and ModUserData folders, the UI_bc1 folder, and start a clean single player game (This could work to clear any lingering settings). If this works, delete cache, install the modpack, and start a single player game with the modpack in place. Do not run the game from the Mods menu, just Single or Multiplayer (as in, do not run with additional mods from the Mod menu - many mods modify LUA and can overlap with changes made in the modpack, or have their own dll that will supersede the dll in the modpack).

@crytipids

I remember reading somewhere that Macs cannot run DLL mods. Both Serp's and my modpacks require the Whoward DLL in order to run correctly. This could be the source of your issue

@civaddiction

Ok, I've fixed mine. The offender was CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll. Direct X was crashing trying to load it. The reason was that I have taken both MP packs (Serp's and yours) and put them in to one directory above DLC folder (just as copies, thinking that they won't be loaded from there).

Apparently, Civ5 finds the dll above (possibly injected with the relative name set to root civ5 folder?) and because it was finding it twice (I think) it would crash the game...

So, what I did - simply moved both pack copies somewhere outside civ5 root folder. Then started the game without packs first. It started OK. Then moved your pack civaddiction in place and started again and everything worked.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, if you want to know what exactly has crashed, then you need to look at CvMiniDump.dmp file in the Civilisation V root folder (where the game is installed). The file can be opened with any IDE, i.e. Visual Studio or I think even with text editor such as Notepad++.

Haye Guys,
I´m new to this forum. loving that game. but i dont like the fact that its not possible to use mods for multiplayer.
is there a mod with many new civs (especially Bavaria) which can be used for multiplayer? and how do i install it?

Thanks in advance

DrooXXy

Haye Guys,
I´m new to this forum. loving that game. but i dont like the fact that its not possible to use mods for multiplayer.
is there a mod with many new civs (especially Bavaria) which can be used for multiplayer? and how do i install it?

Thanks in advance

DrooXXy

how about the one from Kesler?:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=13857702&postcount=454

Instructions how to install can be found on the first post of this thread:
Everyone who wants to join a multiplayer mod game must do the following, and use the same pack. The pack must be removed again to play regular civ 5. When starting a game with fake dlc pack, use the normal multiplayer menu (NOT the mods menu).

Windows:
1. Copy paste the folder into Steam\SteamApps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\assets\DLC.

MAC:
You will probably have to use command+shift+period to reveal hidden files.
1. Navigate to Macintosh HD/Users/{Username}/Libraries/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V
2. Right_click -> Civlization V -> Show Package Contents
3. Place dlc folder in Contents/Home/Assets/DLC

got the civilizations and it works in multiplayer. but i now get that bug in-game.

Attachments

• civ-bug.jpg
    civ-bug.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 333
got the civilizations and it works in multiplayer. but i now get that bug in-game.
It is because you are using EUI ;)
I told Kesler to make a version with and a version without EUI, but he uploaded only a version without EUI :D

So you have two options:
1) Remove EUI and play.
2) Ask Kesler to upload a EUI compatible version.

@ Kesler:
I still get error message about too long file names. Of course this depends on the path were you have the modpack. But to prevent further reports by any user, you should shorten some file names further.
E.g "edited_aim_ms_leave_bombard_defend_trans_idle_a_graph.dge" ... but I don't how a dge file is used... could happen that it does not work, when you change the name... so maybe it helps to rename your modpack to MP_JFDCivs2 and shorten the names of the mods folders.. so eg "JFD's The Commonwealth of Iceland (v 2)" to "Icelandv2" or simular.

Many Thanks, Serp! :D
now i can finally enjoy those mods in multiplayer.
are there further recommendable mods for multiplayer in this thread? :D

Many Thanks, Serp! :D
now i can finally enjoy those mods in multiplayer.
are there further recommendable mods for multiplayer in this thread? :D

You can see all linked in the first post of this thread ;)
I can recommend my modpack.

But there is one downside:
Only one modpack can be active at the same time. So if you want to play my modpack (or any other from this thread) you have to delete all other modpacks from the civ 5 folder.
If you want to combinate mods in a different way as they are in one modpack, you have to create your own modpack.

It is because you are using EUI ;)
I told Kesler to make a version with and a version without EUI, but he uploaded only a version without EUI :D

So you have two options:
1) Remove EUI and play.
2) Ask Kesler to upload a EUI compatible version.

@ Kesler:
I still get error message about too long file names. Of course this depends on the path were you have the modpack. But to prevent further reports by any user, you should shorten some file names further.
E.g "edited_aim_ms_leave_bombard_defend_trans_idle_a_graph.dge" ... but I don't how a dge file is used... could happen that it does not work, when you change the name... so maybe it helps to rename your modpack to MP_JFDCivs2 and shorten the names of the mods folders.. so eg "JFD's The Commonwealth of Iceland (v 2)" to "Icelandv2" or simular.

I'll do both these things. I'll be honest, completely forgot about a EUI version. And I'll shorten further. I was running some tests on a Steam Workshop version (which is not coming out before any one thinks it is) and I can see which ones are too long.

@Kesler:
I'm trying to make a similar modpack for myself and my friends (but adding some other stuff).
It works fine, although it's not very stable.

Did you just 'compile' it (like I did) or did you edit any files (apart from the filename shortening)?

My recommendation is don't use the mod creator that comes with the tools.You can if you would like, but the standard method of creating multiplayer mods works just as well.

You will need to compile to see if it runs and works. Mainly, the biggest thing is shortening the file names down. Shorten it down so you know which files are which, without too much information added.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of mods that will not work simply because of syncing issues (like E&D). It would be great if we could get that to work multiplayer, but I suspect that it would require a lot of additional network compatibility coding (something that I'm not great at). Try to limit the mods to things that don't massively overhaul code.

Top Bottom