Anno Domini Rise of Cities edition

Anno Domini: Rise of Cities edition (latest version dated November 9th 2016) 27

So... I'll have to wait.
(My summer vacation started now, so I'm going to have an awful lot of time to play with this amazing mod.)
(So when the mod will be released to steam?)
(Sorry to bother you)

It'll be released on Steam when it's Steam-ready; I did try to upload it recently but was unable to do so due to the size of it. I'm now breaking it down into "uploadable" chunks, but revamping the civs as I go, generally to add support for the decisions, but I'm also restoring some of them to how they were created by their original authors rather than my Anno Domini interpretation. Therefore, I don't want to upload a half-finished version (in terms of the civs). They're an unforgiving lot at times on Steam, so I want to ensure it's as good as it can be.

In real-time, I'd expect that to be August, with a latest date stamp of mid-September (when I next have a week off). There should be Nubia, the Egypt split and the Greek split done by then with any luck, along with Akkad by the Light in the East crew - so the mod can be updated with them. The Moors are going in as their leader was around in the 9th Century and the timeframe of the mod allows up to around 1100AD.

So I just played the American Civil War scenario (the one that came with BNW), twice actually (way too easy on Prince, so I just conquered Washington 2 turns before it was over on Deity). And there's one thing in that scenario that I'd really like to see in AD: bridges. These engineer units can embark and then build boat bridges over 1 tile of water in friendly territory. These bridges do not hamper ships (just looks a bit weird when a ship is on the same tile) and they allow land units to cross without embarking (although they still get an amphibious attack penalty). I really love that feature, and while I know that in a standard game, all units are going to be able to embark by the time you get access to these bridges (at Bridge Building?), it does add another tactical component for the player (don't think the AI is gonna build bridges), and they look pretty. :) I'm still hoping that with the reduced file size of the Steam release, I might be able to load the mod in the world builder and make my own scenario that would include pre-built roads (like the silk road) and possibly bridges, should you decide to put them in. No idea how hard that would be though. Anyway, think about it! I'd love it. [Edit: Oh and a quick search on the workshop bings up the Pontoon Bridge mod. Maybe there's some code to "steal" from that one.]

Anyway, think about it! I'd love it. [Edit: Oh and a quick search on the workshop bings up the Pontoon Bridge mod. Maybe there's some code to "steal" from that one.]

Don't use BlouBlou's version, use Tomatekh's. They're both on the workshop but Tomatekh adjusted the rules to fit a regular game (as opposed to the scenario) and allows city connections over the water bridge tiles.

Don't use BlouBlou's version, use Tomatekh's. They're both on the workshop but Tomatekh adjusted the rules to fit a regular game (as opposed to the scenario) and allows city connections over the water bridge tiles.

Followed your advice and downloaded Tomatekh's mod, then changed the prerequisite tech to TECH_BRIDGE_BUILDING (instead of Mathematics), commented out the entries for the Legion and the other UU that was apparently able to build it, then took it for a quick test spin together with AD (and IGE). And it works perfectly! Shows up in the tech tree, graphics show up as intended, tooltips work ... I'm like super happy right now. :D Also, if I'm able to make both mods play nice together with my VERY limited modding (or rather mod-editing) skills in a 5 minute effort, I suppose it's totally doable.

Would pontoon bridges actually "fit" with the ancient world though? I'm not showing resistance to doing it here, just want to make sure it's suitable with the setting.

I don't see why not. The ancient Greeks, Romans, Persians, and Chinese all have recorded uses of pontoon style bridges.

Ok, I'll look to bring them in then.

In other news, I think what I'll do in terms of the Civilizations on the website is to list them by which group they're in rather than by A-Z. I know I could do both (and it would be easy to implement) but I would like the design to have one or the other. That way it's clearer which civilizations are in which package (the individual civ pages will only need to be updated with the civ-specific decisions, it's just the link pages that will be updated).

Ok, I'll look to bring them in then.

In other news, I think what I'll do in terms of the Civilizations on the website is to list them by which group they're in rather than by A-Z. I know I could do both (and it would be easy to implement) but I would like the design to have one or the other. That way it's clearer which civilizations are in which package (the individual civ pages will only need to be updated with the civ-specific decisions, it's just the link pages that will be updated).

Thank you! Organizing the civs by pack sounds great, too. I'm never sure where these celtic-sounding civs I'd never heard of before playing AD are actually from; Britain, Iberian peninsula, eastern Europe ...

Edit: Discovered a tiny bit of weirdness with the Barbarians. Some of the unit icons seem to be a bit jumbled around. So far, I've seen Hand-Axes with a Slinger icon and Spearmen with an Infantry Guardsman icon. Horsemen have a Three-man Chariot icon, and so on.

Edit 2: Also, the only event I've been getting so far is the scientific breakthrough that lets you choose between a cursory investigation and the skepticism for 50:50 between double science or nothing. This has happened three times in a row now (by turn 162 on Marathon), and each time it gave me the science despite the 50:50 chance (or at least the message was displayed; not entirely sure if I actually got any science at all). [Update: AI civs seem to get other events as well. Sumer just offered me Lapis Lazuli for peace. Will post here when I know if I keep getting the same event of if different events eventually kick in.] [Update 2: Just got the incompetent diplomat, which is now working properly, so I guess that was just coincidence. Disregard Edit 2.]

Edit 3: Hobah has Sana'a as its banner name but all the units and other texts refer to it as Hobah.

Edit 4: I got the Codify Laws decision when I entered the Anno Imperii era even though I hadn't researched Code of Laws yet. Also, city states can still build Weavers and therefore supply Linen, which is against your decision to forbid city states to build resource buildings.

Discovered a tiny bit of weirdness with the Barbarians. Some of the unit icons seem to be a bit jumbled around. So far, I've seen Hand-Axes with a Slinger icon and Spearmen with an Infantry Guardsman icon. Horsemen have a Three-man Chariot icon, and so on.
That was intentional, as I was relating which barbarian unit loosely replaced which actual unit in my "make barbs a bit stronger than they were initially" makeover. However, I'd agree that the icons bit doesn't work, so I'll change that.

Hobah has Sana'a as its banner name but all the units and other texts refer to it as Hobah.
I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, but can't seem to find that all-important solution.

I got the Codify Laws decision when I entered the Anno Imperii era even though I hadn't researched Code of Laws yet. Also, city states can still build Weavers and therefore supply Linen, which is against your decision to forbid city states to build resource buildings.
I thought linen might be a resource they could make, as it wasn't abundant. However, it can be changed.

I've not been able to work on the mod over the past few days due to RL events (nothing to worry about incidently ;) - some parts positive others work-related) but I should be able to work on it again next weekend. I've seen this thread which may mean I can tweak some policies (and UAs which are policy based). Worth looking into!

I can't say how I love AD Mod. Nice job!
It's why I'm very frustrated about my current game that freeze at turn 1166 (Marathon)
I tried to load 5 turns back and play differently, but it still freeze at turn 1166
(Save file + log folder is below)
My Civ ver. is 1.0.3.144 with AD (v15) + Really Advanced Setup (v14) + Single Unit Graphics (v10)
I've been able to play one game until the end with this config.
View attachment 395906

Also I notice that to build Armory, Barracks AND Castra Praetoria have to be built before (It's said only Barracks is needed)

With AD (v13) playing Lu Zhi (Han) the library didn't give me +2 science from jungle (Not tested with AD v15)

Thx for all

Oh, you definitely need to update your game which is currently at version 1.0.3.279.

And that's it?

With the V13 of AD I played many games until the end (Conquest and science)
It's now my 4th attempt with V15. The game crash between turn 900 and 1100 (Marathon) even with a small map and 5 players

With the V13 of AD I played many games until the end (Conquest and science)
It's now my 4th attempt with V15. The game crash between turn 900 and 1100 (Marathon) even with a small map and 5 players

I can relate how frustrating that must be. Plus, you can't really do a quick compatibility test because getting to turn 900 takes hours. However (and this comes more from gut feeling and mod using experience than from actual knowledge), this sounds like maybe there's a conflict with either your outdated Civ version or one of the mods you're using along AD. In Civ3, stuff like that happened in my scenarios when the game tried to load unit graphics that had the wrong name and therefore couldn't be found. My guess is that one of the additions made in v15 that crops up in mid-to-late game conflicts with the Single Unit Graphics mod (Really Advanced Setup would have you crash at the start, I suppose). So the conflict only first shows up when said element becomes available, resulting in your type of crash. Not sure what to do about it though aside from trying AD without the SUG mod and hope for the best. OR you could get IGE (Ingame Editor) and spawn every single unit, building and wonder in the game to see if any one in particular is the problems And cheat-research the full tech tree and all social policies. Basically, finish a whole game on turn 1. (IGE works fine with AD, btw.)

[I'm also playing on Marathon but have yet to get to tur 900+, I believe, so I can't tell you if I get the same. If I do I'll tell you, so you can rule out conflicts.]

I don't know if this is "it", but you should always run the latest version of the game.

You right, and you make "it" clear

The thing is i'm so tired with Steam.
I paid about 49$ to get Civ5. I can't log on steam anymore and at the end about 5 years after the release of CivV, I don't get on my own a correct install folder + all the patches.
How crazy is that?

Anyway the half game I had with Domini was great :mischief:

Is AD compatible with E&D? When I tried it, there were two "Enact Decisions" in the dropdown menu, and the events would appear twice on the same turn. Furthermore, playing as the Han Chinese, I had some of the unique decisions of the carthaginians, romans, and arabs available to me.

Top Bottom