BOTM 84 Final Spoiler

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 84 Final Spoiler

This is the thread to discuss how your entire game went.

Did you manage to conquer the world, or did you woo the world's population with your amazing culture?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 84 (Africa vs America), then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have submitted your entry, OR
  • You have abandoned your game and will not submit.

Posting Restrictions
Do not post any savegame file from the game until after the competition has closed (Dec 19). Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

I ended up settling the whole of Africa with a mere 33 cities and then managed to settle a city in Canada (in the icey north of the Incans) as well as a tundra island of the American NW coast. That brought me to about 60% land IIRC, so in order to get me over the domination limit decided to vassal the Aztecs. Monty looked like the easiest of the 3 Americans as he didn't have feudalism yet. So landed an invasion force at Tenochtitlan which was razed, basically out of fear for the AP. America was a hindu love-fest and SB had built the AP. Hence didn't want hindu cities, which the Aztec capital was. Captured a second Aztec city without hindu and when a third was about to fall, Monty kissed the ring and gave me the win. On the turn my win was announced the vote for Religious victory came up, hindu must have spread to my continent on the IBT. Probably neither SB nor HC would've won it as their votes went against each other, still glad I didn't have to deal with it. The AP really was the only potential scare of the game. ;) Anyway, won in 1090AD with a 208k score. Didn't get astro until 720AD, which I guess can be gotten quite a bit earlier when beelined properly. Happy enough with my date, but wouldn't be surprised if dom would be done by a real pro by 600AD or something.

Thanks for the game, DS.

Space in 1795...

A bit disappointed with this date because the map was rather kind so a much earlier date would have been doable. I think I lost most of the time in the beginning: upon seeing Shaka close by, I went into panic mode (I usually play Deity where he is responsible for many BC losses) and decided to choke him. He made many Archers in his capital while my Axemen and Cats camped there, which was fine - but that army of mine could have taken all of Ramesses' cities in the meantime since he didn't even have Archery at that time.

I settled fourteen cities on my own, then started conquering - first Shaka, then Ramesses with Maces and Cats, then Hannibal once I reached Cuirassiers. Ended the game with twenty-six cities and never set foot on the other continent (except towards the end when Monty made me go to war with the Incas via AP - I upgraded a Trireme to a Destroyer, ate some Caravels, and made peace again).

Oracled only Code of Laws because I'm always paranoid about losing this wonder and didn't think the AI would be THAT slow. After teching Civil Service and some other useful techs, beelined Astronomy for the trade routes, then Communism since I just couldn't get a Great Engineer for Mining Inc. anyway.

Hit about four thousand beakers in the end (five thousand in a twelve-turn Golden Age, of which I had six in this game). I'm not sure how you go about hitting one tech/turn in the Modern era since I was already close to the Domination limit and had almost all cities fully equipped with all necessary buildings and improvements.

Thanks for the game, even though I could have done better I had great fun playing it!

1715 culture

really late, but decided for culture in AD, in BC never built a single temple even :p

I wasted some turns at the end, but lost better date in the midgame, I should have put all possible forces on getting Biology earlier. Shaka's capital, NEpic + NPark was fantastic for culture victory:3 farms, 1 winery, 1 mine, 14 free artist from forest preserves. I cannot even imagine what will it bring when playing philo leader!

Of course I have never made Steles obsolete, went to Biology omitting Astronomy

I have Civ installed through steam and can play HOF games no problem. but when they removed Punkbuster I was unable to play Game of the Month has anyone here been able to fix this problem? I have asked it in many other posts elsewhere but have had no response.

Hey, I don't know the answer, but here you'll have it for sure!

Welcome to GOTMs :rockon:!!!

1660 domination. Killed off one civ on my continent and was close to killing the second before I realized Carthage wasn't going to trade with just me so I tried to save the 2nd to last civ but never really got anything from Carthage.

Beelined to Astro and finally built some ships to start the conquest of the Americas for a Dom win in 1660.

America was a hindu love-fest and SB had built the AP.

Kind of funny, this was the exact same situation in my game.

I left America alone and went for Space in this game. I ended up with a 1903 win. This game quite possibly had the fewest tech trades of any game I've ever played. Even when the AI managed to research a tech I didn't already have, they sat on them and wouldn't trade!

On top of that, my intercontinental trade routes were disrupted at least 4 times. I assume this was because they kept approving the 'Stop trading with the infidels' proposal through the AP. I was seriously annoyed by this, so on the last turn of the game I nuked the Hindu holy city. :mwaha:

I should've made my move militarily a lot earlier. I was intrigued by the Oromo's, so I built and drafted a bunch of them and then upgraded them to Rifles around 1350 AD. I used them to wipe out Shaka, mostly because he's Shaka and he was a neighbor. I decided to finish off Ramesses too (Shaka was in the process of killing him), but Ram vassaled himself to Hannibal. Well, I decided I wasn't going to have that and I DoW'd both of them. I didn't actually attack Hannibal, but in retrospect I should have. I went into the endgame with 23 cities. I could have self-teched everything a lot faster if I had just taken the whole continent for myself.

This one was fun and frustrating for me. Fun because I had lots of cities and was powerful enough to build them up without the AI coming in and destroying and civ. Frustrating for a few reasons:

1) I decided early on to try to get a religious victory. Founded Judaism the the Egyptians beat me to the AP so I had to capture it and convert to Christianity. SB was friendly enough that I could get some missionaries into his land and I was even able to convert him eventually. The Aztecs and Incas would not open their borders so I had to attack them. SB was nice enough to give my forces a jumping off point but I'm a builder not a fighter so my initial attack in the heart of Incaland fizzled. I switched course and captured alot of the weaker Aztec cities, flew over some missionaries and abandoned an Aztec city after spreading Christianity there. So now all civs were at least voting members but I was never even able to get an election for the win.

2) It was weird because by the time this was going on someone (the Inca?) built the UN. I held off from Mass Media the entire game so there were still AP elections but I also got voted in as Secretary General of the UN. Tried for the diplo win a couple times but was a few votes shy.

3) So rather late I decided a space win was better than nothing so I started building the ship. After I launched it I figured I'd declare on the evil Inca/Aztec axis since my Egyptian and Zulu vassals would vote for me. My great friend SB might just be persuaded to join the war and hence vote for me, too, if another vote came up. Heck, maybe I could even bribe Hannibal to join in. Well, imagine my surprise when all four of them declared war on me and then started throwing nukes around to boot! (I only realize now as I write this what happened: I had also run through a defensive pact with all members int he AP elections. I forgot everyone was a member near the end. :hammer2: So instead of coasting through the last turns while my space ship cruised to Alpha Centauri I had to fight a modern age world war.

4) The final frustration came after I pressed enter to end my turn two turns away from victory: The Inca spaceship landed first. :splat:

The map was perfect for a space attempt, and I dont usually need much excuse to aim for space, so that is what I went for.

I went for a corperation based approach, settling 40 cities in Africa, and putting Mining Inc (23 hammers) and Sushi (12 foods) in all of them.

My warring was a bit clumsy, and I might have taken Africa some 10 turn slower then I should, so I am sure quite a bit better dates are possible, but on the plus side, I did bassically hit the Tech-a-turn-promissed-land, topping out at 7300 bpt (without pre-requisite bonus), which allowed me to research the lass 14 spaceship techs in 15 turns (and another 10 techs during the 10 turns the ship was travelling.) This was of course during my 5th (Taj, and 10 great peaps in total) Golden age.

I am very happy with the end game efficiency... I needed to start a couple of cities to get the few last beakers for the last tech, but all 16 parts finished on the same turn, launching on the second turn after finishing research, and 13 turns after rocketry.

And result was a landing just before 1700, and I dont really remember the final score, but would guess about 160K.

For whatever reason, I did not get a confirmation e-mail when I submitted this time... :confused:

Domination 1350AD for around 340k points. Could have won around 1100AD, but figured I would rise my score a bit before getting those last 2% (a 1100AD victory would have granted me 200k points), esp since I was very close to getting biology. In the end had about 50 cities, most of them quite large since I basicly farmed everything.

Could have been a bigger score, since I still got +10K points every turn, but was getting bored managing such a large empire.

Went for culture. Hoped to get 3x50k before 1800 AD, but no luck...

Took Thebes very quickly, but spent too much time warring with Shaka (from 2500 BC till 1000 AD) because he was spamming cities like crazy. Then accidentally declared on Hana :hammer2:, but after taking one of his cities he agreed to peace. To prevent retaliation, I switched to Hana's religion and later brought a lot of gold to his holy city. Only then focused on culture and that was way too late for decent date...

In my game America was "hindu love-fest" as well, but later Monty vassaled SB and HC turned to Jesus, so the love was gone :lol:

Btw, this was weird.

On top of that, my intercontinental trade routes were disrupted at least 4 times. I assume this was because they kept approving the 'Stop trading with the infidels' proposal through the AP. I was seriously annoyed by this, so on the last turn of the game I nuked the Hindu holy city. :mwaha:

:lol: :goodjob:

I completed my dream of an Ormoro-dominated domination in 1590AD. I got 115 of them in the end :) A few trebs too but I tried to limit their usage to bombardment, except in extreme circumstances.

I was very rusty at the start, but the game got fun as it progressed. Vassaled everyone except for Sitting Bull to take me over the limit. Not many huge battles as it happened, because the two biggest unit-spammers (Zulus/Aztecs) were already at war when I declared on them. Would've knocked at least 10 turns off my finishing turn if I hadn't got a great prophet at 5% instead of a great scientist. BC Ormoros were on the cards if that happened.

After a disastrous second phase of the game I went for a time victory. The plan was to go for space and use culture to keep the AI at bay.

I started out strong managing to create a line of cities across the borders with Ramses and Shaka and down toward the southern coast. This was to preserve the eastern half of the continent for me. Ramses had three cities, Shaka a few more. I had linked up the copper and built up an army after seeing Shaka next door.

I'm sure Shaka was pissed because the culture from my city on the border was pushing his border city toward a flip. I Dow'd on Ramses just as he got his horses hooked up and was already to take his capital when he got Shaka to declare. I made peace with Ramses for no gain and eventually peace with Shaka for some gold.

Of course this slowed down expansion and I unwisely settled a city in the SE without a defender who was on his way. Three turns later it was razed by the Barbs and then Hanni decided to fill in the southern part of the map AND take the horses that I had failed to notice. Horses were going to be a big part of my plan. I also lost out on the Pyramids by a turn or two after failing to explore quite far enough to see the stone to the NE.

Then Shaka decided to attack and got Ramses to join in. I had failed to keep track of two units that Ramses had wandering isolated in the NE, blocked by my culture from going home. Shaka's troops were destroyed and I managed to take his border city. Ramses managed to take my two cities to the North. Ramses had the AP and I knew the vote would go against me on everything so, I thought I would make peace with Shaka, take out Ramses and then go back for the Zulu. In one of the smoothest AI moves ever, I made peace with Shaka who vassaled Ramses in the IBT and as a result I was blocked from retaking my two cities on the next turn with my troops teleported home. :mad:

Of course I eventually crushed Ramses and then on to Shaka who vassaled to Hannibal with his last four cities. I wasn't quite ready for war with Hannibal who had gotten comparably powerful. At this point my early space timeline was shot and I wasn't sure whether to continue to space or the UN.

When Hannibal DOW'd on SB I waited a couple turns then proceeded to wipe him out. Now I had the continent to myself and found that it would be necessary to take some land from the other continent to get a domination win. I wasn't against it, but decided a space win would be easier and I would try to run my score up. HC suddenly seemed to find the secret to rapid tech advancement and he wouldn't share! The tech pace seemed to crawl with the other AIs hopelessly behind and so a respectable date for space was out of the question. I decided instead to just go for a time victory and see what kind of a score I could get. HC got close enough to make the risk of him completing a spaceship too much so I moved my armies to his continent via open border with Monty (Thanks!) HC was soon gone as I razed his cities. SB was the only who managed to have any of the wonders that I did not build or "acquired". I then proceeded to eliminate Monty and took SB down to one city.

My aim was to maximize my score. I couldn't take any more land as I was close to the limit. I had nearly all the wonders so there wasn't much chance of improving that score component, I was steadily growing my population and was increasing my future tech acquisition at about 2 turns apiece. I figured that by razing the AI cities I would raise my percentage of population quickly but this did not seem to have an effect.
So I ended with a whole lot of future tech and a score of around 16K.

1575 space with 330K points.22 GP are generated.

I rarely played space game, and this is my second try. Some new experiences need to be written down:

1. start golden age at right time when there're high ROI projects, but don't forget the compound interest.
2. lumber mill is powerful now with railroad.
3. I forgot the halved cost of factory and went sushi first, which might be a wrong decision.
4. mine inc should be founded 40 turns before spaceship launch and only 8~9 turns are needed between Apollo program completion and space ship launch.
5. Steam is underestimated. Actually the 50% faster workers are amazing.
6. The overseas city to grab corporation resources should have been settled earlier.
7. The headquarter should have been built at a city with high production.

Domination 1350AD for around 340k points. Could have won around 1100AD, but figured I would rise my score a bit before getting those last 2% (a 1100AD victory would have granted me 200k points), esp since I was very close to getting biology. In the end had about 50 cities, most of them quite large since I basicly farmed everything.

Could have been a bigger score, since I still got +10K points every turn, but was getting bored managing such a large empire.

After a disastrous second phase of the game I went for a time victory. The plan was to go for space and use culture to keep the AI at bay.

I started out strong managing to create a line of cities across the borders with Ramses and Shaka and down toward the southern coast. This was to preserve the eastern half of the continent for me. Ramses had three cities, Shaka a few more. I had linked up the copper and built up an army after seeing Shaka next door.

I'm sure Shaka was pissed because the culture from my city on the border was pushing his border city toward a flip. I Dow'd on Ramses just as he got his horses hooked up and was already to take his capital when he got Shaka to declare. I made peace with Ramses for no gain and eventually peace with Shaka for some gold.

Of course this slowed down expansion and I unwisely settled a city in the SE without a defender who was on his way. Three turns later it was razed by the Barbs and then Hanni decided to fill in the southern part of the map AND take the horses that I had failed to notice. Horses were going to be a big part of my plan. I also lost out on the Pyramids by a turn or two after failing to explore quite far enough to see the stone to the NE.

Then Shaka decided to attack and got Ramses to join in. I had failed to keep track of two units that Ramses had wandering isolated in the NE, blocked by my culture from going home. Shaka's troops were destroyed and I managed to take his border city. Ramses managed to take my two cities to the North. Ramses had the AP and I knew the vote would go against me on everything so, I thought I would make peace with Shaka, take out Ramses and then go back for the Zulu. In one of the smoothest AI moves ever, I made peace with Shaka who vassaled Ramses in the IBT and as a result I was blocked from retaking my two cities on the next turn with my troops teleported home. :mad:

Of course I eventually crushed Ramses and then on to Shaka who vassaled to Hannibal with his last four cities. I wasn't quite ready for war with Hannibal who had gotten comparably powerful. At this point my early space timeline was shot and I wasn't sure whether to continue to space or the UN.

When Hannibal DOW'd on SB I waited a couple turns then proceeded to wipe him out. Now I had the continent to myself and found that it would be necessary to take some land from the other continent to get a domination win. I wasn't against it, but decided a space win would be easier and I would try to run my score up. HC suddenly seemed to find the secret to rapid tech advancement and he wouldn't share! The tech pace seemed to crawl with the other AIs hopelessly behind and so a respectable date for space was out of the question. I decided instead to just go for a time victory and see what kind of a score I could get. HC got close enough to make the risk of him completing a spaceship too much so I moved my armies to his continent via open border with Monty (Thanks!) HC was soon gone as I razed his cities. SB was the only who managed to have any of the wonders that I did not build or "acquired". I then proceeded to eliminate Monty and took SB down to one city.

My aim was to maximize my score. I couldn't take any more land as I was close to the limit. I had nearly all the wonders so there wasn't much chance of improving that score component, I was steadily growing my population and was increasing my future tech acquisition at about 2 turns apiece. I figured that by razing the AI cities I would raise my percentage of population quickly but this did not seem to have an effect.
So I ended with a whole lot of future tech and a score of around 16K.

Good job.

No chance to get gold and cow this time. What a pity.

Lazy 1370 conquest victory for ~150K score.

Took out Shaka 1st, then Ramesses. Vassaled Hannibal, then Montezuma. Afterwards simultaneously warred against Sitting Bull and Huayna Capac, vassaling then on the same turn.

Started out with trebs and ended with cannons and grenadiers.

Should have gotten a better date, but was not focused on conquest and messed up the galleon chain across the oceans. A pre 1000 AD conquest is possible here, I believe.

Just submitted my incomplete game. Retired just so I could get it in before the deadline. Was controlling the world handily in the 1600's, on my way to religious, cultural, ?and? domination victories... oops!
Not very focused, as I had over 10 sessions and still didn't finish the game.
Botched an early war with Egypt, it took far too long to destroy them. Thebes became my money city, SIP capital became my great person farm, 1N of copper became my production city, and those three were my culture cities. My calvary were beating Shaka's Impi, I was working on getting my religion to Aztec lands, and I could break even at 100% science. It got a little boring, but my own dumb fault for trying Adventurer. Won't make that mistake again.

I haven't played a GOTM since 2005 and it was for Civ 2. Had a revisiting of C-IV and kind of got hooked all over again and seeing a chance to do a GOTM at Prince/Noble played a large part in that. I played Adventurer since I don't usually win at Prince but always win at Noble so I liked the compromise.

So I got a Culture victory in 1984. I didn't dominate anyone because I half-measure my way through all of the game's endeavors and I typically play nice anyway. Egypt offered to be my peace vassal which made my day because I'd never had anyone do that, so I accepted for the life experience. Ramesses was my homie and Shaka and Dido got jealous and DoW'd me so I got to pick a few of their cities to occupy. I'm mad that I let SB beat me to Rock 'N' Roll by 3 turns and Huayna beat me to The UN by 2 turns but such is life in the first no-reload game I've ever played. I didn't even use the culture slider or build culture because I didn't really want the party to end, and what difference would it have made anyway. Not like I had a badge on the line other than slowest cultural.

If I could have had 50 more turns though I would have wiped Huayna off the map because he DoW'd early in the game for no other reason than to kill my caravel+explorer with his Frigate for 1XP.

1575 space with 330K points.22 GP are generated.

I rarely played space game, and this is my second try. Some new experiences need to be written down:

1. start golden age at right time when there're high ROI projects, but don't forget the compound interest.
2. lumber mill is powerful now with railroad.
3. I forgot the halved cost of factory and went sushi first, which might be a wrong decision.
4. mine inc should be founded 40 turns before spaceship launch and only 8~9 turns are needed between Apollo program completion and space ship launch.
5. Steam is underestimated. Actually the 50% faster workers are amazing.
6. The overseas city to grab corporation resources should have been settled earlier.
7. The headquarter should have been built at a city with high production.

That's a good space date and a very impressive total score! Much harder to get over 300k point space victory than domination victory.

Lumber mills are powerfull, but you usually get them way to late for them to matter. It's almost always better to chopp and use the land (farm/workshop) than waiting for combustion and railroads.

Top Bottom