Patch Thoughts?

I for one am extremely happy with the new patch. I feel like they addressed most of the bugs, and fixed diplomacy (or at least peace treaties) A LOT. I'll be excited to play my first game of the patch. :D

What are your thoughts about the new patch? Will diplomacy be easier or harder? Will the AI prove to be harder to deal with in combat?

It is going to be infuriating to play against Greece. I can see it now... turn 40, all of a sudden greece shows up with 6 phalanxes, 4 Comp Cav, 2 catapults, and 4 Comp. bowmen and proceeds to burn down every single tile you've improved... Ugh I hate going against companion cavalry...

Do Yoink achievement now before patch because I never see AI's build more than 10 units. Also Sacred Water not include cities next to lake? >_>

I for one think that it might be easier to make peace deals with the AI, but I still think they need to add some war weariness factor into play to make it better.

I LOVE the pillaging adds 25 hp. Although I'll have to be more careful holding off the turn 70 rushes. I can't just dance my workers around anymore, as now the AI will hopefully pillage more!

Better “Next Unit” selection. Previously, the camera would jump great distances to select the next unit that needs orders, when a closer unit was available.
Unit cycling improvement: when a unit is promoted, do NOT cycle immediately off that unit.
These two improvements to unis are much appreciated.

All in all I like what I see in the new patch. I am glad they brought battleships back down to size. The AI will have several interesting fixes. One interesting thing is that the AI will liberate cities it has conquered, which leads me to think it will be more willing to attain its objectives. Even in the current version, I have had some tough battles with the AI. They have also flavored all the civs for anti-air and air-carrier.

I wonder if a DLC is around the corner, it should be.

Better “Next Unit” selection. Previously, the camera would jump great distances to select the next unit that needs orders, when a closer unit was available.
Unit cycling improvement: when a unit is promoted, do NOT cycle immediately off that unit.

This should help when watching VidLPs too, which will be nice.

There`s a Patch?

AI adjustments to Wonder build priorities.
I would like more information about this change.

I would like more information about this change.

Me too. It's bad enough that all but 5 or 6 wonders are unattainable on Deity; the last thing we need is for NONE to be attainable. Hopefully wonders like the Great Library and Hanging Gardens will actually be possible to get on high levels.

Added "Restart Game" option to game menu. This option lets you restart the game and generate a new map using your current pregame settings. It's only available at Turn 0.
Here is a change which should be popular.

Tall/Wide Religion Balance Change: Add Grand Temple (National Wonder)
A new National Wonder. We'll see how this affects the game.

Do we need to redo the National Wonder Elimination Thread? :lol:

I like most of what I saw, but one thing scares me. Austria is getting a nerf, but on the other hand, they are getting the ability to destroy 2 resources permanently. With the change to mercantile CS's, once they buy one, that lux under it is gone forever.

Even though it will be harder for them to do so, they will be able to disrupt the game even more than now.

so, i read the patch notes and got excited by a lot of it. i just loaded up a deity Korea standard game and this happens:

Met Japan on turn 9. Sold him my first lux (Copper) around t30. He asks for DoF. on t32. Sold an embassy to Catherine on same turn. Japan denounces me on t33. Then he asks for straight up embassy trade on 34. How does any of that make sense? Later on Ottomans dow'd me and Japan dow'd Ottomans on unrelated turns. I joined the battle and used my CBowman to attack his nearest city but a barbarian was in the way. I cleared the barb so I could keep attacking. Japan denounced me right after it. What?! He was at war with Ottomans as well.

By turn 90 Japan and Greece DoWd me. Both of them were at war with Ottomans. Greece did it because I settled "near" him (10 tiles from his nearest city). At first he asks me not to settle on lands he deemed his own. I agreed and settled my 3rd city further away, about 15 tiles from his nearest city. He said my word was worthless and denounced me.

In Greece's list of reasons it had 1) He coveted lands I own 2) had become friends with people he was at war with and 3) Was friendly with someone they had denounced. The only problem with that was I became Friends with Catherine before they were at war with Greece, and France, who i didnt have a DoF with but was friendly, was denounced by Greece after I became friendly with France.

I'm really hoping a lot of things really were fixed but AI diplo doesnt make as much sense as I thought it would. I was playing Korea because I didnt see any mention of fixing the Hwacha bug so I thought Id test that out. I rage quit when Japan and Greece joint dow'd me and took 2 of my cities in 4 turns. I'm going to give it another try and see what happens, but I was a bit too excited to think it was "great" now. Im sure the other conveniences will be really nice but this patch is quite large in what they fixed. It will take a while to see many of the fixes in action.

it's in the general discussion, or on the front page of civfanatics.com

you're welcome.

Said `you`re welcome` a bit quick (supposed to be AFTER I say thankyou) , but thanks anyway.

It is going to be infuriating to play against Greece. I can see it now... turn 40, all of a sudden greece shows up with 6 phalanxes, 4 Comp Cav, 2 catapults, and 4 Comp. bowmen and proceeds to burn down every single tile you've improved... Ugh I hate going against companion cavalry...

Me too. It's bad enough that all but 5 or 6 wonders are unattainable on Deity; the last thing we need is for NONE to be attainable. Hopefully wonders like the Great Library and Hanging Gardens will actually be possible to get on high levels.

I like most of what I saw, but one thing scares me. Austria is getting a nerf, but on the other hand, they are getting the ability to destroy 2 resources permanently. With the change to mercantile CS's, once they buy one, that lux under it is gone forever.

Even though it will be harder for them to do so, they will be able to disrupt the game even more than now.

The game should be very hard/challenging on Deity with only a few people being able to win at that level (normal, uncooked games).

The first comment on Greece is one of the reasons I kept voting for them and at higher difficulties, most civs should play like them (using their strengths). Austria did not need a nerf but ti did need a tweak and sounds like they got it right (on paper). Again, going up against X should be hard in general at higher difficulties.

As far as wonders, I wouldn't say any wonder is unattainable. At higher levels, they are much harder to get (as it should be) but if you focus your priorities, you can get any particular wonder (at the expense of losing, perhaps). You're not going to get many, nor should you. (Check MadDjinn's Mayan game and see how many he got.) The point is at Immortal+, you should be capturing wonders, not building them.

so, i read the patch notes and got excited by a lot of it. i just loaded up a deity Korea standard game and this happens:

Met Japan on turn 9. Sold him my first lux (Copper) around t30. He asks for DoF. on t32. Sold an embassy to Catherine on same turn. Japan denounces me on t33. Then he asks for straight up embassy trade on 34. How does any of that make sense? Later on Ottomans dow'd me and Japan dow'd Ottomans on unrelated turns. I joined the battle and used my CBowman to attack his nearest city but a barbarian was in the way. I cleared the barb so I could keep attacking. Japan denounced me right after it. What?! He was at war with Ottomans as well.

By turn 90 Japan and Greece DoWd me. Both of them were at war with Ottomans. Greece did it because I settled "near" him (10 tiles from his nearest city). At first he asks me not to settle on lands he deemed his own. I agreed and settled my 3rd city further away, about 15 tiles from his nearest city. He said my word was worthless and denounced me.

In Greece's list of reasons it had 1) He coveted lands I own 2) had become friends with people he was at war with and 3) Was friendly with someone they had denounced. The only problem with that was I became Friends with Catherine before they were at war with Greece, and France, who i didnt have a DoF with but was friendly, was denounced by Greece after I became friendly with France.

I'm really hoping a lot of things really were fixed but AI diplo doesnt make as much sense as I thought it would. I was playing Korea because I didnt see any mention of fixing the Hwacha bug so I thought Id test that out. I rage quit when Japan and Greece joint dow'd me and took 2 of my cities in 4 turns. I'm going to give it another try and see what happens, but I was a bit too excited to think it was "great" now. Im sure the other conveniences will be really nice but this patch is quite large in what they fixed. It will take a while to see many of the fixes in action.

Ummm....that patch will not be out for a while.

when i loaded the game through steam, my game read that it was "updating". i thought it was the patch. although, now that you mention it, Ottoman and Japan didnt try to pillage a single tile. that could have been a clue for me, haha.

oh well. bummer. wish there was a date for the patch in the notes (unless I didnt see it).

Top Bottom