TSG134 After Actions

Hammer Rabbi

Deity
GOTM Staff
Welcome to the TSG134 After Actions Report. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

STOP - Please do not continue reading this thread until you have completed and submitted your game.

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

- Were you the first to the World Congress?
- How many vote sessions did it take to win?
- Beyond City States, where did any extra votes come from?
- How many tech did you steal through conquering? Which ones?

Please use spoiler tags for any surprise details you'd like kept hidden. Thanks.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). Please refrain from posting videos until the deadline for submission is over.

Game status: Diplomacy Victory
Game date: 1580AD
Turns played: 226
Base score: 1593
Final score: 3540

Would've most likely been faster if I just went for a peaceful 3-4 city Tradition, but I wanted to conquer cities because Assyria. All 7 AIs declared on me at some point in the mid-game and kept suiciding units into me, and Harun actually got wiped by one of my CS allies. :goodjob: I got some nice peace deals out of those wars. T130-160 were pretty painful happiness-wise, but I ended up with a pretty nice 8-city empire:
Spoiler :
No, I was delaying it to have a shot at a 1-cycle win. Siam founded it around T150
Two, I proposed World's Fair on the first one, but it didn't pass because I spent all my delegates to downvote Arts Funding
4 from Portugal for reviving them, 2 from World Ideology Freedom, 5 from Diplomats
Iron Working, Civil Service when it was on 1 turn left to research anyway, Guilds, Chivalry, Steel. This probably adds up to like 8 turns of research.

I don't believe so. I was not focusing in on the congress, I was building on my Tech at that time.
2 or 3. I believe it was the third vote, but on the 3rd one it wasn't close with 39/35 votes for me.
I was 2nd to an Ideology, so I was able to bribe the others who didn't have one to go Freedom with me. Iroquois was none too happy. I was able to secure all the city states. I was also able to put 5 diplomats in cities with Globalization. Does World Religion give you some too? I was able to power my way with a World Religion once I had most of the city states.
0. The only wars I fought were defensive. (and there was a lot).

Game date: 1926AD
Turns played: 346
Base score: 795
Final score: 1152

So, first let me say, not only was this my first Game of the Month, it was my first time playing on Immortal, and I won. The capital was in a good spot, but my other two cities were meh. Portugal forward settled me on the other side of my empire, I wasn't able to get a settler over there in time.

After that I was focused on getting my tech up as quickly as possible with 3 city tradition. No wars in the early game, and none in the early mid game. Once the others caught on that I was getting all the city states, I was in wars a lot. This didn't help with getting money, but at the end I fended them off, build up my cargo ship fleet and was pulling in 200GPT, which was more than enough to secure the last of the city states.

The location wasn't fantastic, but it was VERY defensible. So I was able to defend against attacks from all sides with no problems. Going Freedom helped, with the foreign legion. (Which were really my only real troops at the time.) It was about that time that, that is when the warring started.

I can't wait for next month, and I'll have to try immortal again.

So, first let me say, not only was this my first Game of the Month, it was my first time playing on Immortal, and I won.

Welcome to GotM and I'm glad you got your first Immortal win! Thanks for posting and another game is coming soon. We offer games twice a month, on the 1st and 15th. Good luck and have fun.

HR

Very exciting game. I was flying high, but unfortunately Pocatello was flying even higher on the other end of the map. He conquered so many of the city states, that I wasn't able to get enough votes. Eventually it was just him and I left on the map and his military was much more powerful than mine. I guess there are no real friends in Autocracy :mischief:

I won the world's fair during a Golden Age and managed to pop a Great Writer in the middle of it all, but it wasn't enough to hold off the culture victory. Pocatello had already DoW on me and I don't think I was going to be able to hold. His military was several times larger than mine.

I conquered Arabia, Portugal, and finished off Hiawatha. Pocatello killed the rest.

Game status: Culture Loss
Game date: 1902AD
Turns played: 322
Base score: 1515
Final score: 1515
Time played: 3:26:00

I don't think so.

- How many vote sessions did it take to "win"?
31, but I could only muster 22. I had a chance at the vote the exact turn before I lost. If there was a way to get more, it would have been a real squeak of a win.

My trouble was that Pocatello conquered a bunch of them and I didn't have the naval power to go liberate them.

3 late Ren techs as I rolled through Arabia.

Game date: 1914AD
Turns played: 334
Base score: 2426
Final score: 3675
Time played: 7:48:00

Settled in place. Tradition opener and then Honor opener before completing Tradition. I completed a few missions to get some early CS friends and allies and set up four cities. One of these cities was south of Mecca as the Portuguese encroached on my territory. I also founded a city on the northern island. During this time the AI expanded rapidly and built most of the wonders until Renaissance.

I decided to invade Arabia with Portuguese help. I took Mecca and let the Portuguese take Medina. I was delighted with Mecca as it gave me a religion that had been spread to a number of cities, desert folklore and the ability to build pagodas and research buildings (pretty neat, huh?).

My cunning plan was to bring the Arabs back to life when I went after Portugal. It worked beautifully and contributed to my eventual victory. I tried to pull the same trick when I invaded Portugal and then Siam, but it didn't work - perhaps because I killed Portugal.

Eventually, I beat up Siam having kept her at war most of the game with her neighbors (in my game Siam was very powerful) and only made peace when she had two battered cities remaining (for 3000 gold!). The Siamese gold and selling most of my impressive military bagged me the remaining city states and with Arabic support I won the first Diplomatic Victory vote.

It felt a slow game technologically and I put that down the AI constantly warring (due to my bribes) and that I was forced to move from Freedom into Autocracy (after I got the Foreign Legion). Autocracy has it's uses, but I don't rate it compared to Freedom and Order.

I felt I handled the AI pretty well this game and avoided being hated despite being a warmonger. I don't think the UA was that useful as the overall tech rate was quite slow, but I did like the seige towers.

I do wonder if I would have been better served playing peacefully, but that was never going to happen ;)

Attachments

• BNW 134a.jpg
    BNW 134a.jpg
    459.6 KB · Views: 213
  • BNW 134b.jpg
    BNW 134b.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 119
Game date: 1929AD
Turns played: 349
Base score: 1899
Final score: 2752
Time played: 15:11:00

One of the slowest games I've recently played. These AIs were unexpectedly aggressive for immortal. I was at war almost every 10-20 turns for the entire game. Except for Siam, I've been in wars with every other AI. In the end have to DoW Morocco even though we were friends to keep CS allies because he would constantly buy CS.

- Were you the first to the World Congress? No, my tech was horrible at the beginning due to REX and constant wars.
- How many vote sessions did it take to win? 2, there were not enough votes first one due to conquered CS and not enough diplomats due to wars. Also there were no other source of votes for 1st due to not having FP/WI/WR.
- Beyond City States, where did any extra votes come from? 4 from Globalization diplomats, 2 from current host, 2 from world ideology, 2 from previous attempts, 4 from liberating Portugal.
- How many tech did you steal through conquering? Which ones? I didn't have much extra troops since I was almost in constant wars and had to keep some for defense. Only got 2 techs overall. Gunpowder and Navigation.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 134
Your name: Yarin
Game date: 1840AD
Turns played: 290
Base score: 920
Final score: 1586
Time played: 4:20:00

Played really slow, peaceful 3 city liberty :eek: game. Beaten by Ahmad on FP by 3 turns :(. Missed info era by 1 (!!) turn, but probably wouldn't be able to win on first attempt anyways. Thought this would be really crappy finishing time, but from what I see, it may not be as bad after all.

No chance.
1. Won with 35/35, DOW'ed Morocco turn before the vote to prevent CS steals.
World ideology (order). Didn't manage to push world religion through on 2 attempts even though I had majority on half of the map.
Not a single one.

Your name: sebtanic
Game date: 1872AD
Turns played: 306
Base score: 1710
Final score: 2803

No

Won the 1st World Leader vote

2 from Forbidden Palace, 2 from World Ideology, 2 from World Religion, 4 from Portugal, 4 from Celts, 4 from Globalization. Had a total of 48 votes (36 needed) :goodjob:

Quite a few, though I didn't keep track which ones. Let's see: 2 cities from Arabia, then 2 from Portugal. Then I got DOWed by Iroquois, I think I took two of his cities in total, one of which I razed. Afterwards I stayed peaceful till Artillery, then attacked Siam. Took 3 of his cities, and the last tech I got from conquering was Electronics :D which made my late game a breeze.
Went on to liberate Portugal and Celts, but by then I was tech leader so didn't get any techs for those.

BTW I only ever met 12 city states, while in the game announcement it said 16... not to be nitpicking here but I kept searching the oceans for any hidden city states under the clouds :rolleyes:

Here's my turn log from the end game:
t265 - captured Siamese city - got Electronics :) (he took the city back next turn, but who cares)
266 - "Completely eclipsed" Siam, so made peace receiving 31gpt and 3 luxes
269 - GS bulbed Atomic Theory -> Atomic Era -> World Congress in Modern Era
272 - voted for World Ideology
273 - WI passed, 20 turns for next vote
273 - policy: sovereignity
278 - restored Portugal back to life
286 - Oxford: Telecommunications -> Information Era
286 - Prora -> Rationalism finisher -> Globalization :)
287 - Liberated Dublin (Celts)
287 - voted host
287 - gift from CS: Merchant of Venice :p
288 - 7 turns left - next vote 295
295 - World Religion (passed)
306 - Won with 48 votes (36 needed)

Probably would have been a quicker win with peaceful 4 city tradition, but that would have been a lot less fun! :)

BTW I only ever met 12 city states, while in the game announcement it said 16... not to be nitpicking here but I kept searching the oceans for any hidden city states under the clouds :rolleyes:

Some of those CSs might have been conquered so scan your opponents city lists (easier than getting Satellites, imo) to see if you recognize any of the names as City States. They can provide good liberating opportunities for votes you didnt have to buy with gold.

Glad you took the fun way through this one and stole several techs.

Some of those CSs might have been conquered so scan your opponents city lists (easier than getting Satellites, imo) to see if you recognize any of the names as City States. They can provide good liberating opportunities for votes you didnt have to buy with gold.

Oh I did... there really weren't any! If you look at the screenshots in this thread they also only have 12 CS.

(I still haven't figured out how to post screenshots here... is there a guide somewhere?)

Glad you took the fun way through this one and stole several techs.

Thanks, and thanks for making these games!

thanks, sebtanic. i did some investigating of my original save and you are correct, there are only 12 CSs but there were supposed to be 16. that is quite embarrassing for a Diplo game. my apologies for that tidbit being incorrect. i hope it didn't ruin some experiences beyond the already difficult terrain. i have now corrected that in the announcement.

HR

No worries, it wasn't a big problem, just made me wonder where the remaining 4 were ;)

@HR, How about getting these questions in the announcement thread? They are not really spoilers. These were not too back to reconstruct from memory, but that is not always the case! If I know the questions ahead of time, I can have better responses in the opening and after actions threads.

Thanks for the great game!

Game date: 1915AD
Turns played: 335
Base score: 1365
Final score: 2037
Time played: 33:43:00

Were you the first to the World Congress?
I am pretty sure I was not. I was the last WC host, so that was nice, since that keeps your portrait at the top of all the UN dialogs.

How many vote sessions did it take to win?
I won on the first WL vote. It seems to me the WL came late. How could I have sped that up? 38 votes, 35 needed. I had all the CS, diplomats everywhere, WR, and FP. Seems like the vote should have been even more overwhelming! Maria lost Lisbon just before the vote, so that was one Diplomat lost.

Beyond City States, where did any extra votes come from?
I had hit Globalization and passed World Religion early when Harun was hosting and had the CS tied up. I captured Medina from Harun, and he had built Forbidden Palace there.

How many tech did you steal through conquering? Which ones?
Zero. I only took one city, Medina, after Harun DOW’d me. But he had no tech. I wasted the UA and the UU.

Attachments

• civ5ss-gotm134-t336dv.jpg
    civ5ss-gotm134-t336dv.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 130
Game date: 1695AD
Turns played: 249
Base score: 1289
Final score: 2630
Time played: 6:51:00

...hmm, I kind of mis-timed WC.
I am not eniterly sure but it seems like loosing WTF by 32 hammers (which was a result of delaying my full commitment by 2-3 turns) resulted in reaching the info era too late because my culture was too weak to finish rati in time for free tech and faith GS => :(
Well but maybe I wouldn't have made it in time anyhow as it was very close.

Yes, founded in t155 and intended 2 cycles.

1 world leader vote, 3 WC cycles.

I did manage to get all requirements for a first vote win (which are quite tight with 12 CS).
World religion (not the one I founded though ;) )
World ideology (Order)
FP

Game date: 2008AD
Turns played: 428
Base score: 2810
Final score: 3305

Unexpected victory, as I was short of 1 vote on the final round and rushing to crush the Iroqouis due to them having completed all parts of the SS for Science Victory.

Took a domination route throughout the game and meddled heavily with politics, sending civs into wars against those in my way (first the Arabs, then Hiawatha, and finally Pocatello) and conquering them when they become weak enough. Way behind in Science (relied on conquering cities for boosts) and didn't catch up to Diplomacy until after 2 policy trees have been filled.

No. Iroqouis did, but I quickly bribed all the city state allies through out the mid to late game.

Plenty. Kept missing a few crucial votes due to other civs conquering city states and I couldn't buy them to my favor. Didn't exactly follow the Diplomacy path in my gameplay.

Completing research in Globalization and sending diplomats all over to civs that have not declared war on me.
World Idealogy - Order
Resurrecting the Celts

A lot. I've engaged in wars with all the civs and completely conquered the Arabians, most of Hiawatha, part of Portugal, and traded plenty of cities with Shosone (as they were closing to SS victory), so there were a steady stream of free sciences throughout the game.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 134
Date submitted: 2016-05-16 19:32:06
Reference number: 34376
Your name: ferenginar
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1973AD
Turns played: 393
Base score: 1007
Final score: 1007
Time played: 5:35:00
Submitted save: Ferenginar_TSG134_0394 AD-1974.Civ5Save
Renamed file: ferenginar_C513401.Civ5Save

I have submitted the file, as I played the game through, and didn't get killed. However, I would prefer that it not be officially counted as a submission, as I am certain that I have loaded the wrong file at mid-point. An unfortunate outcome from playing out a test game at the same time as the main game, just could wait to get started. Won't be making that mistake again.

My game was never going anywhere anyway, it was always about which AI would win and how. and whether or not I could avoid being wiped out. Good fun anyway.

Now for 135, and a bit more care.

I have submitted the file, as I played the game through, and didn't get killed. However, I would prefer that it not be officially counted as a submission, as I am certain that I have loaded the wrong file at mid-point. An unfortunate outcome from playing out a test game at the same time as the main game, just could wait to get started. Won't be making that mistake again.

My game was never going anywhere anyway, it was always about which AI would win and how. and whether or not I could avoid being wiped out. Good fun anyway.

Now for 135, and a bit more care.

Thanks for letting us know about the load. If you replayed any turns differently than before then we can exclude the submission. But if all you did was accidentally load the wrong file but then return to the appropriate autosave then it isn't a problem.

If you want, you can PM (private message) me with more details if you don't want to post about it here.

Thanks
HR

Top Bottom