The Deity Challenge Line-up #18 - Babylon OCC

consentient

Domination!
Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.

- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.

- We try for a variety of starts

- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.

- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

- - -

DCL Game #18

You: Babylon
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Continents

Starting Location:

Spoiler :

Settings: One City Challenge, Quick combat (turn it back on if you would like)

Everything else is set to default.

Game Version - 1.0.3.276

Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

- - -

Schedule

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 Babylon OCC
Spoiler :
Continents

Game #19 02/02/15 ???
Game #20 12/02/15 ??? Valentine's Day Special

- - -

I hope you all enjoy the map!

[For those of you who are used to Deity but have never tried a One City Challenge, here's your chance! For those of you who have tried before, here's a chance to improve your win time ;)]

- - -

If you have any comments, questions or would like to submit a map for consideration for future challenges, please send an email to: deitychallenge@outlook.com

Please note that submitted maps MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. Thanks.

budweiser challenge: drink 6 adult beverages while playing

I don't want to linger but in my thread where I asked for a good deity challenge you said that 18 DCL won't be a cakewalk.

Is something hidden because from screenshot I don't see it at all?

OCC doesn't necessarily mean harder game just obviously will take more turns to finish.

I don't consider Deity OCC to be a cakewalk and I think that most of the wider DCL community (for whom I post these maps) would agree with me. Of course OCC is harder. The one city cannot generate anywhere near the same science, culture, etc. There is a point beyond which the city starts to really lose out to civs that have many cities. As a top player, I am sure you know that although tradition 3/4 cities can get faster SVs than Liberty 6+, the longer the game goes on, the more Liberty begins to overtake it.

Listen, if you want harder maps, just keep re-rolling until you have a situation that has nothing going for it: no decent trade routes, hardly any luxes, etc., but asking people for difficult challenges and telling everyone how easy you find it, is just annoying, frankly. And as one of the first posts on a new challenge thread, I think it's borderline trolling, really.

Yes, it's Babylon. Yes, there is salt. But there will never be any more cities beyond this, and that is a challenge in itself that most people will hopefully enjoy.

If I'm wrong and they all hate it, they can appoint you 'Archdeacon of the One True Faith Challenge Series' and I will slink off quietly.

I was reading the rules or trying to find the rules but I couldn't locate them. I am not exactly sober so that might be the problem but I am guessing we can take cities? Are we only to puppet them or can we annex, I guess annexing would be two cities so I guess that can't happen lol! I haven't played OCC since budweiser posted that Poland OCC Domination Victory only game. Good fun, I think we had to raze all cities but capitals or maybe just puppet lol I can't remember. I was thinking of starting this game just now but I am a bit confused on what to do but like I said I'm not exactly sober.

About the maps for IronfighterXXX... I am not sure they make a map/challenge hard enough for this player. Perhaps it is time to go back to Civ 4 or wait for the next Civ game but I think Civ in general is not going to get harder but only easier. I think last I seen they sold 9 million copies of this easier game civ 5 compared to the harder game civ 4 beyond the swords and I think the number on that title was 6 million so I'm guessing they are going to cater to the masses for an easier Civ type of game.

There are no rules for the game. Only the built-in dynamics. OCC means that the human player can never have more than one city. Capturing a city starts automatic razing.

[EDIT: At the risk of feeding the troll, I've just thought of something else, IronFighterXXX (what does the XXX stand for?) - you've not posted ANY DCL results. Yes, you have the links in your signature to your sub-T200 victories on cooked maps. But part of what the DCL is about is sharing the story of your games with the community. If you're in your own God-tier of Civ 5 playerdom, why not show us how you do it? Think about it.]

I am purposely giving Salt away to the neighbors to see if it keeps peace all game long.

I was reading the rules or trying to find the rules but I couldn't locate them. I am not exactly sober so that might be the problem but I am guessing we can take cities? Are we only to puppet them or can we annex, I guess annexing would be two cities so I guess that can't happen lol! I haven't played OCC since budweiser posted that Poland OCC Domination Victory only game. Good fun, I think we had to raze all cities but capitals or maybe just puppet lol I can't remember. I was thinking of starting this game just now but I am a bit confused on what to do but like I said I'm not exactly sober.

About the maps for IronfighterXXX... I am not sure they make a map/challenge hard enough for this player. Perhaps it is time to go back to Civ 4 or wait for the next Civ game but I think Civ in general is not going to get harder but only easier. I think last I seen they sold 9 million copies of this easier game civ 5 compared to the harder game civ 4 beyond the swords and I think the number on that title was 6 million so I'm guessing they are going to cater to the masses for an easier Civ type of game.

In OCC you burn down (instantly! no razing turntime) anything that comes into your control, even CSs and capitols.
Although I would argue for OCC challenges, you're kinda very limited in your VCs (culture is impossible of course, unless you kill everyone but the culture gimp), domination is probably easier since you can't really "hold" onto the capitols..., diplo is a dice-roll which depends on whether or not the AIs decide to try and stop you. Science will be a VERY slow slog because of no mountain-coast (you get mountain, you'd lose the double trade route gold).

@consentient Take it easy man, I just asked a question.

I would say OCC is even easier than normal game in the sense that is less engaging because you don't have to think about city placement, build order etc it is pretty straightforward.

Yes it will take more turns to finish but it would really matter if AIs were able to finish game let's say sub 250T, now when you can win game sometimes even at 350T on deity it really doesn't matter (what is just silly in my opinion that AI can't play game at all)

I don't consider Deity OCC to be a cakewalk and I think that most of the wider DCL community (for whom I post these maps) would agree with me. Of course OCC is harder. The one city cannot generate anywhere near the same science, culture, etc. There is a point beyond which the city starts to really lose out to civs that have many cities. As a top player, I am sure you know that although tradition 3/4 cities can get faster SVs than Liberty 6+, the longer the game goes on, the more Liberty begins to overtake it.

Listen, if you want harder maps, just keep re-rolling until you have a situation that has nothing going for it: no decent trade routes, hardly any luxes, etc., but asking people for difficult challenges and telling everyone how easy you find it, is just annoying, frankly. And as one of the first posts on a new challenge thread, I think it's borderline trolling, really.

Yes, it's Babylon. Yes, there is salt. But there will never be any more cities beyond this, and that is a challenge in itself that most people will hopefully enjoy.

If I'm wrong and they all hate it, they can appoint you 'Archdeacon of the One True Faith Challenge Series' and I will slink off quietly.

Though I would argue that OCC is "easier" to play (harder to win of course); fewer decisions have to be made; no need to worry about happiness at all for instance, or ideological pressure for that matter (since even at rev wave the hit is tiny); it's easier to decide where to spend your gold too (if not CSs and rush-buying everything, what else?) Options are very limited so it's quite obvious usually what the "best" decision will be. As for as SP choices go... what idiot will not take tradition now for example...

I will say it is harder to win (to me, this is just testing people's luck as I don't know of anyone who claims to win deity OCC on a constant basis); luck such as WLTKD rolls (say you get a lux that is hidden in a corner where no one would settle ever and you can't even settle there yourself); luck such as AIs being stupid and not buying CSs... luck such as AIs deciding not to launch because they are so busy using their aluminum for military units, etc...

Impossible, you say? :confused:

How on earth are you going to get wonders? (no internal caravans)
You certainly CANT capture them...
And you can only get so lucky with landmarks within working city tiles...
And how exactly do you outtech the AIs to get archaeologists/wonders out faster than them?
And good luck winning IG on deity on one city...

Which leaves you only the option of total annihilation of everyone significant, then GM bomb your last victim.
Win a peaceful CV on this map, and I'll believe you, how about it? :lol:

Well peaceful CV IS possible: for the AI of course :lol: I can only imagine if there are few culture CSs you will get overrun by the 500+ tourism deity AIs have eventually if the game goes to 400 turns.

How on earth are you going to get wonders? (no internal caravans)
You certainly CANT capture them...
And you can only get so lucky with landmarks within working city tiles...
And how exactly do you outtech the AIs to get archaeologists/wonders out faster than them?
And good luck winning IG on deity on one city...

Which leaves you only the option of total annihilation of everyone significant, then GM bomb your last victim.
Win a peaceful CV on this map, and I'll believe you, how about it? :lol:

Well peaceful CV IS possible: for the AI of course :lol: I can only imagine if there are few culture CSs you will get overrun by the 500+ tourism deity AIs have eventually if the game goes to 400 turns.

I would imagine that if anyone can catch up and overtake the AI, then it's Babylon. I don't think you'll be able to get ALL the wonders, but a few of them, plus Hermitage, etc, could be OK. I've no idea about landmarks cuz I've never considered them. If you can manage to keep the rest of the world at war, I think a CV is possible...

This should be interesting, I've only played OCC once on deity as Byzantium(loss) and I've actually never played Babylon before.

Oh, this one is right up my alley, I absolutely love OCC games, though I've only managed an Immortal Korea G&K win. This is gonna be super fun, thanks :)

Spoiler :

Moved to the left and settled on a hill near the mountain. 96 turns in, I have a University already, hit Education by turn 93. A free GS early is just crazy! Finished Tradition and opened Commerce.

Got Oracle and Itza. If Bismarck doesn't decide to kill me next after killing George, I'm running away with this easily. Astronomy is gonna be hit fairly soon and then it's off to the other lands and see what's there. In the meantime I'll put up Guilds and then wait to get pressured. At this rate Sistine Chapel is easily mine, and Pisa just as likely. Then I'm gonna spam all the GSs, plant them on the crap tiles and just see if I can get this under 300.

If at any point Bismarck decides to kill me, well, that's all.

I'm fairly good at OCC games, I played exclusively those for about a month trying to get that achievement.

Turn 100:
Spoiler :

Edit: will probably go for a diplo victory instead for once, can't see me breaking 300tourism and with crappy faith meh, Culture doesn't seem practical on OCC deity without razing people (so might as well call it a domination victory at that point)

finding difficult saves for IronfighterXXX is no easy task, haha. he is a few octaves above par at this game.

Top Bottom