IA switching to communism

carniflex

Stratêgos
Has anyone seen it ?

I've just discovered the communist background_for_leader pic and notice i never saw it during the game.
Screenshots ?

Yes. I have seen it.. sorry though, I can't get any screenies for you due to the fact that I use pure DOS to play civ1.

Quotes from trada in Green
Yes. I have seen it.. sorry though, I can't get any screenies for you due to the fact that I use pure DOS to play civ1.

How pure is your dos?
I assume that you mean that you boot dos. I also only play CIV1 in dos.
There is a screen capture TSR. It saves screens in BMP format but there are plenty of utilities to convert to JPG
Screen Thief v2.01 freeware - Screen Capture for DOS

ftp://ftp.externet.hu/pub/mirror/sac/graph/st201f.zip

All of the civ screen I have posted were captured with Screen Thief.

Also if you are running dos you are the perfect candidate for CIV$

In searching through some old REPLAY.TXT files (16), I can not find a single incidence of a non-human player forming any of the following: Anarchy, Communist, or Democratic governments.
The people controlled by the game seem to only use Monarchy, Republic, or Despotism as their government types. Any one else find something different in their research?

Try again. Communism is rarely developed by the AI on lower levels.

I think I've seen it, but I can't prove it.

I only recollect some enemy civ with the USSR advisors telling me that their words were backed with nuclear weapons. Of course, any screenshot is long gone.

See? I'm not insane!

trada -- See? I'm not insane!
Being a CIV dos player your mental health condition is not a topic of debate.

Irish Caesar -- I think I've seen it, but I can't prove it.

I suggest that we form a Yeti committee to search for the elusive governments, namely Anarchy, Communist, or Democratic.

Thinking about this, I would like if everyone after they finish a game would open the REPLAY.TXT file with NOTEPAD. Look for each occurrence of "form" it will be followed by one of the six government types: Anarchy, Despotism, Monarchy, Communist, Republic, or Democratic. Of course we are not interested with the human player but only the countries controlled by the game. If any one finds Anarchy, Communist, or Democratic they could zip up the map & sve files and post then here. I thought there was nothing new to be learned about CIV dos, but may be it is as trada stated that it only happens at higher levels. I mostly play at King level but I don't think that has anything to do with it. I think the game just doesn't use Anarchy, Communist, or Democratic governments.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads10/YETI.zip

I have written a small dos program (that will run at a windows command prompt) it looks for the REPLAY.TXT file in the directory (folder) that YETI is run in, sp put it in wth you civ files. It scans the REPLAY.TXT file looking if any non-human country has ever formed one of the elusive governments. Games should be played with the AutoSave option on, so that if we find one of the elusive Yeti governments we can go back in time with a diplomat and request a audience with the king.

My suggestion is a the end every game we play, that we run the YETI program to check for the elusive governments. Or one could check with notepad.

Anyone in for a bit of tomfoolery?

.​

/in. My next game is in a few weeks though.. got exams coming up.

I think at some point or another i have seen all the govs except anarchy, but i may just be thinking of seeing my own advisors

if you want to see the elusive forms of goverment - easy - just swtich to the governemnt you want to see, then use some sort of editor program, swithc side, and try to meet them , and then , you can have a look at what it's like!

ahtsun said:
if you want to see the elusive forms of goverment - easy - just swtich to the governemnt you want to see, then use some sort of editor program, swithc side, and try to meet them , and then , you can have a look at what it's like!
Yes, that is easy. But that is not the point. The question is do they occur naturally within the game.
________​
As I was thinking about it I realized that part of the reason the one does not come across other CIV countries that are using the Communist government mode

The Communism advance comes late in the game.
The Pyramid wonder allows it also. (but it is one of the wonders I like to have. If only to save myself from a long period Anarchy when I inadvertently have unrest in a city).

Looking through some REPLAY.TXT files I see that Anarchy only seems to show up when the human country slips into Anarchy from city unrest rather than through Revolution. So it is easy to see why Anarchy does not show up for non-human countries as they never seem (I have yet to see it) go to Democracy.

from the manual: "choose the option "Revolution." After a few turns of Anarchy, a menu appears that lists the government options available to your civilization."

From observation it seems that the REPLAY.TXT file does not register this form of Anarchy.

I have manipulated the government bits of a non-human player
and sent a diplomat to see what sort of greeting I would get.
Is the hear now greetings always the same for
each type of government?

• Anarchy

...hear now the most exalted Mr.: Caesar of the Romans...

• Despotism

...hear now Caesar, ruler and Emperor of the Romans...

• Monarchy

...hear now he who makes mortals tremble: Caesar of the Romans...

• Communist

...hear now the most exalted Comrade: Caesar of the Romans...

• Republic

...hear now our most wise President: Caesar of the Romans...

• Democratic

...hear now the most exalted President: Caesar of the Romans...

(click image for larger view)​

Dack said:
Is the hear now greetings always the same for
each type of government?

I dont think so.

Irish Caesar said:
I think I've seen it, but I can't prove it.

I only recollect some enemy civ with the USSR advisors telling me that their words were backed with nuclear weapons. Of course, any screenshot is long gone.
yep. under difficult circumstances (some?) AI tribes -imho- prefer to switch from republic/democratic back to communism (if available in their list of sciences) - of course just late in the game.

OFF-TOPiC
while cheat-shifting-56 in DOS 474.01
i now did see (last night in game AI opponent's city-screen) that the AI virtually builds CARAVANS (that 'you''ll never see on 'your' gamescreen)
;)

Maybe caravans are invisible to other players. (Just like diplomats are)

Quotes from GoldBerg in Green
yep. under difficult circumstances (some?) AI tribes -imho- prefer to switch from republic/democratic back to communism (if available in their list of sciences) - of course just late in the game.

This is an interesting hypothesis but I don't think it holds up under investigation. Of course I may be mistaken but I can not find the game using anything but Monarchy, Republic, and Despotism for the government types of the games countries. Once again if anyone has a game that has a non-human country with Anarchy, Communist, or Democratic as a governments, put the map & sav files in a zip file and post it. Vague remembrance of seeing the Communist is not a proof. I think I remember seeing them too, but I am probably mistaken. I am just not sure! Look thorough any REPLAY.TXT files you might have. One would think that the Democratic government would be quite common. I would like to see one, but proof is with a map & sav file that can produce a REPLAY.TXT file with "____ form Democratic".

trada said:
Maybe caravans are invisible to other players. (Just like diplomats are)
(i think)
all AI tribes that have units connected to the other one can 'talk' with each other (=diplomacy / diplomat function)
that's -imho- the main reason why you see often an AI unit connected to another AI it's city/cities.

caravans maybe just like *BUiLD* ---> *connected to a known AI's city*
(i'm just guessing) ... like WONDERS...?

Top Bottom