Open source rewrite of the original Civilization game (1991) - OpenCiv1 Project

I plan for graphics to change in a way that the new graphics reminds of a old graphics as much as possible, yet, not so similar that copyright would be violated in any way.
Do you plan to keep the "use original Civ1 assets" feature, so that we'll keep the Civ1 graphics if we own the game ?

Do you plan to keep the "use original Civ1 assets" feature, so that we'll keep the Civ1 graphics if we own the game ?
Welcome,
That is a tough question... ;)

The practical thing is that the graphical resources are so low res that it looks funny on high res monitors.
The political thing is that the finished OpenCiv1 can't be distributed with these old resources (graphics and music) because they are copyrighted. So, we have to provide an alternative to those copyrighted resources.

I'm aware that most old gamers would like to use the the old graphics and music for different reasons, and I want to honor that.

I think the best approach would be to provide some kind of resource converter so people who own the game can use the original graphics and music as a plugin if they choose to.

Last edited:
Hello, i tested your last release. Really good job.
I just notice that the speed of the game is a lot slower than my dosbox release.
Do you think your game can be optimized, on this side ?

Regards

Humungus

I just notice that the speed of the game is a lot slower than my dosbox release.
Welcome,
Yes, with time ;)
I noticed that the speed is also different between GPUs.
There is still a lot of redundant code laying there, as I clean that up the things will get much faster...

With all the talk about bugs is there any value to creating github issues for all the original civ bugs I'm aware of (with links to threads here)? You could either fix them or leave them depending on how "authentic" to the original experience you want to be! Of course maybe you already have such a list.

With all the talk about bugs is there any value to creating github issues for all the original civ bugs I'm aware of (with links to threads here)? You could either fix them or leave them depending on how "authentic" to the original experience you want to be! Of course maybe you already have such a list.
No, I don't have such a list. I have a few bugs in my memory, that's all. I was planning to open it (The Bug thread) once I finish the codebase so it would be easier to fix, but we can discuss about them now, why not :)
Ok, I will create the new Bug thread for known Civilization bugs.

Well, if it's a bug (behavior that is clearly not intended or opposite to manual), for example:
- Arctic anomaly that doesn't properly map the squares and resources of the city.
- Copernicus laboratory which never obsoletes.
- Settlers that can activate multiple times in a turn.
...etc. then it should be fixed.

Last edited:

Regards

Humungus
I adjusted the timers and upped the speed, you can build from source if the speed bothers you ;)

Cheers 🍻

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I recall, versions 475.xx were never truly finalized and had a wonky AI behavior. I remember actively reverting to an older one.
The latest version that behaved properly was 474.05.
Wouldn't it be better to base this off of that?

The 474 and 475 part just refers to the type of media the game was distributed on. xxx.05 is the latest version regardless.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I recall, versions 475.xx were never truly finalized and had a wonky AI behavior. I remember actively reverting to an older one.
The latest version that behaved properly was 474.05.
Wouldn't it be better to base this off of that?

The 474 and 475 part just refers to the type of media the game was distributed on. xxx.05 is the latest version regardless.

I double checked from original MPS ftp archives. Yes, you are right, full version is 474.05 on floppy media, and as @Lord_Hill said 475.05 just refers to a CD version.
The funny thing is, it appears as two EXE files (474.05 and 475.05) are identical in every way (correct me if I'm wrong) ;)

Last edited:
I double checked from original MPS ftp archives. Yes, you are right, full version is 474.05 on floppy media, and as @Lord_Hill said 475.05 just refers to a CD version.
The funny thing is, it appears as two EXE files (474.05 and 475.05) are identical in every way (correct me if I'm wrong) ;)

I don't have them readily available, but I distinctly remember I had to revert to 474.05 back in the day due to AI issues with 475.

I don't have them readily available, but I distinctly remember I had to revert to 474.05 back in the day due to AI issues with 475.

Do you remember what were the AI issues that you encountered?

I'm just curious, perhaps we could test the AI in the same way on OpenCiv1 to see if these issues still persist, just to make sure?

Do you remember what were the AI issues that you encountered?

I'm just curious, perhaps we could test the AI in the same way on OpenCiv1 to see if these issues still persist, just to make sure?

If I remember correctly, the AI was too aggressive or something of the sort.
I'm not mixing it up with the Civ2/MGE issue. That's a separate thing in a different time.

Try playing a fresh game on both & see how it behaves. They're different. Something was up with 475.

Top Bottom