Poll: Have Cocoa-gate made you less likely to buy another game from firaxis ever?

Have Cocoa-gate made you less likely to buy another game from firaxis ever?

• Yes

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • No

Votes: 91 85.8%

• Total voters
I will wait until November 27th.

Then one full month has passed. That was the time I intended to give them to hotfix the latest patch. After that, I will look at the current patch as an act of...

Betrayal.

I'm sorry if I sound bitter, but I've experienced real betrayal from what I thought was a friend of mine.

Probably not, and I understand that finding out exactly what went wrong with the patch can be complicated, but at least an acknowledgment that they are aware of the problem and intend to fix it (or roll it back if no fix is found) would be a reasonable course of action imo.

Civ 5 is way past it's age, it's what. 4 years old? Very few games that aren't online-oriented (let's be real, Civ isn't as MP oriented, it's especially ciV 5)

If the lack of patch means they are working on a better Civ (Civ 6) then I could not care less.

No, but that is because I have already learned my lesson. Firaxis does not get my money for many months after initial release. I won’t be purchasing BE until sometime in 2015.

I'll not be getting Beyond Earth, but only because it isn't civ and I don't believe it would be immersive (for me).

As soon as civ6 is available, I'll get it (probably pre-order)! ... unless I am no longer computer-capable (gone blind, deceased, or whatever).

(I don't do the multi-player thingy; I have no problems with the Fall patch).

Cocoa and bison additions to civilization 5 were really impressive at first but now that beyond earth came out, the bison and cocoa additions seem to blend in like all the other things in civilization 5.

I wish this thread would help inform the low-info voter... what is Cocoa-gate all about?

Like others I have yet to touch BE, despite a lot of initial excitement. The reasons were the obvious ones.

I have to admit I'm pretty bummed that this patch was so destructive. There are online games and streams that really promote CiV and the brand that died post patch and were unable to revert to pre-patch.

That's pretty much unforgiveable in an online era of Steam Patches that auto-install. If Steam is the future, these kinds of self-inflicted wounds cannot occur and certainly can't linger for weeks.

I have played the game many times since the patch, and have sen no difference whatsoever other than gameplay changes (cocoa, bison, traditon, piety changes etc.). Can someone explain what "Cocoa-Gate" is?

Cocoa-gate? :rolleyes:

Multiplayer broken? Oh, right, not important then :D

I'm also a SP-only guy, and I suspect the vast majority of the CiV playerbase is as well, but it does suck for those who do enjoy MP that it gets broken by a patch when presumably CiV is not a big priority for Firaxis anymore. Hopefully they'll fix it, but I understand why MP people are pissed.

Yeah if your really animated about them breaking multiplayer your living in a bubble.

The reality is that CiV is one of the last single player oriented Prestige franchises around. Honestly if they FOCUSED on multiplayer they'd have a dramatically worse game. Just look at EAs disgusting attempt at forcing multiplayer down SimCity fans throats. It was insane.

Multiplayer for Civ is like back seats in sportcars, it's their but it's not exactly the focus of there product.

I haven't played CivBE yet because the reviews seem to be very BLAND on it. Alot of people seem to be desperately waiting on a patch to balance their game, the civs seem to lack personality and not a lot of differences between civs.

The good thing is that means that some of the core game is still great like affinities, tech Web instead of tree, customized start are all nice twists to the civ series but it's clear the game was taken out the oven too soon.

That has me hesitant to go out and blindly buy a Civ 6. And that's where Firaxis needs to be careful. This industry is very 1st week sales oriented and if every civ fan waits after a patch to buy any of their games then they won't be able to afford a team that can patch it in the first place. CiV vanilla had the same problem so they need to get their ducks in a row about that. Whether it means a bigger beta phase that's invite only for power players or a longer demo period for everyone before release, they need to make sure they have a fully realized game before official release. Developers need to stop operating as if the internet is their crutch. What if there was no internet? Would people have trusted firaxis enough to go to stores and buy G&K if we only had Vanilla before the patch?

Top Bottom