Preview and Request Thread

Balam-Agab

God King
I meant to make this thread a while ago, but work got the better of me. Anyway, better late than never.

Feel free to make requests in this thread as well, but I ask that you observe a few basic guidelines:

1. Please provide some sort of image of what you want
2. Human and mounted units only (ie. no vehicles etc.).
3. At the moment I'm working on Ancient/Medieval units, although I won't rule out doing gunpowder units in future.
4. I'm interested in filling in the gaps, if there is already a good unit I'm not going to make another.

Otherwise request away.

Without further ado onto the previews.

First up the Gaelic pack. Here are an early Christian period (roughly AD 400) spearman and Viking Age swordsman.

The sword will be shorter in the final version, but I haven't found one I like yet.

Thoughts?

Balam-Agab said:
Feel free to make requests in this thread as well
Thanks for offering to do this. I could use a Sea Peoples archer for my scenario.
Sea Peoples.jpg

Did the Norse people around the 5th century not wear pants or shoes? Must have been extremely cold.
Edit: I thought it was a viking pack, but I guess that's an Irish spearman. Ireland is very under-represented.

Glad to see a new unit maker.

My requests anything:
Central Asian
Indian
African

Hurray! Finally someone making some Irish units!
Perhaps they should have a cloak known as a 'brat', held in place with a brooch?
These sorts of units would fit anywhere from around 400 AD to 1600 AD really; Albrecht Dürer did some woodcuts of Irish warriors, they might be of some inspiration. :)

African -
Mino (Dahomey Amazon)
Spoiler :

Mbuti (Pigmy - spear & crossbow)
Spoiler :

Should come up to about shoulder of normal size unit. Note how long the spear is - use standard size spear? Wearing simple loincloth. Maybe that could be in civ-color.

Maasai lion hunter
Spoiler :

Javelin attack. No shield.

Polar Explorers (Heroic Age)
Spoiler :

Preferably with snowshoes. Suggest a rifle attack. Maybe planting solid civ-color flag for victory? Don't know how difficult it would be to do but possibly a freezing to death animation.

If you're really ambitious then a unit line - on foot, snowshoes, skis. Ice pick/axe worker. A dog sled as settler.

The Mino & explorer images are from wikimedia commons. Mbuti & Maasai pictures are copyright by their various authors & they retain all rights. They are posted here solely to avoid posting links to several different sites with the images scattered across many pages.

Some of them will have brats, especially the later gallowglass and kerns who wore clothes which were entirely saffron, so I'll need a place for civ colour. On that subject; which saffron looks the best and most realistic to all of you?

I'll put a brooch on when I find one (or I may have to make a simple one myself).

On a side note, does anyone have a set archer poses they are willing to share with me? I tried to make them a couple of times myself but I can never get a satisfactory result.

i wonder why everybody represents cristian era gaelic soldiers with bare legs??? i think they might wear some sort of trousers - also usefull for winter scenarios.....

Just a thought - I'd have the Irish a bit shaggier (hair and beards), no footwear generally - for the 400AD a plain shield and no stripe on tunic ...

There are many reports from the 16th century describing the Irish as frequently wearing a tunic and nothing on their legs.

Edit: I had slightly misremembered. Perhaps I was getting confused with his indoor habits compared to his military habits.

Here is a quote from Baron Muenchhausen concerning an Irish nobleman in 1590:

"... I wondered about their boorishness and coarseness, for the noble-man of this house had taken off his trousers and stockings, stood in front of the fire and lifted his shirt and let everybody see his backside."

"When they rise a horse, they have neither stirrups, nor boots nor spurs. They wear a coat of mail over their bodies, a shield hanging from their arm and they have a long spike in front of their saddle and a servant running 10 or 20 steps behind them. The servants only wear helmets and carry a broadsword at their sides, the upper part of their bodies being naked."

Lenox-Conyngham (Ed), 'Ludolf von Muenchhausen, 4 March 1590', Diaries of Ireland

Here are a couple of High Medieval Gaels based on Jerry's image:
Spoiler :

On the axeman, I'd say make the shirt civ color and the pants brown, so it shows up better. Other than that, they're great.
I don't have Ireland in my epic mod (but hopefully I cant have them if we ever get our own game), but it'd be nice to have culturally diverse barbarians. And also some mercenaries.

blam-agab the first, you are worth your motto. :hatsoff:

ps give the hebridean viking a longer civ coloured shirt and make his shield wider - like in the picture.....and the cloak of the gaelian skirmisher a little longer too...

and i think everyone wishes to see that lithuanian axeman available for the game...i wonder if you would want to add such an exotic unit to this marvelous game...:hmm:

i just found this picture with lithuanian light units....i have downloaded it and i think you could check it too...it would be nice to have a unit line

Spoiler :

Here are a couple of later Gaels a late medieval Gallowglass and a 16th Century Redshanks Mercenary armed with a Lochaber Axe:
Spoiler :

I haven't decided where to put the civ colour on the Gallowglass (the trews maybe?) if anyone else has any thoughts...

I've also started on a couple of the requests made:

The Sea Peoples Archer for Big Bopper
Spoiler :

A Mbuti Spearman for Blue Monkey
Spoiler :

Blue Monkey- Any idea how that Mbuti crossbow is fired? it's too big to be fired from the shoulder. Under the arm or from the hip maybe?

Also which kind of spear were you envisioning for the Maasi Lion Hunter? From my research it seems that they used two types; long and sword-like and leaf shaped. I'll likely also make a regular spearman who has a shield as well.

The Mbuti spearman looks great!
Blue Monkey- Any idea how that Mbuti crossbow is fired? it's too big to be fired from the shoulder. Under the arm or from the hip maybe?
Those two pictures are the only good ones I found. From the length - and knowing they were hunting in a forest with dense undergrowth - I would guess under the arm. Or maybe placed on the ground and fired similar to a mortar? But those are just guesses. Unless someone with more knowledge (or photos) posts, do what you think best.

Also which kind of spear were you envisioning for the Maasi Lion Hunter? From my research it seems that they used two types; long and sword-like and leaf shaped. I'll likely also make a regular spearman who has a shield as well.
I like the style in the photos posted earlier - a long straight blade, a somewhat short shaft / handle, and a spike on the other end. I think that style would be useful fighting a lion up close as well as at range.

Thanks for doing these.

Top Bottom